Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel -- "Lineage: 11.12.2003

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-12-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lineage

As the gang investigates a team of cyborg assassins, Wes gets a visit from his estranged father (Roy Dotrice), who brings news of a re-formed Watchers' Council. But the social call soon sours when the elder Wyndam-Pryce encounters Angel, who's the real reason he's in L.A.. Eve: Sarah Thompson. Knox: Jonathan M. Woodward.
I liked this episode.

Wes shooting his dad [actually, practically unloading the clip into him], was way more shocking than the "shocking" moment on 24 last nite..[comparatively speaking as far as "shocking" moments on TV this week are concerned...]

I'm wondering...since his dad was a 'borg, does that mean he was lying about the Watchers' Council..?
Old 11-12-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
To say that "Lineage" was the best episode of the season doesn't do it justice. Well paced, sharply written, extremely well acted, and, surprisingly, one of the funnier episodes (particularly in its first half, where I laughed at more of its jokes than the gags throughout the rest of the season combined).

I've been disappointed with much of the season up to this point, but if the remainder winds up being as well-crafted as "Lineage", then I'm very glad I stuck with it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Tempted to say that it might go down as one of my favorites of the entire series.
Old 11-12-03, 10:01 PM

Great episode. I am glad to see the episode focus on Wes and to a lesser extent Angel and Fred. This is the first episode of the season that really felt like Angel, and the preview for next week seems like it is going to continue. Hopefully the season is turning the corner.

Wes has easily become my favorite character over the past couple seasons and it was nice to see Wes toe the line between the insecure Wes from the early days and the headstrong badass he has turned into.

The scene with Spike and Eve in the elevator was also thought provoking. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Also, what did Spike yell when the lights went out? I thought he was yelling at the guy who tried to pull him to hell a few episodes ago, but it sounded like he said Buffy.

Man, Eve is so hot. I don't understand why people hate her so much. Now we have a little more of a story and depth to go on with her.

Is it just me or has David's stunt double been a lot more noticeable during the fight scenes this season?

I can't wait for next week's episode. Things are always good with Dru on the show.
Old 11-12-03, 10:03 PM

Tempted to say that it might go down as one of my favorites of the entire series.
I was thinking the same thing when I finished watching the episode.

I am still not to happy with what is going on with Spike, but after the elevator scene with Eve, I am more willing to accept ME leaving Spike as a ghost.
Old 11-12-03, 10:05 PM

Well this episode caught me offguard and was by far the best episode of this season. Gives me a little hope, especially since the preview for next week with DRU looks to be good. Things may be finally turning as Angel may be returning to quality!
Old 11-12-03, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
To say that "Lineage" was the best episode of the season doesn't do it justice. Well paced, sharply written, extremely well acted, and, surprisingly, one of the funnier episodes (particularly in its first half, where I laughed at more of its jokes than the gags throughout the rest of the season combined).

I've been disappointed with much of the season up to this point, but if the remainder winds up being as well-crafted as "Lineage", then I'm very glad I stuck with it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Tempted to say that it might go down as one of my favorites of the entire series.
up

I consider you the critique and god of Angel reviewers, if your impressed it and consider it one of your favorite of all times, then Angel is doing well. woooooooooooup Ctyner legend

Originally posted by ugabuga
Well this episode caught me offguard and was by far the best episode of this season. Gives me a little hope, especially since the preview for next week with DRU looks to be good. Things may be finally turning as Angel may be returning to quality!
Positive angel fans, great, glad you liked it.
Old 11-12-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Re: Angel -- "Lineage: 11.12.2003

Originally posted by Rogue588
I liked this episode.

Wes shooting his dad [actually, practically unloading the clip into him], was way more shocking than the "shocking" moment on 24 last nite..[comparatively speaking as far as "shocking" moments on TV this week are concerned...]

I actually gasped out loud at that. I was thinking from the beginning he was a robot, but I was soon convinced he was for real. Incredible scene.
Old 11-12-03, 10:44 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Yeah, Wes didn't hesitate for a second. Thought the Spike lines were pretty good tonight, too.
Old 11-12-03, 11:02 PM

I thought it was a pretty good episode.

Angel better show his vampire face soon... its starting to really annoy me. He had 3 or 4 fights this episode, none as vampire. This show is about a vampire, right?
Old 11-12-03, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Woo Hoo! Good episode AND Dru next week!
Old 11-13-03, 12:03 AM
Banned

Wow! Thats all I gotta say, its an instant classic.

Wes Rules.
Old 11-13-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what has already been said. IMO best episode of the season. I was totally shocked when Wes shot his dad.

