DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Old Final Fantasy X-2 Thread

Setzer
11-14-03, 12:13 PM
I initially had some hesitation on whether or not I was going to get this but after playing the demo, which was included in the latest issue of OPM, I'm going down to EB today and pre-ordering this one.

I love the FF series but I wasn't to keen on them doing a sequel and when the first media was released on FFX-2 I thought Square was out of it's mind. The pic of Yuna holding two guns...I thought "OMG they've made Yuna into Lara Croft" and the sequel looking like a Tomb Raider 'wannabe'. I enjoyed FFX and thought the ending finished the story nicely, so I couldn't really see the need to do a sequel and if that's the case why not do a sequel to another FF game that was more beloved by the fans, like FFIV, FFVI or FFVII?

Anyways reading OPM's review and playing the demo has changed my mind about this title. The battle system is super action oriented. Gone is the 'turn based' aspect of it, everything is in real-time except when you change jobs in the middle of the battle it goes into this 'Wait' mode as you watch your character transform to the chosen job. Hopefully in the final release there will be a way to skip through this sequence..it's kinda like watching the Aeons make their intro, from FFX, but only shorter. So combat requires quick thinking and I think definitely lessens the 'boredom' of fighting random battles.

The ability to change jobs on the fly, in battle, is killer and adds a unique strategy to the game. Certain bosses or monsters may have an immunity to physical or magical attacks and in this case just change out to the appropriate job. Need to heal? Change to a White Mage, heal, then switch back and deal damage. I like the flexibility.

The game is mission based which is cool cause you're not set on one path the whole game, like FFX. You decide how you want to play the game and how you play the game may result in a different ending which provides alot of customization to the player on which path he/she takes. After you complete the game there's a Game+ feature which will give gamers a reason to replay the game if you choose to do so.

I mentioned resemblence to Tomb Raider earlier and while thats not the case totally there is one aspect of the game they have in common. When moving your character around you now have the ability to jump and climb which you couldn't do before in an FF game...well climbing ladders yeah but I'm talking about making your character leap to grab a ledge and pulling yourself up sorta climbing hehe. You pretty much walked in a straight path, from place to place in FFX, now you have to work your way through obstacles and deal with the random battles. Plus some of the missions are timed based which makes this more of a challenge too. My only gripe about this was that in the demo you couldn't move the camera which made certain areas difficult to manuever thru.

Playing the demo has changed my attitude towards this game and I'm looking forward to picking it up next week. Any of you FF fans that had doubts like I did, do yourself a favor and pick up the newest issue of OPM and give it a try. A nice little bonus on the demo was a 15minute video which kinda ties FFX & FFX-2 together. It was included with FFX International which was a Japan only release.

dancinns
11-15-03, 02:24 AM
I'll definitely pick this game up sometime down the road. I've just got to finish FFX first and spend some time with some of my other games before I even attempt to start FFX2. :)

I'm a FF junky and I'll pretty much play any FF game they put out there without a hesitation.

Superboy
11-15-03, 05:36 AM
After the monumental disaster that was Final Fantasy X, i have no faith in the franchise any longer.

dancinns
11-15-03, 11:58 AM
FFX was a disaster? :hscratch: Could someone elaborate?

Setzer
11-15-03, 05:36 PM
FFX wasn't a disaster. In fact it was probably one of the best in the series. For me, nothing will ever top FFVI & FFIV those were the 2 best titles in the series imho. FFIX and FFX are right behind those two. If you want to call any title in the series a 'monumental' disaster it probably would have to be FFVII or FFVIII but personally I've loved the entire series, some titles more than others. I can't wait to play thru FFX-2 and I'm looking forward to FFXII. Some people think this series is going down hill I believe it's continuing to get better.

Oni$yphon
11-15-03, 05:41 PM
Lol did you just say FFVII was a disaster? That was the one which turned most people onto the series and stands out as a classic right next to FFIII. I personally think that FFIX I don't even know what they were thinking trying to take it backwards like that.

Outlaw
11-15-03, 05:47 PM
I'm watching this with cautious anticipation. I saw a little glimpse of it in a commercial that showed a bunch of PS2 games on TV. IGN has a review of it up already that is very positive. But I'm gonna wait until it has more reviews until I get really excited. I liked FFX, so I'm still looking forward to this game regardless :).

Setzer
11-15-03, 05:55 PM
No, I didn't say it was a disaster. Read the post. I said if you were going to call any games in the series a 'monumental disaster' then you could say FFVII or FFVIII only because the direction the series took with both of those games. I liked the settings of FFI thru FFVI and FFVII took a totally different direction which I wasn't fond of. Doesn't mean I hated the game...I still enjoyed it. Tell me, how can you call FFX a monumental disaster?

Personally I loved FFIX because it reminded me more of the days of FF1-FFVI. FFVI(or FFIII U.S.) is a classic and one of my favorites in the series but FFVII doesn't pale in comparrison to FFVI but thats my opinion. The reason why FFVII turned alot of people on to the FF series was because of Sony's marketing campaign for FFVII. It was one of the biggest for any game ever made and there was alot of 'hype' built up because of it.

Superboy
11-15-03, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Setzer
No, I didn't say it was a disaster. Read the post. I said if you were going to call any games in the series a 'monumental disaster' then you could say FFVII or FFVIII only because the direction the series took with both of those games. I liked the settings of FFI thru FFVI and FFVII took a totally different direction which I wasn't fond of. Doesn't mean I hated the game...I still enjoyed it. Tell me, how can you call FFX a monumental disaster?

Personally I loved FFIX because it reminded me more of the days of FF1-FFVI. FFVI(or FFIII U.S.) is a classic and one of my favorites in the series but FFVII doesn't pale in comparrison to FFVI but thats my opinion. The reason why FFVII turned alot of people on to the FF series was because of Sony's marketing campaign for FFVII. It was one of the biggest for any game ever made and there was alot of 'hype' built up because of it.

FFVII's post-industrial steam-punk setting is what turned off a lot of long-time FF fans, but i enjoyed it.

