[EDIT] Nintendo: no next-gen console at E3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

[EDIT] Nintendo: no next-gen console at E3

Old 11-13-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nintendo's New Console to be Unveiled in 2004

From GameSpot:

Nintendo also revealed today that it plans to unveil its next-generation console at E3 in May next year. Nintendo's executive director Jinyou Mori stated that the company hopes to release the unannounced next-generation console during the next fiscal year in Japan, and also commented that a simultaneous worldwide release would be ideal.
Jeremy
Old 11-13-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So they are going to release it in 2004, or just reveal it? I hope it's the later.
Old 11-13-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For real.. the Cube still has 2 good years left in it.
Old 11-13-03, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Cool. This will be the only next gen console I will get on release day.
Old 11-13-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, makes sense to me. it is poor business to keep investing in a product that loses money. at least risk it and develop a new product... hmm.. typical technology industry model.

a 3 year console cycle may be too long.
Old 11-13-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Cool. This will be the only next gen console I will get on release day.
Yes, I concur.

I have not bought a console near it's release since the Super Nintendo, but after everything Nintendo has done this generation, they have my money barring some act of pure retardation.
Old 11-13-03, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The last one I bought beside the Cube and all the GBA's was the Dreamcast. I will be passing on the Xbox for a little while, unless some really great games come out, and PS3 will be passed on for atleast 2 years unless they really step up there hardware quality control ( IMO, otherwise ill have some fanboys on my ass).
Old 11-13-03, 10:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Surely this news can only mean one thing: Nintendo is going the way of Sega.
Old 11-13-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
So they are going to release it in 2004, or just reveal it? I hope it's the later.
Nintendo also revealed today that it plans to unveil its next-generation console at E3 in May next year. Nintendo's executive director Jinyou Mori stated that the company hopes to release the unannounced next-generation console during the next fiscal year in Japan, and also commented that a simultaneous worldwide release would be ideal.
If I read this right, that means sometime before April of 2005.
Old 11-13-03, 11:03 AM
Banned

Well, they don't have DevKits out yet, so it is going to be rough to get any 3rd party games on the system before launch if this story is correct. I have a feeling this is all bullshit and is just Nintendo hype.
Old 11-13-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
If I read this right, that means sometime before April of 2005.
I can live with that.. we've already got a new Zelda and Metroid coming in 2004 which is enough for me alone, but I'm sure Nintendo will pull a few more surprises as well.

I wonder if Animal Crossing 2 fell off the face of development?
Old 11-13-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Well, they don't have DevKits out yet, so it is going to be rough to get any 3rd party games on the system before launch if this story is correct. I have a feeling this is all bullshit and is just Nintendo hype.
True, but it is over a year and a half away. Time to get those kits out.

Likely? No. Possible? yes.

Hey at least they arn't like:
"The new system will be the most powerful thing EVER!!! It could likely be used by terrorists to guide their nuclear warheads! We can render individual hair folics! We OwnE youZ!"
like some copanies...
Old 11-13-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It just means that the cube will retail for $49.99 next year!
Old 11-13-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Hey at least they arn't like:
"The new system will be the most powerful thing EVER!!! It could likely be used by terrorists to guide their nuclear warheads! We can render individual hair folics! We OwnE youZ!"
like some copanies...
Is that the same company that claimed thier system could render Toy Story in realtime?
Old 11-13-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it'll be a successor to the GameBoy and not to the GC as you all are predicting. It doesn't make sense for them to release a new console when this one hasn't been out that long. Granted the GC has under-performed in almost every market, but I think the price cuts will remedy that.

This is going to be some sort of PSP competitor if you ask me. They don't want Sont to push them out of the only market that they dominate and that supplies them with a regular stream of income.
Old 11-13-03, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by The Franchise
I think it'll be a successor to the GameBoy and not to the GC as you all are predicting. It doesn't make sense for them to release a new console when this one hasn't been out that long. Granted the GC has under-performed in almost every market, but I think the price cuts will remedy that.

This is going to be some sort of PSP competitor if you ask me. They don't want Sont to push them out of the only market that they dominate and that supplies them with a regular stream of income.
I would agree with that except for that Nintendo are slow adapters of new technology. They don't like changing how they do things until they are forced to do so. In my opinion, because GBA is such a sucessful product, I don't see them changing it (or releasing a new handheld) until Sony's portable starts taking away from their business. The speculation of sucess is much different than sucess itself.

If we do see a sucessor to the GBA-SP, it won't be until Nintendo sees how consumers react to Sony's new handheld.
Old 11-13-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Franchise

This is what I was thinking but I didn't know exactly how to interpret Nintendo's comments. It's tricky because they don't want to take away from their Gamecube sales by announcing a successor so soon into the system's life cycle. Adversely, they need to address the PSP as a competitor and do something to keep their dominance in the portable market, something other than announcing plug-ins for the GBA but not do anything to make it compete technically.

They would be smart to keep the Gamecube alive as a portable system - the mini-discs are portable enough, and they could combine the connectivity between the two systems into one. Regardless, they also have to keep backwards compatability with their previous handhelds.

Jeremy
Old 11-13-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this may also be somewhat of a misunderstanding too and that the console will be revealed next year but not released next next year. Some news sites have conflicting reports as to what will be released and whether this refers to their new China console or not. I think all the major players will have some info about their next-gen plans by next year. I doubt they'll be able to release before next Christmas though. Maybe they'll release in Japan next year and in the US the year after that? Just thinking out loud here......
Old 11-13-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the language of the release is quite clear:

- this is a new "console"
- the "next" E3 takes place in 2004
- the "next" Japanese fiscal year concludes in March 2005
Old 11-13-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I'm hoping for a mini-Gamecube!
Old 11-13-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait... a couple weeks ago there was mention of the possibility of Microsoft's next generation console being released within a year or two and everyone attacked the move. Now we hear something similar from Nintendo and everyone cheers?
Old 11-13-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stand corrected:

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6083492.html

and wonder why the hell they are releasing ANOTHER piece of hardware...
Old 11-13-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Wait... a couple weeks ago there was mention of the possibility of Microsoft's next generation console being released within a year or two and everyone attacked the move. Now we hear something similar from Nintendo and everyone cheers?
I politely decided not to comment.

Spoiler:
I walked into this gen a huge Nintendo fan since I was 5 and now I won't even bother with their next console barring a miracle on all fronts. That's just me, though.
Old 11-13-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3-D display? New type of controller? Pez dispenser?
Old 11-13-03, 04:05 PM
Banned

The first console based Pez dispenser.... I like that.

I knew it was bullshit when Bloomberg was most people's sources.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.