Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office (BBC) Season Finale, 11/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
The Office (BBC) Season Finale, 11/16

Well, I can hardly believe it was the season finale, but oh well. What a short season.

Anyway, I guess it looks like David is still "redundant," and the receptionist is apparently leaving. I didn't really like this episode that much, esp. for a season finale. Not too many laughs, a bit of a downer, and a rather flat last episode.

Anyone have any idea when it starts up again? NOT next fall, is it?
Old 11-17-03, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently there aren't going to be any more seasons (or 'series' as they call them in the UK), though there are likely to be a couple one-off specials.
Old 11-17-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I read there might be one christmas special and that is it. Though Ricky Gervis is helping out with the US version. And he did say that is Speilberg wanted to make an office movie, he would be interested.

Only 12 episodes I belive. I couldn't wait for season 2 to come out so I bought the R2 which is probably cheaper than what the R1 will be. Great Series, but not as good as Father Ted.
Old 11-17-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Over? wow...
One thing about Britcoms, they don't drag them to death kicking and screaming like we do. I remember watching Fawlty Towers dvd, and watching the interview with John Cleese, about how there were only 12 episodes. He said something like 'Well, we had said all we wanted to say.'
I can respect that. I hate it, because some shows I like, I want them to continue, but I'd rather them pull the plug than jump the shark. Red Dwarf came close to the shark, when they
Spoiler:
brought Kochanski back
, they seemed to American-ize it which was disappointing. [I still really like the final episode of The Young Ones.]

How many series of The Office were there? As much as I like it, and find it very funny/sad, I think the humour could get old suddenly, so if this is the final real episode, it might be for the better.
That said, I have no comment on 11/16's episode, I dvr'ed it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I wish BBC America had it on their 'On Demand' list, I could catch up, because I missed a lot of episodes.
Old 11-17-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
I can't believe this is the absolute end already. How weird. I agree it's good not to drag a show on forever, long past its prime, but this one was just getting warmed up!

It just felt like such a downer for me, with David
Spoiler:
begging to keep his job (though apparently unsuccessfully)
and with Tim
Spoiler:
making one more plea to the receptionist who constantly flirts with him and getting wholly rejected again.

Kinda funny the last word of the season (and apparently the series):
Spoiler:
"And people say she's just a big pair of t*ts."

Overall it ended on a real downer it seemed though I'm definitely bummed it's over for good.
Old 11-17-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
I didn't know whether to laugh at loud or feel sorry for Brent in that last scene begging for his job. I guess that was the point of the scene. Not many laughs, but I did still enjoy the episode.