How was FFX a monumental disaster? because it only focused on having awesome movie-like cutscenes. I didn't mind any of the changes made to the battle system or the gameplay, but they were horrendously executed. The sphere level system sounds interesting in theory, but it took waaaaaaaay too many sphere levels - and by implication AP, and even further, endless battles - to gain a significant boost in stats. The turn-based system was pathetic and required no strategy. ATB was what made FF battles so entertaining - why remove it? Blitzball was by far the most overcomplicated and unfair minigame ever conceived. The sidequests to achieve the ultimate weapons were rediculously difficult - who wants to fight bosses with MILLIONS OF HIT POINTS? the main quest was boring, nonsensical, and overly linear. The characters were some of the largest stereotypes ever seen in a videogame - hey Square, next time don't have a Jock as the main hero, because your fans used to get beat up by them. The dialog was starchy and poorly written, and the lipsynching was the worst i've seen this side of anime. The music was pretty bad too, Nobuo Uematsu's done better.

Well, i guess that's what i would call a monomental disaster.

Setzer
11-15-03, 09:14 PM
About the only thing you said, in regards to FFX, that I agree with would be the Blitzball game. I too thought it was a joke for a mini game and simply chose not to play it. Other than that I loved everything else about FFX. The story, music, which I thought Uematsu did a fantastic job, and battle system were all extremely well done.

I said that I was dissapointed with FFVII only because I really didn't like the change that was made to the series. I thought it completely went away from what they had established with FF1-6. But hey, I excepted it and I enjoyed playing FFVII. It was definitely not the best game in the series but it was a solid game none the less. After FFVII and then playing FFVIII I learned to except the direction Square was going with their franchise. I wasn't too fond of the character designs or the setting in which the games took place in but the stories, gameplay, and music all remained top notch.

As far as cut scenes go...I don't mind them. They definitely add to the story and it does give you a feel that you're actually playing through a movie. Probably the only two things I've really hated about the Final Fantasy games since FFVII have been the long drawn out summons in FFVII and FFVIII and the 'Draw' system from FFVIII. Not being able to skip through the summons sequence in those games made battles longer than they needed to be and for the most part I would purposely not use them. The Draw system was probably the biggest joke ever intoduced into a FF game...Blitzball is a close second. Drawing magic from your enemies became so tedious and boring that I had to buy one of those turbo controllers, set my cursor to memory, and leave my game on while each of my characters drew magic from the enemy until the accumulated 100.

FFX was much better in comparrison to FFVII or FFVIII. If you're going to call FFX a 'monumental' disaster then FFVII and FFVIII were even bigger disasters cause FFX was much better than those two titles, imo.

TOPDAWG
11-16-03, 10:16 AM
I played the demo and the battle system was not fun to me the shit moved to fast for my slow ass. By the time I picked what I wanted to do I'd get hit like 5 times. I will put a little more time into the demo and see if I get better at it. Also WTF where is the big titty girl in the party!? I mean we had lulu in FFX no idea why she is not in FFX2 as one of the mean stars.

I mean I need my boobs in games I like me some big breast on me womens.

nickdawgy
11-16-03, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Superboy
After the monumental disaster that was Final Fantasy X, i have no faith in the franchise any longer.

:lol:

I am sure they'll miss your business

cartman
11-16-03, 06:01 PM
As someone who has purchased every FF game upon release since FFII, I'll be passing on FFX-2 :(. VII is my favorite (followed closely by III (VI, for you purists)), IX made up for the bad taste VIII left in me, and I didn't even bother finishing X. The linear changes, completely non-engrossing story, blitzball, and sphere system really just made me dislike the game. I'll probably get it when it's $15, though.

young
11-16-03, 06:15 PM

you left out, "for superboy"...

although, i didn't like the game that much, i thought FFX was one of the most lucrative ff games. so, in terms of success, it is hardly a disaster of any sort.

i'll wait for ffx-2 to become a greatest hit before i pick it up.

--
btw, there is a presumption that all the FF games will be similar. i disagree. if ffx takes the route of more "cinema" vs gaming, so what? if you don't like it, don't buy it and let the others enjoy it.

Superboy
11-16-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by young
you left out, "for superboy"...

although, i didn't like the game that much, i thought FFX was one of the most lucrative ff games. so, in terms of success, it is hardly a disaster of any sort.

i'll wait for ffx-2 to become a greatest hit before i pick it up.

--
btw, there is a presumption that all the FF games will be similar. i disagree. if ffx takes the route of more "cinema" vs gaming, so what? if you don't like it, don't buy it and let the others enjoy it.

I am posting an opinion, not stating facts. As my english teacher once said, never say "I think" or "I believe", because it weakens your argument.

Any-ways...like i said, i didn't mind the changes, but they were horribly executed. FF games have ALWAYS been cinematic, but FFX apparantly had all it's energy poured into it's graphics and cinemas. The cinemas themselves are rather boring to watch because while visually engrossing, they aren't at all exciting and the dialogue sucks. I think you spent more time reading in FFVI than you do watching cinemas in FFX.

nickdawgy
11-17-03, 12:21 AM
The cinemas themselves are rather boring to watch because while visually engrossing, they aren't at all exciting and the dialogue sucks.

Did we play the same game or was yours some boring, mediocre, pirated special edition?

:rolleyes:

Setzer
11-17-03, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by cartman
As someone who has purchased every FF game upon release since FFII, I'll be passing on FFX-2 :(. VII is my favorite (followed closely by III (VI, for you purists)), IX made up for the bad taste VIII left in me, and I didn't even bother finishing X. The linear changes, completely non-engrossing story, blitzball, and sphere system really just made me dislike the game. I'll probably get it when it's $15, though.

If you had read my post you would have found out that Square has gone away from a linear storyline for FFX-2. The game is mission based and totally non-linear. The battle system has been given an overhaul, the ATB combat system, which was used in all FF games up through FFIX, is back but now the action is real-time. Gone is the sphere grid, which I thought was a unique approach to advancing your characters, and back is the leveling system of old, which I'm happy about. Oh, and no blitzball mini game. So, from it sounds like, everything you disliked about FFX will not be in FFX-2.

Superboy
11-17-03, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Did we play the same game or was yours some boring, mediocre, pirated special edition?

