Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Preview of The Beatles Let It Be ... Naked

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-14-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.beatles.com/letitbeNaked/site.php
Old 11-14-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Hmm.. Those are pretty brief clips. But it really has an "unplugged" feeling. Not that I'm complaining, but for years Paul has said he wanted to release this album like the Beatles had intended; they never released an album this sparse during their time together. It sorta sounds like their outtakes from the White Album that you get on Anthology. Any reviews for the new album up yet?
Old 11-14-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God, I LOVE the anthology tracks from the White Album. The version of "Good Night" is so much better with just the piano, IMO.
Old 11-15-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Any reviews for the new album up yet?
Here's one:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/1...062879,00.html
Old 11-15-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm quite excited about this album. These songs will more than hold up without Spector's excessive instrumentation. I hope that they keep Harrison's solo in "Let it Be," though. I can't imagine how my favorite guitar break could get any better.

George Martin said that the best version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" was the original way he heard it - just Lennon and an acoustic guitar. Too bad he never recorded it.
Old 11-15-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm excited about it too. Not only has it been De-Spectorized but also remixed to punch it up. It sounds as if someone cleaned a chunk of fuzz off the needle.

It also rights the wrong of having left off the great Lennon tune Don't Let Me Down.

Tuesday night I'll be kicking back and listening with relish.
Old 11-15-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Any reviews for the new album up yet?
Just got the latest "Q" magazine yesterday...

They give it 2 stars out of 5

Here's the last paragraph:
Mercifully, the original Let it Be remains on sale. For all it's faults, that's the proper version. As for Let it Be...Naked, just put it down to one man's bile and don't be on Spector summoning McCartney as a character witness should the need arise
Old 11-15-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
gotta agree with:
Mercifully, the original Let it Be remains on sale. For all it's faults, that's the proper version.
I just listened to the album. I suppose it's due to all the years of listening to the original, but that's the one I prefer. But, if this is the way it was intended to be recorded, i'm glad to have both versions..
Old 11-15-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't notice much difference between the demos on the web page and the originals on Let it Be.
Old 11-16-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
Here's the last paragraph:
Mercifully, the original Let it Be remains on sale. For all it's faults, that's the proper version. As for Let it Be...Naked, just put it down to one man's bile and don't be on Spector summoning McCartney as a character witness should the need arise
My understanding is that George gave this project his blessing and Ringo has been widely quoted as loving it. Also the review that I linked shows that McCartney was unusually hands off with it. The addition of Don't Let Me Down and the beautiful treatment that Across the Universe receives doesn't strike me as bile as far as the Lennon/McCartney rivalry. As for Spector ... he has done some incredible work in the studio but puking all over Let It Be isn't included in that for me.

Last edited by nazz; 11-16-03 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 12:30 PM

I'm really looking forward to hearing The Long and Winding Road. That is a song I've never liked...even a little bit. I call it The Long and Winding Song. I really can't stand it. I'm hoping that when I hear the "naked" version I'll have a wonderful epiphany like "Wow! Now that's a great song." That would be cool.
Old 11-17-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
K-Mart will have this for $9.99! Or price match at CC or BB. They have it listed for $11.99.
Old 11-17-03, 09:46 AM

The addition of Don't Let Me Down and the beautiful treatment that Across the Universe receives doesn't strike me as bile as far as the Lennon/McCartney rivalry.
The review referred to the bile MCartney held over Spector's work on the record, not anything to do with Lennon. The reviewer saw the new version as McCartney's revenge on Spector after years of essentially hating Spector's work on the album.
Old 11-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shiv Shankly
The review referred to the bile MCartney held over Spector's work on the record, not anything to do with Lennon. The reviewer saw the new version as McCartney's revenge on Spector after years of essentially hating Spector's work on the album.
Actually I must disagree with this having nothing to do with Lennon. Spector's being called in to make an album out of the hundreds of hours of tape was at the insistence of John. Paul was totally against Spector doing this work but Lennon prevailed and that's what led to Let It Be becoming the album that we have come to know.
Old 11-17-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been quite suspicious of the timing of this new Let it Be ever since it was announced. Take a look at some of Spector's credits:

George Harrison All Things Must Pass (1970) Producer
George Harrison Concert for Bangladesh (1971) Producer
George Harrison Living in the Material World (1973) Producer
George Harrison All Things Must Pass [30th... (2001) Producer
George Harrison My Sweet Lord [Japan CD] (2002) Producer
John Lennon & Yoko Ono Wedding Album (1969) Producer
John Lennon John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (1970) Piano, Producer
John Lennon Imagine (1971) Producer
John Lennon Sometime in New York City/Live Jam (1972) Producer
John Lennon Shaved Fish (1975) Producer
John Lennon Rock 'n' Roll (1975) Producer
John Lennon John Lennon Collection (1982) Producer
John Lennon Live in New York City (1986) Recording Supervision
John Lennon Menlove Ave. (1986) Producer
John Lennon Imagine: John Lennon [Original... (1988) Producer
John Lennon Lennon (1990) Producer
John Lennon Lennon Legend: The Very Best of... (1997) Producer
John Lennon Anthology (1998) Producer
John Lennon Wonsaponatime (1998) Producer

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=R26999#APPEAR

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 11-17-03 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 06:00 PM

i picked it up today and i'd say let it be...naked's the way the album should've been done all along imho
Old 11-17-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I have been quite suspicious of the timing of this new Let it Be ever since it was announced. Take a look at some of Spector's credits:
This project had George's blessing and had begun prior to his death.

We'll never know what John would think but I have a feeling he was at least fed up with Spector after the Rock & Roll sessions.

As I recall a manic Spector stole the tapes and refused to give them to Lennon. He went so far as to run John off with pistols when he tried to retrieve them. Capitol eneded up having to pay Spector to get them only to have John realize that most of the material was horribly overproduced and unusable. Lennon and Spector are thought to never have spoken since.

I don't think old Phil would be using John for a character reference either.

Last edited by nazz; 11-17-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Christ, what is it with Phil Spector pulling guns on people?
Old 11-18-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Kite!
I'm really looking forward to hearing The Long and Winding Road. That is a song I've never liked...even a little bit. I call it The Long and Winding Song. I really can't stand it. I'm hoping that when I hear the "naked" version I'll have a wonderful epiphany like "Wow! Now that's a great song." That would be cool.
I don't think that epiphany will be coming. Maybe it's just having heard the original version so many times, but the Naked version now sounds like a demo version of a (IMO) mediocre song instead of a studio version.

Having said that, most of the other changes on Naked result in at least small improvements in my opinion. In particular, I don't remember "I've Got A Feeling" sounding quite so muscular on the original version, and I picked up a lot of little things going on in the background of "For You Blue" that I quite liked. I must admit to missing some of the "studio chatter" bits between songs, though.

On the whole, I'd have to say this version is a definite winner compared to the original.
Old 11-18-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Our local guy touched on it today

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derog...beatles18.html
Old 11-18-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Meatpants
Our local guy touched on it today

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derog...beatles18.html
"(there is little good to be said about tunes such as "Dig a Pony" or "Two of Us")"

Whatever dude. Have some more crack.
Old 12-29-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow. i just got around to playing this and i really like this album a lot. let it be has always been "that other beatles album" that i never listened to enough to really even feel like i knew it at all. i gave away my cd of the original let it be soon after buying it... but "naked" will be staying in my collection. arguments of what was intended aside, this is great music.