Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Halloween Extended Cut vs. Theatrical Cut (99 THX)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the extended cut look any better than the theatrical 99 THX cut? I was just curious as I was thinking of picking up the extended cut. The extended cut only has one version of the film and no extras. The theatrical cut has more audio options, extras, and the pan and scan version. So, I am guessing the extended cut looks better because of less "stuff" on it (better compression, etc.). Anyone tell a difference?
Old 11-15-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone?
Old 11-15-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The extended cut exactly looks like the 1999 DVD. The extended cut disc is a single-layer disc only containing a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and a Dolby Digital mono track. The 1999 DVD contains a dual-layer disc with both anamorphic widescreen and pan and scan transfer, extras (30 minute documentary, trailers, television spots, radio spots), and Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0, and mono (IIRC).
Old 11-15-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the regular theatrical cut, unfortunately by the time I got my dvd player in 2000 those Limited Editions were pretty much gone.

I'm a pretty big Halloween fan, and I'd recommend getting the theatrical cut from 99, based upon reviews read that the new H25 version has removed alot of the blue lighting that helped made the movie have some spooky atmosphere. Bottomline is make a decision on which one you want and keep it, cause Anchor Bay will keep on rereleasing this if we keep buying em.
Old 11-15-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

demonio,

The extended cut can also be purchased separately - though there seems to be fewer copies around.
Old 11-15-03, 10:57 PM

I have the extended version and it looks very good although the 12 minutes of extra footage really doesn't add anything to the movie...these scenes were filmed only to make the network tv version longer.

Davey M.
Old 11-16-03, 03:08 AM

I have the limited edition version, with both cuts. I don't remember the quality being any different. I recommend seeing both versions even though I prefer the theatrical cut because the added scenes give us a little more background on Michael but the problem is that we shouldn't know much about him.
Old 11-16-03, 11:03 AM

Im another owner of the limited edition, by the way rocks. I thought about selling this once with the new disc coming out, but Im glad I held on to it, the new one sucks.

Ive only watched the extended version once or twice. Its in dolby surround and its OK. The video quality on both are very good, and Im happy the TV version is not cut, nudity. Im impressed with the 5.1 track on the theatrical, hearing the score at the beginning blew me away. I also have the Army of Darkness limited edition and only watched the other cut once or twice too. I hope Anchor Bay would get the transfer from MGM in Korea, because the extra scenes look rough. 5.1 tracks would make both of these versions, AOD and Halloween more watchable.

If your a Major fan of this movie, this is the only version to have. You get get away cheap and buy the two sepperatly, but if you have a few extra bucks, you can always pick one up on Half or Ebay. Its nice to see the extra scenes included, but the sound quality and pic quality on AOD suffer.
Old 11-16-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dissenting opinion: The picture on the H25 edition is AMAZING. Yes, yes, I know all about the color-correction issues, and sometimes the grass does look a little too green here and the walls not enough blue there. BUT these are really minor, isolated instances and cannot take away from the breathtaking clarity you get throughout with the new release.

Let's face it, when the '99 LE version was first produced, compression technology was not all that great. By the time I viewed my beloved LE again earlier this year, I was really disappointed in the picture quality, and all of the digital grain inherent in that version.

I am VERY happy that I upgraded.

Oh, and I don't miss the Extended Cut at all. Those scenes really messed with the pacing of the film, in my opinion, and as stated above were a CONCESSION which Carpenter made in order to seal a TV deal. Who needs 'em?
Old 11-16-03, 05:14 PM

The UKR2 version is probibly best, as its still available and is basically a port of the Limited 2 disc version, and its very cheap over here, in fact they are practically putting it in bins. It has the nice lenticular cover as well. I bought it for about $7 which is a lot cheaper than the R1 limited edition thats for sure.
Old 11-16-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Been a while for me to view my copy, so maybe someone will be kind enough to clarify which version I have:

Mine is an Anchor Bay with a Hollogram cover & THX. Is this the preferred version?

Sonicflood
Old 11-17-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Sonicflood
Been a while for me to view my copy, so maybe someone will be kind enough to clarify which version I have:

Mine is an Anchor Bay with a Hollogram cover & THX. Is this the preferred version?

Sonicflood
That is the '99 Theatrical cut.