:rolleyes:

Yes, who could forget such Oscar-worthy dialogue such as "Need...FIRE!" and "Need...FOOD!" and nearly everything said by Rikku and Wakka.

nickdawgy
11-17-03, 03:13 AM
Yes, who could forget such Oscar-worthy dialogue such as "Need...FIRE!" and "Need...FOOD!" and nearly everything said by Rikku and Wakka.

Nobody said it was "Oscar worthy" dialogue. It wasn't as bad as you say it was, though.

RocShemp
11-17-03, 08:38 AM
FFX is by no means terrible. It's actually a good game. Just not up to the standards of previous FF games. The only FF game I'd classify as mediocre is FFVIII. The junction system was an interesting approach but overused. (You had to junction a particular Aeon so one character could do a simple thing like block?!) Also, though paramagic was all fine and dandy for the "regular" characters and okay for all during the first half of the game, given the storyline and the fact that certain characters are supposed to be sorcerers, learned magic and MP should have popped up during the latter half of the game. Of course, exclusive to the so-called sorcerers in the game. The other bad part was that Squall was a boring cliche and just really made me not want to play the game. In fact, I hated all the characters except for Seifer (who was also another cliche but not so bad) and calling the story weak is an understatement. The only reason I played it for so long is because I hoped something great would happen eventually to make me happy with my purchase. No such luck. The game is wonderfully packaged (the graphics at the time were top notch and the cinemas are the best the PS era FF games have ever had and the opening score/sequence was fantastic) but under that is nothing but a pile of good and mediocre ideas mashed together into a pile of crap.

young
11-17-03, 09:08 AM
I am posting an opinion, not stating facts. As my english teacher once said, never say "I think" or "I believe", because it weakens your argument.

Any-ways...like i said, i didn't mind the changes, but they were horribly executed. FF games have ALWAYS been cinematic, but FFX apparantly had all it's energy poured into it's graphics and cinemas. The cinemas themselves are rather boring to watch because while visually engrossing, they aren't at all exciting and the dialogue sucks. I think you spent more time reading in FFVI than you do watching cinemas in FFX.

i think you need to think for yourself. i believe you need a new english teacher.

by stating your opinion as fact, it is less credible and easily refuted... ie you're wrong.

gamerankings - 91%

that's a fact.

Gromit
11-17-03, 11:05 AM
I'll probably never get around to it, but I need to check out the earlier FF games. FFX is the only one I've played. I really liked it though. The combat in FFX-2's demo was freaking me out. :) Slow down! I wanna think about it!

Josh H
11-17-03, 11:08 AM
i think you need to think for yourself. i believe you need a new english teacher.

rotfl

You hit the nail on the head. That english teacher is full of crap. State facts as facts, and opinions as opinions.

Stating opinions as fact doesn't make an argument stronger, it just makes you look pompous and will cause people to quit reading your work.

Joshic
11-17-03, 11:53 AM
well, I for one can't wait until I play FFX-2. Continuing the FFX story, hot chicks in multiple outfits. It's always nice to see hot chicks in skimpy outfits in video games. no complaints here. :)

Now the only problem is finding the time to play another RPG...

Superboy
11-17-03, 02:22 PM

by stating your opinion as fact, it is less credible and easily refuted... ie you're wrong.

gamerankings - 91%

that's a fact.

That's not a fact - that's STILL an OPINION - or rather the average of many opinions, which does not make it a FACT, my friend.

Fine, fine, fine...

I think Final Fantasy X was a monumental disaster.

Setzer
11-17-03, 02:26 PM
All you have to say is you didn't like it instead of stating something that isn't true.

Setzer
11-17-03, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Gromit
I'll probably never get around to it, but I need to check out the earlier FF games. FFX is the only one I've played. I really liked it though. The combat in FFX-2's demo was freaking me out. :) Slow down! I wanna think about it!

Yeah, they definitely sped things up but I think once you get the hang of it then it won't be a problem. Personally I find doing random battles after awhile can get boring so anything done to speed things up is a plus. It definitely keeps you on your toes and requires some quick thinking.

cartman
11-17-03, 04:17 PM
If you had read my post you would have found out that Square has gone away from a linear storyline for FFX-2. The game is mission based and totally non-linear. The battle system has been given an overhaul, the ATB combat system, which was used in all FF games up through FFIX, is back but now the action is real-time. Gone is the sphere grid, which I thought was a unique approach to advancing your characters, and back is the leveling system of old, which I'm happy about. Oh, and no blitzball mini game. So, from it sounds like, everything you disliked about FFX will not be in FFX-2.

I did read your post and don't appreciate you stating what you did in your first line here. People do it (make a statement declaring that the person is either a moron for not "getting" what you wrote, or a "skim replier") all the time on these boards, and it's a bugger.

The last few FF games have been very hit or miss for me, and haven't engrossed me since VII. Regardless of their going back to their "old ways", I'll still be waiting until this hits $15, just as I stated in my previous post (jab).

Setzer
11-17-03, 06:26 PM
I did read your post and don't appreciate you stating what you did in your first line here. People do it (make a statement declaring that the person is either a moron for not "getting" what you wrote, or a "skim replier") all the time on these boards, and it's a bugger.

There's no need to be an ass dude. I never implied that you were a 'moron' but your reasoning into why you wouldn't be purchasing FFX-2 lead me to believe you didn't read my post. You said:

The linear changes, completely non-engrossing story, blitzball, and sphere system really just made me dislike the game. I'll probably get it when it's $15, though.

To me that sounds like someone who disliked FFX because of the linear story, stupid mini-game, and the sphere system and because of those factors you would not be purchasing FFX-2, but maybe when the game hit GH status you would consider it. I simply pointed out to you, from my original post, that FFX-2 wasn't going to contain the features you disliked about FFX. No linear story line, no Blitzball, and no sphere system. So, essentially everything you disliked about FFX wasn't going to be included in FFX-2. It's fine with me if you don't buy the game, that's your decision.

