Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Q about matrix

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q about matrix

was it made to be a trilogy??
Old 11-13-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
That's what they'd like you to believe.
Old 11-13-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
That's what they'd like you to believe.
^
Old 11-13-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously watching the movies I came to this conclusion.

Judging from the story line Greed was the reason there are 3 movies.

The Matrix = $$$
Reloaded = $$$$$
Revolutions = $$$$$$$
Old 11-13-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like the Wachowskis had hoped to continue the story after the first one, yes, but the sequels seem slapdash and underdeveloped.
Old 11-13-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nonsense...it was obviously and overtly (at least to anyone who was paying the slightest of attention) that the matrix was just a beginning to a larger story.

the wachowskis have become the new george lucas among internet geeks. they did thier story their way when it would obviously have been better had it been assembled by a committee of sci-fi nerds. maybe i should be the first to spell it wachow$ki...i could collect royalties everytime some moron spells it that way.

these films aren't the end all be all, but they'll have a prominent home in my collection.
Old 11-13-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with chess. While the first one was definitely a surprise hit and made to stand alone, i think there were definitely ideas and a story that the Wachowski's wanted to develop furthur.
Old 11-14-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The ending of the first movie sets up the next movies. It sure seemed obvious to me that they were going to release at least one more movie.
Old 11-14-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The first ending is an obvious set up to a sequel. It just so happens that the sequels that were made weren't what people wanted to see (Which I would guess would be the humans rising up to enlighten hordes of people within the matrix, winning an overall war against the machines, and ending the matrix's existence). The posters for revolutions tease that the matrix itself will come to an end, as the last line of code comes to a stop.

I seem to remember just after the first came out plans to make 2 more movies, one prequel and one sequel, but they instead made the animatrix as a prequel and two sequels.

I don't think the matrix sequels were outstanding, but I did find them fairly interesting. I actually liked reloaded a lot better than revolutions; I thought it set up a lot of interesting things that weren't really dealt with at all in revolutions.
Old 11-14-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i think the first matrix left it open for a sequel, but i think people who think what we got was entirely pre-planned from the beginning are kidding themseleves. i mean, even the original Stat Wars movies weren't entirely pre-planned.
Old 11-14-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by huh?
i think the first matrix left it open for a sequel, but i think people who think what we got was entirely pre-planned from the beginning are kidding themseleves. i mean, even the original Stat Wars movies weren't entirely pre-planned.

STAT WARS I will attack you with usless and boring info!

Shadow
Old 11-14-03, 07:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
i mean, even the original Stat Wars movies weren't entirely pre-planned.
The hell you say!

After watching both The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revloutions, its seems to me that they really only had enough plot for one movie, but stretched it out to two films in order to fill the obligatory three-film arc. And to make more money, of course.
Old 11-14-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i highly doubt that Mr. Lucas knew that Darth Vader was Luke's father from the get go. i mean, even Obi-Wan said Luke's father was killed by Vader in the original.
Old 11-14-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i highly doubt that Mr. Lucas knew that Darth Vader was Luke's father from the get go. i mean, even Obi-Wan said Luke's father was killed by Vader in the original.

Well Vader did pretty much kill Anikin. Symbolically of course. When Anikin gave into the darkside and Vader took his place.
Old 11-14-03, 10:31 AM

they wrote it as a sequel but didn't know if it would be popular so they made the first movie stand alone but left it open for sequels if the first movie was a hit
Old 11-14-03, 10:32 AM

actually he had the drafts for the first 3 movies pretty well worked out, he just changed details and such..........he had back story for all of them and he used some of this, but changed a lot of it as well to make the Prequils