Community
Search

Dividing Up Bond 007 Sets - A Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dividing Up Bond 007 Sets - A Suggestion

Hello all,

Many of us are aware of (and unhappy about) the fact that the new releases of the James Bond 007 movies are only going to be available in sets, and not as individual movies. There has been a thread on this topic:

Bond Vol 2 and 3...

It seems that there is enough people interested in getting single movies, and enough variety in which disks people want, that a mechanism for getting sets and distributing the disks could be worked out among the DVD Talk forum readers.

I suggest that people who are interested in getting only one or two of the movies use the DVD Exchange Forum to link up with other DVDTalkers. One person can get the set (either before or after getting the $ from the other participants) and then send out the disks. I expect that there will be members who will do this, perhaps even if all of the disks in a set haven't been spoken for (hint - eBaying the extras will probably be fairly lucrative).

I don't need any of the disks, having gotten them all in the last round of releases. I suggested this mechanism as an option in the above-mentioned thread, and thought I'd publicize it a bit more for those members who might be interested.

kthemmes has already started one thread in DVD Exchange:

Bond Disk Exchange

If we can't get the studio to do it the way we want it, we might as well do it ourselves!
Old 11-15-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Why not stand up to MGM, let them know how we feel about it, and simply not buy them. If we complain, then attention will be brought to it... but doing the exchange thing is NOT a viable option.

"If we can't get the studio to do it the way we want it, we might as well do it ourselves!"
Nonsense! If we If we can't get the studio to do it the way we want it, then they don't get our money!
Old 11-15-03, 08:51 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Bond trading (pardon the pun)

"Nonsense! If we If we can't get the studio to do it the way we want it, then they don't get our money!"

I think that's being a little harsh, and I have to defend DavidK on this one. Everyone is free to protest this move by MGM, which I'll readily agree is short-sighted on their part. Not everyone, however, wants to fight back to the point that he fails to get the remaining titles he needs.

So, let's let everyone deal with this the way he feels is best.

Peace!
Old 11-15-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I would complain, but the two movies I really want are the last two on my list of Bond movies to own (FYEO and Moonraker) and not that much of a priority. I won't buy, but just because I don't care.
Old 11-15-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I posted this in another Bond thread IIRC, but I still tons of Bond discs from the last box set run at the used CD shops I frequent. They even have those Best Buy exclusive discs from DAD.
Old 11-15-03, 11:02 AM

I agree that the best outcome would be to change MGM's mind and have them release the disks individually. However, right now that doesn't seem like it is going to be an option. If people want to protest by not buying the disks, that is fine with me. However, if you are going to take that approach, make sure that you contact MGM and let them know that you are doing so, and why. If you don't, they'll have no way of knowing what is going on, and your gesture will be much less meaningful.

As I said in my initial post, I have all of the Bonds from the previous two releases, and so I don't need to get any from these sets. I merely suggested a way that those people who really want to own these disks can get them without lining MGM's pockets enormously. What's better - have five people buy five sets, or have five people get together and buy only one set?

Those who want to get the disks will do so, those who want to protest will do so. Democracy (and capitalism) in action.
Old 11-15-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by DavidK
[B]I agree that the best outcome would be to change MGM's mind and have them release the disks individually. However, right now that doesn't seem like it is going to be an option. If people want to protest by not buying the disks, that is fine with me. However, if you are going to take that approach, make sure that you contact MGM and let them know that you are doing so, and why. If you don't, they'll have no way of knowing what is going on, and your gesture will be much less meaningful.
That is what I said in my original post. Also, keep in mind that people said that about Willy Wonka too... but grassroots movement resulted in an OAR disc to be released. Assuming that such a boycott will be ineffective is a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Originally posted by DavidK
As I said in my initial post, I have all of the Bonds from the previous two releases, and so I don't need to get any from these sets. I merely suggested a way that those people who really want to own these disks can get them without lining MGM's pockets enormously. What's better - have five people buy five sets, or have five people get together and buy only one set?
What's "better" is people exercising a little bit of self-control and restraint and refusing to play the game that MGM has set up.
Old 11-15-03, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I posted this in another Bond thread IIRC, but I still tons of Bond discs from the last box set run at the used CD shops I frequent. They even have those Best Buy exclusive discs from DAD.
I'm with Milo - I've seen several of the last release of Bond discs widely available, and I as understand there is absolutely no difference between these and the newly released set versions. I've even seen them at a few Blockbuster's as well - this was how I was able to complete my collection when the first three sets went OOP (I only had the first and third sets). Ebay was also very helpful, and I paid no more than $20 for each of them ($25 went to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which was an E-Bay item).

I haven't checked recently, but I'm sure these can still be gotten individually, it just might require a little more time, energy and maybe $$ - but I was able to do it.

Last edited by goatweed; 11-15-03 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-15-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
As a Bond Loyalist, I say get 'em all and feast.
Old 11-15-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got lucky... I need all the dvds in both sets anyway...gettin' both on Tuesday. I'll sell DAD, or keep it as a back-up in case quality control was sitting on their ass while pressing the first one.
Old 11-16-03, 04:36 AM

I Checked the forums over at the DigitalBits.

A member on their forum boards called MGM. He was informed by the customer service rep. that they have no intentions of releasing them as singal DVD's, only to be sold in box sets.

he was informed there may be a possibility of them being released early next year as singles.

I have checked all the local stores here that sell used DVD's
I Havent had any luck finding any of the dvd's I need for my collection.

Just hoping for a miracle on Tuesday, but then again i would be dreaming.