Galanthas
11-17-03, 08:31 PM
Gamespot Review

Score 8.1 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasyx2/review.html)

Last Paragraph
Gamers have long clamored for Square to continue the storyline of one of its Final Fantasy games, and with good reason. After spending a good 50 hours with a group of characters embroiled in one life-or-death situation after another, you can't help wanting more. Now the concept of a direct sequel has been put into practice, and the result is Final Fantasy X-2: a slightly uneven but still engaging game that's worthy of the revered name. The story's almost-total reliance on a familiarity with Final Fantasy X may limit its audience to those who enjoyed that game, but then, if you're into RPGs and own a PlayStation 2, odds are you've finished FFX at least once already. At its best, FFX-2 is every bit as poignant, endearing, and engrossing as its forebears, and it's this similarity to stronger games in the series that ultimately makes X-2's minor flaws forgivable.

By Brad Shoemaker

IGN Score 9.5 (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/458/458474p1.html)

Jtnguyen12
11-17-03, 09:03 PM
Just Pre-order it at Ebgames w/ Stragety Guide for FREE plus $15.00 Credit)

Received extra $10 bonus for Any PS2 games toward FFX-2 Purchase!

Very good Dealz :)

Setzer
11-17-03, 09:34 PM
For those of you that feel the combat system in FFX-2 is too fast paced for your liking, I caught this while reading the Gamespot review:

The game's battles flow at an extremely quick rate, almost so quick that it can be hard to keep track of everything (though config options allow you to slow things down to suit your tastes).

:thumbsup:

cartman
11-17-03, 09:41 PM
There's no need to be an ass dude.

You follow up what I took as an offensive (though slightly) reply with another one? Perhaps a few hits of the "enter" key would have made my post a bit clearer, but the name calling was still unnecessary.

Setzer
11-17-03, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by cartman
You follow up what I took as an offensive (though slightly) reply with another one? Perhaps a few hits of the "enter" key would have made my post a bit clearer, but the name calling was still unnecessary.

Well I don't know what I need to do to make my posts any more clearer to you because you still don't get it. You took my reply to you as some sort of insult to your intelligence, which it wasn't. From your post I gathered that you did not read or fully read my post and I was letting you know the features you disliked about FFX were not going to be in FFX-2. Thought you would be happy to hear that.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding you. Are you implying that no matter what changes they made to FFX-2 from FFX you still won't play it because of the things you hated about FFX or are you implying you're not going to play FFX-2 because you don't want to play a game that has the same features as its predecessor?

RJainMJ
11-17-03, 10:36 PM
I must admit, even as a huge FF fan, I've been out of the news lately. I saw that they are releasing a FF7 CG movie. That's interesting, but I wonder why they could not make it into a video game? Not enough of a story? It'll be weird watching it...

FFx-2 looks promising after reading that review. I'll definitely be picking it up.

As for the previous FFs, I thoroughly enjoyed FFX, although I was turned off a bit by the lack of a personality in Yuna. Somehow, I got into Blitzball quite a bit. It was kind of fun winning like 15-0 everytime. :lol: I loved FFVII and FFIX. VIII was so visually stunning that I have a higher opinion than most of you, despite the annoyingness of that Draw system. I love the CG movies, they add so much to the experience IMO. Anyway...I can't wait for the release of FFX-2. Amazon has the release date as being Friday, but has anyone found one yet?

Setzer
11-17-03, 10:42 PM
The game should be available in most places by Wednesday. I found out that if you had pre-ordered and paid for the game in full at Gamestop you can pick up your copy tomorrow. Well, at least thats the case for my local Gamestop in Olympia, WA. EB told me that they will have their copies in on Wednesday so I believe thats when a majority of the major retailers should have it.

dom56
11-17-03, 11:46 PM
Check it out. You can see what outfits the girls will be wearing by dragging the icon on them. I liked the Black Mage outfits the best but I got a feeling everyone going to be playing with the Thief outfits. Can you say thongs baby! :)

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1379821,00.asp

Gromit
11-18-03, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Just Pre-order it at Ebgames w/ Stragety Guide for FREE plus $15.00 Credit)

Received extra $10 bonus for Any PS2 games toward FFX-2 Purchase!

Very good Dealz :)

Where were you yesterday? :)

It looks like that deal is dead. No mention of it at ebgames.com (morning of the 18th). I guess you can't "pre-order" anymore.

cartman
11-18-03, 12:35 PM
Well I don't know what I need to do to make my posts any more clearer to you because you still don't get it. You took my reply to you as some sort of insult to your intelligence, which it wasn't. From your post I gathered that you did not read or fully read my post and I was letting you know the features you disliked about FFX were not going to be in FFX-2. Thought you would be happy to hear that.

Your posts don't need to be clearer, just free of name calling. I got that FFX2 would be hearkening back to the older type games, but the bad taste that FFX (and VIII to some extent) left in me just makes me uninterested in X2. It may very well be a good game that I'll enjoy, but I won't be finding out until it's really cheap.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding you. Are you implying that no matter what changes they made to FFX-2 from FFX you still won't play it because of the things you hated about FFX or are you implying you're not going to play FFX-2 because you don't want to play a game that has the same features as its predecessor?

I was really anxious to buy VII when it came out, and played the heck out of it. I had that same anticipation for VIII and it let me down. As such, when IX came out, I was just eh about it, but still bought it. X was pretty much the same story, and it let me down completely. The anticipation just isn't there any more for FF games in my head, which is why I won't be buying it now.

*cartman goes to store his horse beating mallet*

Setzer
11-18-03, 01:22 PM
Your posts don't need to be clearer, just free of name calling.

Ok then. Then don't act like one. You assumed that I insulted your intelligence, this was not the case. It's over and done with. I apologize for calling you an 'ass' but that's how your reply came off as.

cartman
11-18-03, 08:14 PM
Then don't act like one. I apologize for calling you an 'ass' but that's how your reply came off as.

I still don't see how my stating a pet peeve on internet postings implies that I am an ass. I've reread it a few times, and still don't see how it could be taken as such (other than the fact that I was talking about something that bugged me). Apology accepted, though.

