ER -- "Death and Taxes" 11.13.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Death and Taxes

Lewis's busy workload threatens to keep her from an important date with Hollander (Bob Newhart); Kovac and Corday clash over the treatment of a patient with questionable symptoms; and Sam's son spends a day underfoot at the ER. Meanwhile, Chen gets bad news from China about her parents. Alex: Oliver Davis. Coop: Glenn Howerton. Morris: Scott Grimes. Chuck: Donal Logue.
Another good ep.

Not too excited about Morris coming back. Hopefully his story won't end gracefully.

Kovac was right to do what he did...especially if those tests wouldnt've helped. Poor Lizzie. Won't get to bang that married guy some more.. [yes, I know she said she was missing dinner with her daughter, but that didn't bother her before, did it...?]

I was sad to see Newhart leave.

Oh, and @ Susan hiding Romano's arm in the tampon machine in the women's bathroom.
Old 11-13-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Excellent episode. That makes 3 in a row! Wow.

question about promo for next week:
Spoiler:
Does anyone think that was Gallant, Neela was talking to about getting on that helicopter? The go on to pretty much say someone won't make it and he was one of the only faces they didn't flash after that. That will suck if true. I will have lost faith in the writers if they off one of the best characters just for shock value and sweeps week.
Old 11-13-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the thread for last week's had a spoiler that I think answers that spoilered question
Old 11-13-03, 10:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Good ep.

The way Newhart exited wasn't much of a surprise thanks to the NBC promo department.

Glad they finnaly had Romano show a bit if emotion at the end when he walked out of the room after telling the inmate he had AIDS.
Old 11-14-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty good show IMO. I thought that Sam would have been a bit more upset at Kovac for taking an x-ray of her son's head. Are they grooming that kid to be the youngest med student in the ER ever?

Regarding next week (just my guesses)
Spoiler:
My guess is Neela, or possibly Lewis's boyfriend, since he is an air nurse, right? I'd like to see Neela stay around though, and I'll be pissed too if it's Gallant

Can someone repost the spoiler from last weeks thread? I missed it, and it's been deleted. In spoiler tags, of course!
Old 11-14-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's the way they should have ended Newhart!

I half watched tonight. I'll watch next week just to see whats sweeps has to offer. I know the main spoiler unfortunatly, i just want to see how they do it. I wish i hadn't highlighted it in last week's thread, but oh well.

Who's the new nurse, she looks familiar?
Old 11-14-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have I mentioned how much I hate all the new characters? I actually groaned in pain when I saw Coop back. The new nurse and her insufferable brat son have been added to the list. When he was with Luka, I was praying that the X-Ray machine would crush him when Luka was arguing with Elizabeth.

I like the Bob Newhart arc. I was hoping to see him get some of Lewis.

Honk!
Old 11-14-03, 01:02 AM

Neela and Abby are going to study together
Old 11-14-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
That's the way they should have ended Newhart!

I half watched tonight. I'll watch next week just to see whats sweeps has to offer. I know the main spoiler unfortunatly, i just want to see how they do it. I wish i hadn't highlighted it in last week's thread, but oh well.

Who's the new nurse, she looks familiar?
It's the girl from Freaks and Geeks. I wish she was still doing that show.
Old 11-14-03, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to know who dies......

Spoiler:
He's the prick everyone loves to hate.

Last edited by diesteldorf; 11-14-03 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by diesteldorf
If you want to know who dies......

Spoiler:
He's the prick everyone loves to hate.
Spoiler:
It had better not be Romano, he's the best part of the show for me. I hope it's Morris and that flight nurse boyfriend.
Old 11-14-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I fell asleep 1/2-way through again. What happened to Newhart? Thanks..
Old 11-14-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Newhart put a handwritten note (do not resuscitate) on his chest and then shot himself through the temple.

Well, the cost of Kovach's form of jungle medicine are being shown on a microscopic level and while it's cost-effective in the short run, a hospital is going to have a hard time dealing with malpractice lawsuits if the diagnostic tests are not being performed, and patients are taking a turn for the worse by not getting the best diagnosis possible.

I thought the direction of this episode was done with a low energy level. Perhaps it was intentional, but it doesn't suit ER well.

Can't really blame the Bob Newhart character for doing what he did given that the things he liked doing in life were being taken away from him as his vision worsened. Plus getting stood up by Susan didn't help. Susan will be feeling pretty down for a while after this development.