Also, am I the only one who is beginning to hate that lab assistant? I know it's just because he's putting the moves on Fred, but they better get him some good lines stat to make him more likeable.
Old 11-13-03, 12:09 AM

This was a great episode, it was definitely good to see an episode for Wesley to shine in. Hopefully we'll see his and Fred's relationship start to progress as well...
Old 11-13-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by wmansir
Also, am I the only one who is beginning to hate that lab assistant? I know it's just because he's putting the moves on Fred, but they better get him some good lines stat to make him more likeable.
Unfortunately, that was the only predictable part for me. It was too perfect and seemed to be on cue. Perhaps a W&H machination..?

And, i'll ask again, even though it was a 'borg, do you think there's any truth to the Council being put back together..?
Old 11-13-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by ugabuga
PLEASE do not spoilers for future episodes in the current episode threads. Arrgghhhhhh.

Other than that I was extremely pleased with this episode. I was giddy at the fact that Angel was finally back to form, and was really firing on all cylinders. The humor, the drama, the acting, everything. Wes has been my favorite character, and this episode definitely added to that. What a great actor. I loved him slipping back into the role as the clumsy insecure Wesley, but finally standing his ground. And as others have said that scene on the rooftop was SHOCKING.

I hope these cyborgs lead to a really good arc, and I hope they do actually bring the remnants of the watcher's council (if there are any) into the storyline.

Overall I am just enourmously happy with this episode, and hope it continues next week.
Old 11-13-03, 03:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Good episode.

The scene with him unloading the clip in his father was good though the the fact that he was a robot was predictable.

Spike finnaly had some good lines tonight. The end when Angel and him talk about killing their parents was funny.
Old 11-13-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I think it's likely that the Watcher's Council is being reassmebled in some fashion.

Some evidence:

Comics: "Fray" makes references to the WC that seem to be post-S7. I wouldn't give this any credence, except for the fact that Joss Whedon wrote it.

Comics: In the upcoming "Tales of the Vampires" series, the framing device will be a "group of young Watchers-in-training being told secrets of the undead by an ancient vampire kept in chains in the basement of the Watchers' Council. There's no indication when this takes place, as a group of Watchers in training would seem to imply bringing in some new blood. Maybe the vampire is chained far enough underground so that we wasn't killed in the explosion? The framing sequence is being written by Whedon, so I would tend to give it some credence.

Upcoming "Angel" episode:
Spoiler:
In ep. 11, we'll be seeing a young woman who escapes from a mental institution who is an activated Slayer. Andrew will be appearing, so he might be acting on behalf of the WC.
Old 11-13-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo-hoo! I smells some story arcs a brewin'! Great episode!
Old 11-13-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, finally a good episode, and sets up something more ominous out there looking to take down Angel. Having stuff that old-time Buffy/Angel viewers would get in terms of the history of the characters keeps the viewers mindful of the past misdeeds of this band of merry men and their leader.
Old 11-13-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Upcoming "Angel" episode:
Spoiler:
In ep. 11, we'll be seeing a young woman who escapes from a mental institution who is an activated Slayer. Andrew will be appearing, so he might be acting on behalf of the WC.
I cannot wait for this!!
Old 11-13-03, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although this season has been lighter overall, there also seems to be more dark... 'things'. Angel brutally slaying some guy a few ep's back, keeping the reaper conscious but unable to move. Thats why I was a little disappointed of the cop out of Wes's dad being a robot. Seeing him puke after shooting him, I was thinking 'damn the darkness continues'. That was some damn good drama.

BTW, I think I'm gonna start calling Wesley - Max Payne.
Old 11-13-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Strafe
Although this season has been lighter overall, there also seems to be more dark... 'things'. Angel brutally slaying some guy a few ep's back, keeping the reaper conscious but unable to move. Thats why I was a little disappointed of the cop out of Wes's dad being a robot. Seeing him puke after shooting him, I was thinking 'damn the darkness continues'. That was some damn good drama.

BTW, I think I'm gonna start calling Wesley - Max Payne.
I still think it's better than him revealing that he knew all along or something cheap along those lines. This had the same effect as him actually killing his father.
Old 11-13-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
I loves this episode. Although I'm found of any episode that features gun toteing Wesley. Eve was looking hot as was Fred. The only thing mising was Harmony.....

Spikes "report" was hilarious.
Old 11-13-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great ep! And not just for this season. I sometimes forget that Wes used to be this nervous pansy, since he's so badass now. Talk about character developement. It seems like they are setting some things up for the future and I'm all for that. Next weeks eps looks pretty good to so things seems to be picking up steam. I am one happy Angel fan right now.
Old 11-13-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, really sweet ep., glad I left work early.

Unlike the majority here, I have enjoyed this year's season. It might be a little light-hearted with the comedy and light on a continuos arc, but it has been worth WB keeping it on the air, for me, at least.

Did next week's teaser seem like a cool rip of Freddy vs. Jason?
Anyway, I think the main arc this year really won't be Wolfram and Hart's control over them, but it will be Spike, Eve, and Angel (especially from what Eve told spike tonight in the elevator.) My guess, anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.