TOPDAWG
11-19-03, 07:05 AM
Well I'll gave it a rent and see if I play better with shit slowed down. Also why people jumping on superboy I liked FFX but had no porb with what he said yet some seemed to take it personal. I knew it was his option and what he said is fact to him the game is shit. I got no idea why some people seem to piss and moan when someone talks about a game. Hell I like FFX but everything he said is true. The story has been seen 900 times before not much was new you had to fight to gain levels to move on the sphere grid so it's the same as just leveling up.

njchris
11-19-03, 08:40 AM
Cartman, Setzer... uh.. let it go already. Or take it to private msgs. You're bringing us down, man! :) :)

Setzer
11-19-03, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by njchris
Cartman, Setzer... uh.. let it go already. Or take it to private msgs. You're bringing us down, man!

I think it's pretty clear that it's over with so no need to take it to PM's. Thanks for the tip though.

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Also why people jumping on superboy

He stated FFX was a 'Monumental Disaster', which it wasn't. All he had to say was he didn't like the game. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion but a game that sold as well as FFX and received positive reviews from the media & fans(check gamerankings.com) does not classify it as a 'Monumental Disaster'.

DARTH GAMER
11-19-03, 10:30 AM
<i> no :crap:</I>

Setzer
11-19-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
Who gives a shit!!! Get a life.

If you don't then don't post in this thread. Maybe you should focus on getting yourself a life first before you tell someone else to do it.

bigsoos
11-19-03, 11:01 AM
cant we just all get along?

DARTH GAMER
11-19-03, 11:30 AM
I think I speak for just about everybody here when I say both of you are acting like a bunch of two year olds. Get over it and lets talk about what this thread is really about. The mods should really put an end to this sort of behavior by suspending people for constaint fighting. THEY'RE GAMES PEOPLE!!!! Who really cares what someone said.

And as far as MY post, I'm glad I pissed you off. It makes up for the bad mood you both put me in having to read all your crap above when all I really what to know is what this thread is supposed to be about, FFX-2.

DJ_Spyder
11-19-03, 11:57 AM
In regards to FFX-2 I'll take a pass if I want to watch scantily clad women all I have to do is just pop in the Charlie's Angels movie in my dvd player and besides the original FFX ending was good enough for me. Yuna should have gotten over the loss of Tidus and just moved on.

jw2299
11-19-03, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by dom56
Check it out. You can see what outfits the girls will be wearing by dragging the icon on them. I liked the Black Mage outfits the best but I got a feeling everyone going to be playing with the Thief outfits. Can you say thongs baby! :)

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1379821,00.asp

Cool, I liked the lady luck costumes myself.

I'm only currently playing through FFX, 30+ hours into it. After I finish that, I may pick up X-2. Or maybe I'll try something else. I'm definitely into RPG's right now though.

Setzer
11-19-03, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
I think I speak for just about everybody here when I say both of you are acting like a bunch of two year olds. Get over it and lets talk about what this thread is really about. The mods should really put an end to this sort of behavior by suspending people for constaint fighting. THEY'RE GAMES PEOPLE!!!! Who really cares what someone said.

And as far as MY post, I'm glad I pissed you off. It makes up for the bad mood you both put me in having to read all your crap above when all I really what to know is what this thread is supposed to be about, FFX-2.

We had a disagreement over something that was said. I apologized for calling calling him an 'ass' cause that's they way he was coming off to me as and I also said that the argument was over and done with. He accepted my apology, we still may not agree with what each other said but we move on. Its DONE
and OVER with but yet we still got people, like yourself that thinks it's still going and is making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

We are discussing FFX-2 thats why I started this thread. I'm NOT the one that started posting stuff about how FFX was a monumental disaster and I'm not the one who was complaining about FFX's features that's not why I started this thread. This thread was suppose to be about FFX-2 but I guess everyone wants to bring up how bad the other titles in the series were instead of talking about FFX-2....thats fine.

I don't care what mood I put you in and no, you didn't piss me off with your post. Yes, they are only games but there's nothing wrong with discussing them and not everyone is going to agree with each other but I wasn't trying to start something with Cartman. I simply pointed out that his dislikes about FFX were not in FFX-2....that's it. I wasn't chewing him out because he didn't like FFX...he's entitled to his opinion.

As for Superboy...he stated FFX was a monumental disaster...what does that have to do with FFX-2? All he had to say was he didn't like FFX and he wasn't going to be getting FFX-2 or heck, don't post at all.

Josh H
11-19-03, 12:29 PM

As for Superboy...he stated FFX was a monumental disaster...what does that have to do with FFX-2? All he had to say was he didn't like FFX and he wasn't going to be getting FFX-2 or heck, don't post at all.

He just stated his opinion and an opinion on a prequel is certainly relevant in a thread discussing anticipating the sequel. He has a right to say, the problem really started with people like you jumping all over him and others. Just respect others opinions or ignore them.

So many people on this forum have some kind of inferiority complex or something that leads them to try and refute/disvalidate every opinion that differs from them.

Just respect others opinons, attacking them just takes threads off topic and causes pointless arguments. I mean who gives a shit if some random person on the internet thinks a game you loved was a monumental disaster? I loved FF-X as well, but Superboy was entitled to his opinon (as was Cartmen) Idisagree with them, but big deal. Different strokes for different folks.

njchris
11-19-03, 12:42 PM
Hijacked much?

Setzer
11-19-03, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
He just stated his opinion and an opinion on a prequel is certainly relevant in a thread discussing anticipating the sequel. He has a right to say, the problem really started with people like you jumping all over him and others. Just respect others opinions or ignore them.

So many people on this forum have some kind of inferiority complex or something that leads them to try and refute/disvalidate every opinion that differs from them.

Just respect others opinons, attacking them just takes threads off topic and causes pointless arguments. I mean who gives a shit if some random person on the internet thinks a game you loved was a monumental disaster? I loved FF-X as well, but Superboy was entitled to his opinon (as was Cartmen) Idisagree with them, but big deal. Different strokes for different folks.

I love how you twist things around man, so you look good in the end. I respect other people's opinion and in no way did I ever put him down because of it but like YOU said....state FACT as FACT and OPINION as OPINION:

rotfl

You hit the nail on the head. That english teacher is full of crap. State facts as facts, and opinions as opinions.

