Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Beatles or Led Zepplin be rereleasing thier albumns as DVD-A anytime soon?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Led Zepplin just came out with some live shows on DVD and DVD-A and the Beatles rereleasing Let it Be Naked this month I was hoping to hear that they will be remasting their albumns and putting them on DVD-A... esp. the Beatles since all their albumns havent been remastered since 1987 and technology has changed alot since then. I havent seen anything on thier web sites so I was checking here to see if anyone knows anythign about the chances of either one being released
Old 11-12-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they need to first rerelease all of the beatles albums in MONO not stereo. they were all intended to be mono all along but george martin loves the stereo versions. who's ears hurt after listening to revolution in stereo. give me a mono cd fully restored verisons before an all new stereo crap.
Old 11-12-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing definitive... But both have been rumored.

Rumors.

Zep - DVD-A releases could be in the works...

Beatles - 5.1 remixes are a possibility, but from what I understand, the format has not been chosen and is a real concern... Could be SACD, DVD-A or both.

Honestly, at the rate DVD-A and SACD releases are flooding the market (yeah, right) it will probably be a few more years before you see either of these catalogs in a high-res format.
Old 11-12-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had to guess, based on the seemingly positive experience Jimmy Page had being directly involved with the DVD & Live CD/DVD-A releases, I would bet that they are or will be working on DVD-A versions of the studio albums in the near future.
Old 11-14-03, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
they need to first rerelease all of the beatles albums in MONO not stereo. they were all intended to be mono all along but george martin loves the stereo versions. who's ears hurt after listening to revolution in stereo. give me a mono cd fully restored verisons before an all new stereo crap.
I have heard Paul himself say that they deliberatley overemphasised the stereo aspect of much of their middle period stuff like Nowhere Man cause it was the new thing, so I debate that ALL their albums were intendedto be in mono. Only the first four were originally released as mono recordings and that is how they are on CD release. Everyhting after has always been in stereo!

I think 5.1 mixes (a la The Anthology) would be interesting.
Lennon has a DVD out with about 20 vids all in DTS 5.1 (not DVD-A quality I know but gettin' there) and many of them sound full and glorious.
Old 11-14-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah like each instrument in each speaker!
Old 11-14-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It all depends on who mixes them. I have some I love (Richard THompson Rumour and Sigh), some that are mixed terribly (REM Automatic for...) and some that you can't even tell are mixed (BareNaked Ladies latest terrible CD).
Old 11-15-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
While I do agree that it was annoying how they would mix the lead vocals in the left or right channel, they don't need to do them in mono only. What they need to do is properly remix them so they sound like they do on the restored Yellow Submarine DVD and the Anthology, but also make the originals available for historical purposes.
Old 11-17-03, 08:33 PM

I saw this at Music Tap.net (thats on Digital bits)

"Beatles. Hi-Res. Which album would you like to see first. We've already heard via whispers that Abbey Road is a done deal and will soon make the release but that's rumour until we see it listed. We received a little under a hundred responses, way less than the King Crimson question. Interesting but it does give me a better look at the reader profile of MusicTAP. Now, onto your choices.

The overwhelming choice for conversion to SACD or DVD-Audio was none other than Seargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Period. Nothing else even came close. That doesn't mean that nobody else had any thoughts or wishes. So, the distant second request was also my choice -
Red/Blue Collections. This did pretty well that, for a time, I thought that it might overtake Sgt Pepper.
Abbey Road came in third by only 15 less than the Red/Blue collections.
The only other significant request was for the White Album.
The scattered remains were for Please Please Me, Yellow Submarine, Revolver, and a few that said 'all of them'. Of course, almost every album save for Let It Be was mentioned at least once.
Now, we have the box set thought to finish out so if you have a say in the matter (what do you want in a box set?) be sure to fire the thought off to me."

So does anyone have any sources to back up this Abby Road rumor (I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping they'll come out with all of their albums very soon.)
Old 11-17-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What they need to do is properly remix them so they sound like they do on the restored Yellow Submarine DVD and the Anthology, but also make the originals available for historical purposes.

so on the yellow submerine remastered cd that came out in the late 90's, the stereo effect sounds more natural then the current version on Revolver.