Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Very cool lightsaber fight movie (fan-made film) "Art of the Saber"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine gave me the link to this fanboy film. It's called "Art of the Saber."

It's very well done, the lightsaber fight I would say is far superior to the ones done in Episodes 1 and 2. (which are basically slow and boring in my opinion) It's basically a long lightsaber fight, done in the style of Hong Kong action movies.

There's a concept film and the final project. You'll likely have to right click the movie link and save it to your hard drive to watch it.

Far from perfect and incredibly cheesy intro, but I thought it was well done. What do you think?

Description:

A light saber fight sequence with the flavor of a Hong Kong martial arts action movie. This short is set in a dense forest of an unknown planet, where a young Jedi, eager to fight to help the Revolution, clashes with a Sith Lord in a battle where only one will remain standing. Music by Hans Zimmer and a monologue extracted from an authentic Civil War love letter written in 1861, help to set the tone for this movie.

http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxpr...er/index.shtml
Old 11-12-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. That was surprisingly good. I wouldn't call it "far superior" though, just better in some respects because of the fusion of the two worlds. Some very cool moves there. But the best fanfilm I've seen so far is Duality.
Old 11-12-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Far Superior? eh. it got a simple Meh out of me. thought it was the same old same old. what ever happened to single saber battles? ever since Episode I everyone wanted to be uber 1337 and have a duel or two sabers.

One part Matrix, One part Star Wars and one part black hawk down does not = coolness.
Old 11-12-03, 01:58 AM

It was entertaining, but not completely dazzling. A lot more interesting than the battles in SW though.
Old 11-12-03, 02:18 AM
Suspended

Not bad - for a couple of people in the woods with toy sabers and some photoshop glow effects. Not a very Star Wars-y feel to it (a lightsaber stuck in the ground standing on it's own? The geek in me screams out No Way!)

Is it better, stronger, faster than before? Nope. The real movies are still the superior product.

I just wish people would get over this double blade fixation. It was cool in 1999 - but it's been 4 years now people. It's on the Out list.
Old 11-12-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so true. The whole double bladed sabers thing has gotten to a point that it's annoying.

add a compelling story and the saber fight will be better.
Old 11-12-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

'Cept that was dual labers done the way it should be done.

I personally thought that was great and both of those guy's have massive talent. Excellent fight scene.
Old 11-12-03, 09:55 AM

I thought this is a pretty good short! Those guys do have a lot of talent. I like their choreography too!

Thong
Old 11-12-03, 10:18 AM

That was amazing. That's how Stars Wars should have been.
Old 11-12-03, 10:56 AM

Yeah, because there have been SO many dual saber films... you know, Phantom Menace and... uh.. that, uh, you know... What the hell are you guys talking about? What else has there been? It's not played out at all unless you've been watching Phantom Menace every week since 98. Never mind that there are 4 movies with single saber battles...

Anyway, those guys did a fine job and there are some very nice moves in there. I loved that bit where he knocks the saber out of his hand, twirls it around the other blade from sheer momentum and the 'jedi' catches it again. Very nice.
Old 11-12-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Ho-ly shit.
The upper elite of fan boys.
Old 11-12-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

John, we were talking about the fandom for double ended/duel sabers in these fan films. If you follow them just about everyone after TPM threw in a double ended lightsaber character in it and have sense made lots of the same. if done right they can be great but this one was lacking for me because of the rest of the short. sweat pants and sunglasses... just sorta threw me out of it and yes, anyone with some after effects skills can make glowing sabers.
Old 11-12-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
sweat pants and sunglasses... just sorta threw me out of it and yes.
Those are my thougths... had they some decent costumes, It would have looked 100% better. Feels like they want to be the next Cory Yuen.
Old 11-12-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

The whole double saber thing I think is just a natural progression from double fisted guns, the latest new Hollywood craze inspired by John Woo films. EVERY time you see a guy with guns now he's carrying two and pumping lead.

Glad to see most people enjoy the movie. I personally think it's much more innovative than the ones in the actual Star Wars movies. The difference is budget and costumes. If this fight were fully realized with all the bells and whistles it would easily be superior to the ones in the current films.
Old 11-12-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not bad. a bit of pointless and over the top showmanship, but overall, well choreographed.
Old 11-12-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Wow. That was surprisingly good. I wouldn't call it "far superior" though, just better in some respects because of the fusion of the two worlds. Some very cool moves there. But the best fanfilm I've seen so far is Duality.
I haven't finished downloading this short yet (damn_dial_up_hell), but I'm agree with the part of you saying Duality is good. For those who haven't seen it, you can download it here
Old 11-12-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nobody beats the Star Wars kid though!
Old 11-12-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
This is far better than I expected. The proof of concept was pretty impressive, but adding the Civil War letter just really drove it home. If Lucas had any sense, he'd finance a project to collect all these little films and release them on DVD.

As for the saber sticking in the ground, just imagine that he used the Force to hold it in that position.
Old 11-12-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neat, if a little over the top.

Maybe a little too sappy.
Old 11-13-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Maybe a little too sappy.
The dialogue was lifted from Ken Burns' PBS documentary "The Civil War." Somehow in a Jedi context, it does come off as a bit sappy, doesn't it?

So let me ge this straight: Jedi have girlfriends named Sarah, cool shades from Sunglass Hut, and they pronounce the word escape as "exscape."

OK, that's nitpicking. These guys are pretty decent.
Old 11-13-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The only fan-film Ive seen is Duality, and juding from the responses so far I dont think Im missing much by not watching this Art of the Saber.
Old 11-13-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMHO, Duality was very well made and I can see why it's being used as the standard for fanfilms.

However, as a wanna-be martial artist, the choreography was incredible, given that very few camera tricks were used in actually portraying the fight itself. Of course, there were the technical and budget issues aforementioned, but in the realistic sense, this really knocked me flat!
Old 11-13-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought they did really well in making this.

I know it is 1000X better than anything I could do.
Old 11-13-03, 08:05 AM

Nice work.
Old 11-13-03, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Those are my thougths... had they some decent costumes, It would have looked 100% better. Feels like they want to be the next Cory Yuen.
Exactly. The sunglasses killed the Star Wars effect for me... that and the main character wearing sweat pants.

Otherwise, cool fight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.