Stating opinions as fact doesn't make an argument stronger, it just makes you look pompous and will cause people to quit reading your work.

FACT: FFX was NOT a Monumental Disaster

OPINION: I did not like FFX

All I did was agree with what you said and you go off bashing me because I don't respect other people's opinion? WTF, man?! Not once have I attacked anyone's opinion on this thread. Read my posts. I agreed with you on Superboy's comment but in no way did I have a problem with him disliking the series or FFX. With Cartman I never bashed him because he did not like FFX all I did was point out to him that the features he disliked about FFX were not going to be in FFX-2. Please tell me how is that not respecting another's opinion.

Also, I never said I loved FFX...don't know where you got that one from and I don't care if someone hates or likes the same games I do. Everyone has their own personal tastes. I have no problem with someone voicing their dislikes towards a particular game just don't post an outrageously false statement about the game, just say you hated it.

Josh H
11-19-03, 04:25 PM
Sometimes you just have to ignore when people state opinions as fact.

Yes it annoys the hell out of me, but I've learned it's just better to ignore moronic comments like that.

I don't think FFX was a monumental disaster, and I would have preferred he simply said he hated it. But I just ignored the comment. You jumped on him for it, and cartman for his statements, and pulled the whole thread into a pointless little pissy fight.

What I mean is I understand why you jumped on him, as he stated opinion as fact, but it's simply not worth it. I just don't pay any attention to people that state opinion as fact and go on with my day and don't ruin threads in the process. But hey, I'm not a mod and it's just advice. Post however you want. :D

Setzer
11-19-03, 06:27 PM
I don't think FFX was a monumental disaster, and I would have preferred he simply said he hated it. But I just ignored the comment. You jumped on him for it, and cartman for his statements, and pulled the whole thread into a pointless little pissy fight.

You didn't ignore his comment. That's why you posted the crap about his English Teacher and how he needs to know the difference between stating a fact and stating an opinion. I never jumped him for it but I did say he should have just posted that he disliked the game instead of stating something that was false.

The whole Cartman thing was taken further than it should have and it's partly my fault the other being Cartman. He said he disliked FFX because of specific features(read his post) and said he wouldn't be picking up FFX-2 because of it. I took this as, he assumed FFX-2 would be similar to FFX in that it would use the same combat system, sphere system etc. So my reply to him was to let him know that was not the case but he took it as an attack on his intelligence, which it wasn't. Even though I clearly stated this in my previous reply to you, you still say I jumped on him. Whatever man, you can say what you want.

What I mean is I understand why you jumped on him, as he stated opinion as fact, but it's simply not worth it. I just don't pay any attention to people that state opinion as fact and go on with my day and don't ruin threads in the process.

And that's why you said......

Obviously if you didn't care if someone was stating opinion as fact then why would you write that? Like you said, 'don't pay any attention to it'.....maybe you should practice what you preach. ;)

Anyways, onto more important matters....FFX-2 was released today and I picked up my copy. :D

TOPDAWG
11-20-03, 12:41 AM
So back on the topic at hand how much can you slow down the fights? I play a RPG to relax and have fun not to think fast and move my fingers fast on the control pad.

Jadakiss
11-20-03, 12:48 AM
I picked up the game tonight and ended up playing for over 2 hours straight. The battles weren't that fast to me, I was able to follow everything to was going on without a problem. If you've played a fair amount of RPGs that used active time, then you shouldn't have a problem with the default speed in this game. I haven't run into a problem yet anyway.

Setzer
11-20-03, 12:58 AM
Well in the Configuration you can set the ATB Mode and Speed. ATB mode by default is set to 'Active' which allows the enemies to attack continuously. Switching it to 'Wait' allows you to make you decision before the enemies can attack. The 'Wait' mode is what you want. Things still move pretty quickly in the 'Wait' mode, it's like they've given you a small window to make your move but the enemies will still attack your characters if you take too long....just not as frequently if you were in 'Active' mode. This is where the ATB speed comes in. By lowering this setting your battle timer gauge will charge slowly thus slowing down battles, giving you more time to make your combat decisions.

If you played the demo and weren't found of how the battles were pretty much 'real-time' then you'll be happy to know you can customize the battles to suit your liking.

Tainted Blood
11-25-03, 11:10 AM
Ok people I just want to say ff7 was the best with ff10 is second it wasent bad like most ppl think it had a grate idea and the cut sceens although if they worked on blitzball somemore i would be in love it was a grate idea ff8 behind placeing thired beacuse of squall and the story was sweet ff9 was horriable like what the hell animal ppl and it basically was a mini game although kuja and vivi were sweet i wanna play ffx-2 its not gonna be that bad im waiting 4 it to come out with anticipation.

flashburn
11-25-03, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Tainted Blood
Ok people I just want to say ff7 was the best with ff10 is second it wasent bad like most ppl think it had a grate idea and the cut sceens although if they worked on blitzball somemore i would be in love it was a grate idea ff8 behind placeing thired beacuse of squall and the story was sweet ff9 was horriable like what the hell animal ppl and it basically was a mini game although kuja and vivi were sweet i wanna play ffx-2 its not gonna be that bad im waiting 4 it to come out with anticipation.

Thanks for setting it straight. I liked FF6 the most, but I guess I am wrong. You also win a prize for the longest run-on sentence ever! Congrats, you win a bucket of cheese.

Everyone, above is the OFFICIAL list of the best Final Fantasy's. Why? Because he said so! :lol:

PixyJunket
11-25-03, 11:32 AM
Ok people I just want to say ff7 was the best with ff10 is second it wasent bad like most ppl think it had a grate idea and the cut sceens although if they worked on blitzball somemore i would be in love it was a grate idea ff8 behind placeing thired beacuse of squall and the story was sweet ff9 was horriable like what the hell animal ppl and it basically was a mini game although kuja and vivi were sweet i wanna play ffx-2 its not gonna be that bad im waiting 4 it to come out with anticipation. :eek:

Setzer
11-25-03, 12:13 PM
I think alot of people, like yourself, consider FFVII to be the best in the series, which is cool. For a lot of people FFVII was the first FF game they played and I could see where you would have not liked FFIX. You probably wondered, 'what the hell is going on??!'. The FF games before FFVII kinda resembled FFIX in terms of the game's setting, game play and character design..short people, big heads. After playing FFVII & FFVIII, FFIX was a step in a totally different direction had you not played FF1-6.