The other subplots were okay, but I got the ominous feeling that the x-ray that Kovach took of Sam's son will reveal something bad for the kid.

I thought Neela and Abby's pairing up to help each out each other's deficiencies made sense.

Wonder when Chen will be back. They feel like a hasty vacation written into the script.

Too bad Morris is back. What a waste.
Old 11-14-03, 08:38 AM

Interesting guesses on who's gonna exit next week. Too bad most of them are wrong. If you want to know who dies, think hard about the promo for next week:

Spoilers:

The very first scene of the promo is someone's point of view as they look at Neela. They're on the roof, with a helicopter in the background. Neela says, "Are you coming?" or words to that effect. Now, who in the cast would have reason to be apprehensive about getting on or near a helicopter?
Old 11-14-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think most people know who's going to bite it next episode.
Old 11-14-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't, nor do I want to know.
Old 11-14-03, 11:31 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Patman
Newhart put a handwritten note (do not resuscitate) on his chest and then shot himself through the temple....

Can't really blame the Bob Newhart character for doing what he did given that the things he liked doing in life were being taken away from him as his vision worsened. Plus getting stood up by Susan didn't help. Susan will be feeling pretty down for a while after this development.

The other subplots were okay, but I got the ominous feeling that the x-ray that Kovach took of Sam's son will reveal something bad for the kid.
Oh, THAT'S what the note said... I wasn't looking at the screen at the right moment, and couldn't read it. I thought it was a note to Susan.

I thought Susan stood up the IRS, but the plans with Bob's character weren't until that night, and he called her and cancelled, so how did she stand him up? I agree she'll be upset about this for awhile, though; felt like he had become like a dad to her (thinking of the conversation when they were walking the dog, and she was saying she wasn't close to her Dad, and he wasn't close to his daughter).

I totally agree that it felt like they're leading up to something being wrong with Sam's son. When Luka was distracted in the X-ray room, I really thought they were going to either show some accident happening right then (the kid getting hurt by playing with the machine, maybe), or that the taken-in-fun x-ray would ironically show some serious problem. Hope that doesn't turn Sam into a version of Abby, with too many personal problems to concentrate on her job.
Old 11-14-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
after last week's "spoiler" regarding next week's ep, i've had enough of the black boxes to last me a while..

I am hoping that the spoiler I read was wrong..
Old 11-14-03, 11:38 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by redskull47
Interesting guesses on who's gonna exit next week. Too bad most of them are wrong. If you want to know who dies, think hard about the promo for next week:

Spoilers:

The very first scene of the promo is someone's point of view as they look at Neela. They're on the roof, with a helicopter in the background. Neela says, "Are you coming?" or words to that effect. Now, who in the cast would have reason to be apprehensive about getting on or near a helicopter?
Umm, how are "most of them wrong"? Isn't that the same guess that was spoilerized last week??

Besides,
Spoiler:
given what happened to Romano, couldn't other characters be suffering from similar nervousness around helicopters? If I were ANYone who'd been around when his accident happened, I wouldn't be excited about getting near a helicopter either! And I seem to recall someone else, can't remember who, didn't like helicopters before Romano's accident anyways. Also, I can more easily see Neela speaking that directly to another med student or resident; she seems to be too shy or afraid of Romano to be questioning him that way...

Anyways... I think your guess might be right, but I don't know about your logic...
Old 11-14-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Bob Newhart" tried to reach Susan, but she was too busy to take the call and from there, Bob just shut down and proceeded to off himself.
Old 11-14-03, 12:04 PM

You're right, Shoppingbear, many of the cast might very well have "copterphobia" after Romano's accident. I should have said, "Who in the cast has the MOST reason to be apprehensive about getting near a copter?"
Old 11-14-03, 06:36 PM

Am just glad to see more of Susan Lewis & no Weaver.
I have to thank Bob Newhart for only 3 eps.
Its just sad that Sally Field could not have only
appeared in 3 eps. I would have even provided the gun.
Old 11-14-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That was a great episode, what a shitty day for Dr. Lewis. I was actually sad to see Newhart go, it actually brought tears to my eyes.

Luka and Sam's kid were good together, but I think something will be wrong w/ the kid, too. By the by - I'm really like Sam.

Susan was great when she took Romano's arm and wouldn't give it back.
Old 11-15-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hand. And she didn't take it Sam did.

sorry, a stickler for details.
Old 11-15-03, 09:32 PM

Over at Television Without Pity, they have taken to calling the kid Son of Sam. Not a bad name

Brian

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.