I always thought FFVI was probably the best title in the series but no official announcement has come until now.....looks like FFVII was the best in the series. :lol:

Tainted Blood
11-26-03, 10:37 AM
Thats right ppl thanks for understanding that my word is LAW ff7 is the best and i will destroy any one who says other wise
P.S. Where can I get my bucket of cheese

TOPDAWG
11-26-03, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by flashburn
Thanks for setting it straight. I liked FF6 the most, but I guess I am wrong. You also win a prize for the longest run-on sentence ever! Congrats, you win a bucket of cheese.

Everyone, above is the OFFICIAL list of the best Final Fantasy's. Why? Because he said so! :lol:

God damn flash you need to knock it off you're getting all pissed cause someone is not typing I think or whatever nobody is going to change their writing style to fit YOU'RE needs so knock it off. You're coming off as a ******* and a whiner man. I knew everything people was typing was their option they don't have to spell it out for me. Geez man clam the hell down.

PS. Yes I know it should be calm but I typed it backwards so many times from now on I will spell it like that :P Also WTF is that saying it's the pot calling the other pot black or something.

One more thing flash

.My only complaint is the stupid quick save bug. That will be patched eventually.

You replyed with

Yeah it does kinda suck that saving in the middle of a level is basically pointless right now. But luckily the game is easy as shit, and the levels are short.

Also one more thing you said too

Hey, it has lots of style, just no substance.

So you're telling me the game is easy good thing you told me cause I don't want to think it's hard when flash said something different. Also good thing I don't think the levels are long cause I'd be wrong flash told me that fact. See flash everyone does it so you need to stop already.

PSS. I'm not trying to start anything but showing ya how you look like a ass from you're post and showing you that you do the same thing

flashburn
11-26-03, 11:16 AM
God damn flash you need to knock it off you're getting all pissed cause someone is not typing I think or whatever nobody is going to change their writing style to fit YOU'RE needs so knock it off. You're coming off as a ******* and a whiner man. I knew everything people was typing was their option they don't have to spell it out for me. Geez man clam the hell down.

PS. Yes I know it should be calm but I typed it backwards so many times from now on I will spell it like that :P Also WTF is that saying it's the pot calling the other pot black or something.

Yeah seriously man, you do need to calm down. It was a joke! Just relax, and breath easy.

Yeah it does kinda suck that saving in the middle of a level is basically pointless right now. But luckily the game is easy as shit, and the levels are short.
So you're telling me the game is easy good thing you told me cause I don't want to think it's hard when flash said something different. Also good thing I don't think the levels are long cause I'd be wrong flash told me that fact. See flash everyone does it so you need to stop already.

PSS. I'm not trying to start anything but showing ya how you look like a ass from you're post and showing you that you do the same thing.

Even though this was about XIII, I will comment about it anyway.
I thought the general consensus was that XIII was easy, from the reviews I have read. And it isnt an opinion that the levels are short, they really are (Have you even played XIII?). You can usually hit the end of a 'level' in about 5 minutes, playing at a steady pace.

I think I need to repeat myself, RELAX.

nickdawgy
11-26-03, 11:23 AM

My brain hurts...

TOPDAWG
11-26-03, 11:33 AM
Yeah seriously man, you do need to calm down. It was a joke! Just relax, and breath easy.

I think I need to repeat myself, RELAX.

HAHA ok man if you're joking you damn sure not coming off that way cause you did it like three times in this thread. Anyway lits just drop it now but it was fun debating with ya. Come on buddy gave me a hug I got some cookies and milk if you want some no joke I do I'm going to get get me some now.

TOPDAWG
11-26-03, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nickdawgy
My brain hurts...
Hey I do not want you making fun of my son like that man. I worked very hard to home school him.

flashburn
11-26-03, 11:45 AM
HAHA ok man if you're joking you damn sure not coming off that way cause you did it like three times in this thread. Anyway lits just drop it now but it was fun debating with ya. Come on buddy gave me a hug I got some cookies and milk if you want some no joke I do I'm going to get get me some now.

Huh? Three times? That was the only time I made a comment in this thread. You must've been mistaking me with the 50 other people argueing whether or not FFX was a disaster or not. :lol:rotfl:lol:

V-ism
11-27-03, 03:04 AM
Final Fantasy VI was the best, followed by IV.

(opinion, not fact)

RocShemp
11-27-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by V-ism

(opinion, not fact)

And I agree with that opinion. :thumbsup:

But if we were only to discuss the PS/PS2 era FF games, I feel they rate in the following manner:

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Final Fantasy X
4. Final Fantasy VIII

I've not played Final Fantasy X-2 yet so I have not bothered to rate it and I don't consider Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles or Final Fantasy Origins PS era games since they're just re-releases of games that appeared previously in other consoles (the varying changes made to the games notwithstanding).

Setzer
11-27-03, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by V-ism

(opinion, not fact)

I agree with that opinion as well. :thumbsup:

:D

OtherAdam
11-27-03, 02:28 PM
did anyone get the limited edition guide that comes with the art book? i'm debating if the its worth the 30 bucks...

RJainMJ
11-27-03, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by OtherAdam
did anyone get the limited edition guide that comes with the art book? i'm debating if the its worth the 30 bucks...

Man, I had the same problem. I was at the register and I saw that limited edition guide and I was really tempted to buy it. Some of the art looked incredible and the posters seemed nice. I wish I could have looked through it but it's sealed. I somehow resisted the temptation, though.

FFX-2 is interesting so far. Most noticeable difference so far: Yuna's voice acting! It's much much better! The battles move at a good pace, although I may end up changing the setting to "Wait" mode since thats more what previous FF games were like and I'm more comfortable that way. The battle system is improved IMO, although "changing dresspheres" in the middle of battle and the sequence that follow may get annoying soon. How is everyone else enjoying it?

Crizzar
11-27-03, 07:30 PM
you can also change the animation settings on the dressphere changes same as you could the summoning animations from past FF's :)

Tainted Blood
11-28-03, 01:16 PM
hey dose any one know if theirs gonna be aeons (or summones or what ever else u wish to call them) in ff-x2 or just the costume change thing

Noonan
11-28-03, 03:06 PM
Just the costume changes. No summons in this one.

Sessa17
11-28-03, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry mods, but I tried looking through the other FF X-2 thread but it is 4 pages of kids arguing with each other & only a very few posts actually about the game, so I had to start another thread. That other thread should really be closed.

Anyway, I'm not a big gamer but I'm a huge FF fan & haven't had a chance to play X-2 yet. So I'm cuirous as to what everyone's thoughts are on it. Please no ranting about what the best of the series is, what the best system is etc etc. I would just like to see your thoughts on FF X-2 or how it relates to the previous game.

namja
11-28-03, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Sessa17
I'm sorry mods, but I tried looking through the other FF X-2 thread but it is 4 pages of kids arguing with each other & only a very few posts actually about the game, so I had to start another thread. That other thread should really be closed.
Your new thread ... merged with the old thread. Enjoy.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums

Sessa17
11-28-03, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by namja
Your new thread ... merged with the old thread. Enjoy.

namja

Makes no sense to me, why you would keep a thread that is 3 pages of 2 guys fighting off-topic, rather than just delete that one, but your the mod.

DARTH GAMER
11-28-03, 08:02 PM
Makes no sense to me, why you would keep a thread that is 3 pages of 2 guys fighting off-topic, rather than just delete that one, but your the mod.

I agree. out of the 88 post in this thread, about 4 are on topic. We should scrap this one and begin a new. IMO.

Setzer
11-29-03, 12:44 AM

The reason I started the thread was to discusss FFX-2 but as you can see the majority of people that posted did not want to discuss FFX-2 but wanted to either say how much they hated FFX or what other games in the series were better.

Starting a new thread is pointless and stupid because you'll just end up with the same garbage. Deal with it. And your statement about 'kids arguing'? I'm not a kid. Adults don't have disagreements or arguments? What fantasy world do you live in?

Anyway, I'm not a big gamer but I'm a huge FF fan & haven't had a chance to play X-2 yet. So I'm cuirous as to what everyone's thoughts are on it. Please no ranting about what the best of the series is, what the best system is etc etc. I would just like to see your thoughts on FF X-2 or how it relates to the previous game.

So far I'm thoroughly enjoying FFX-2. I love the battle system and the whole 'dressphere' / job system. At first I thought the battle system was a little too fast for my liking so I slowed things up a bit in the config menu but now that I've gotten the commands down I've sped things back up. Random battles used to be a real drag...not anymore. I also like that the game is totally non-linear. You select which missions you want to go on and in which order. So, you could just do the missions that are part of the main story line or go somwhere else....it's all up to the player. I don't know how far I'm into the game, I've got almost 20 hours logged but I'm having more fun with this one than it's predecessor.

flashburn
11-29-03, 09:28 AM
So far I'm thoroughly enjoying FFX-2. I love the battle system and the whole 'dressphere' / job system. At first I thought the battle system was a little too fast for my liking so I slowed things up a bit in the config menu but now that I've gotten the commands down I've sped things back up. Random battles used to be a real drag...not anymore. I also like that the game is totally non-linear. You select which missions you want to go on and in which order. So, you could just do the missions that are part of the main story line or go somwhere else....it's all up to the player. I don't know how far I'm into the game, I've got almost 20 hours logged but I'm having more fun with this one than it's predecessor.

:thumbsup: Sounds pretty cool. Do you know if this one is longer or shorter than FFX? Does their seem to be more or less videos?

TOPDAWG
11-29-03, 09:46 AM
I got to wait to I beat FFX before I can rent the game but I may gave the demo a go again I tryed it once for like 5 mins and hated it but I will spend more time with it and hope I change my mind.

TOPDAWG
11-29-03, 09:48 AM
:thumbsup: Sounds pretty cool. Do you know if this one is longer or shorter than FFX? Does their seem to be more or less videos?

I remember reading that this game can clock in at 80 hours I hope that is true. I like a long RPG for my money. I think I saw that 80 hour thing in the IGN review I'm not sure but I remember reading it.

Here is the part about how long you can take to beat it from IGN review.

Lasting Appeal
Five different endings, multiple story branches, an open-ended mission structure, 60-80 hours worth of gameplay, and the chance to go back and experience it again with New Game Plus makes it awesome.

RocShemp
11-29-03, 10:14 AM
A friend of mine whose opinions I usually share recently bought this game and told me it's a whole lot of fun so far. By next semester, if his opinion of it is the same or better, guess what I'm buying? ;)

(True, I'd rather rent it first but I forsee difficulty managing that in the near future.)

flashburn
11-29-03, 10:47 AM
Cool, I will have to pick this up once I get some extra cash.

Outlaw
11-29-03, 03:57 PM

I agree, I'll give another :thmbsdwn: to the decision of merging these threads but I'm not the mod so oh well.

I'm interested in hearing about the length of this game too, its sounding pretty good.

Setzer
11-29-03, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw
I'm interested in hearing about the length of this game too, its sounding pretty good.

If you play the game straight through without doing any of the optional missions you can complete the game in around 20 hours. If you play the game through and do all missions(storyline & optional) you could have upwards of 60+ hours to complete it.

cartman
11-29-03, 09:38 PM

If you were referring to me as being one of the "2 guys fighting off topic for 3 pages", I would have to point out that I posted 5 times in this thread (well, now 6), and the first was simply stating my opinion toward my purchase (or non-purchase as the case may be) of the game. I don't really think that would make 3 pages worth. But, either way, to help your cause, I post this, another off topic post, to expedite the starting of a new thread, and as a bonus, I will not return, thus not seeing the coming insults and letting whomever desires to have the last word :lol:.

namja
11-29-03, 11:40 PM
Closing thread for length. Normally 4 pages isn't too long, but in this thread is long on arguing and short on substance. Hope the next thread yields better results. Next thread can be found here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=332762

namja