Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Station Agent - very good

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone seen THE STATION AGENT?

It stars Peter Dinklage as a train-obsessed dwarf and Patricia Clarkson as a women he meets when he moves to New Jersey.

Bobby Cannavalle (Sp?) plays Joe, who is extremely funny in the film as their attention-seeking friend.

It's a little slow at first but the humor is terrific and the drama kicks in as well.

Go see it. The film is worth the 8 or 9 bucks.
Old 11-12-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know it's funny, I popped in to the Station Agent knowing NOTHING about it between movies last weekend, and I saw some scene with the wacky latino character and the dwarf, and the crowd was cracking up(I believe it was in Patricia Clarkson's house). Knowing nothing about the movie, and with my own ignorance on full blast, I figured they were just laughing because he was a midget and "weird" and I couldn't believe an Indie was doing this 10 years after "Living in Oblivion" skewered it so well. But I stuck around, and I got completely capitvated by the story, which doesn't happen often for me mid-film and I was really bummed I had to go, but this is next up on my list when I go back. So based on my 20 minute sampler, I feel pretty good recommending it too, I saw some good stuff there.

And the intersting aside to this story is, I went home to IMDB to find out more about Dinkage, only to see that HE WAS the midget in Living in Oblivion! I had a nice chuckle at the irony of that.
Old 11-12-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely loved this film, the one that edged out Lost in Translation for my favorite of the year.

Peter Dinklage turns in a superb, nuanced performance and the script is top-notch, with great humor and tenderness. I really like the fact that Dinklage being a dwarf wasn't the true focus of the film. It's never avoided or ignored, but that's not ultimately what it's about. The script wasn't originally written for a dwarf, so unlike most scripts involving a non-traditional casting choice, it remained a story about a man, not one about a dwarf.
Old 11-12-03, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Caoimhin
I absolutely loved this film, the one that edged out Lost in Translation for my favorite of the year.
I had the exact same reaction.
Old 11-12-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This film doesn't have a particularly appealing premise or big-name actors, but you really just have to see it.

It's consistently funny throughout and it has some some nice
performances.
Old 11-17-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Caoimhin
Me too! I loved this film. I had to move "Lost in Translation" to #2 on my Top 5 of 2003 list.
Old 11-27-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree with everyone else. I love this movie. It has parts that really stabs you in the heart and then breaks off the handle. But that is one of the reasons it is as good as it is. Best film of 2003 in my book.
Old 11-30-03, 11:54 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm in the minority in this one. To put it in perspective, I did see this on the same day as Bad Santa and 21 Grams which were really extreme comedy and tragedy, so I might have just felt that The Station Agent was too low key. I'll probably appreciate it more on my next viewing.

6/10
Old 11-30-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly think i may be obsessed with this film. I haven't stopped thinking about it since i saw it last week. If you haven't seen this film and you get the chance do let it pass you by.
Old 12-18-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just thought I'd bump this. I just watched it today and realized it was one of the first movies I honestly did not want to end. The characters were so interesting I just wanted to stay in their lives. Wonderful, wonderful film.
Old 12-18-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Just thought I'd bump this. I just watched it today and realized it was one of the first movies I honestly did not want to end. The characters were so interesting I just wanted to stay in their lives. Wonderful, wonderful film.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-17-04, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Six months later...

This film just came out on DVD in Canada this week and I blind-rented it.

I agree with most comments here. Surprising. Out of left field. Charming. Stays with you a long time. You don't want it to end - just to begin. Has many layers. Deserves all the accolades.... Made me feel like I was there (in the summer, near a railroad track, anywhere on earth). This film is really composed of 1,000 tiny, accurate details that concur to form a whole*. And the indie director is not the daughter of anyone famous - or going out with anyone famous - and no racehorses were harmed (or decapitated) during the production, cough, cough, excuse me, sneeze coming on, COPPOLA!!! Thanks, that felt good.

It also reminded me - in a very good way - of a National Film Board of Canada short subject of 1964 called "Le Temps perdu" ("The End of Summer") in its unpretentiousness and atmospheric zennity (this word is my invention).

* My favorite accurate detail - the one that charms my pants off, actually - is that Joe, the Latin from Manhattan hot dog vendor, is the first US film character in at least 35 years to pronounce "Bon appétit!" the right way (without a final sounding "t" - it's not supposed to sound like "bone-happy tit"). The film deserves a special Academy Award just for that.

Last edited by baracine; 06-18-04 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 01:04 PM

I remember watching and thinking that the friendship formed felt natural. There wasn't a particular instance where they became friends --- it just kind of happened and felt totally real as it progressed.

And it was good to see a dwarf portrayed as an actual person on the big screen, instead of a sideshow. And a leading man, no less! Terrific movie with great performances from everyone involved.
Old 06-17-04, 05:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
i wanted it to be longer..meaning didn't want it to end!
Old 06-17-04, 09:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said, I loved this movie too.

Great performances all around and the hour and a half flew by while I was watching it.
Old 07-20-04, 06:30 AM

Just watched this last night with my wife. What a little gem of a movie. I loved the subtle humor. Am I just getting old, or did Patricia Clarkson look pretty damn good?
Old 07-20-04, 10:22 AM

Great movie but I didnt care for the ending.
Old 07-20-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Galileo01
Great movie but I didnt care for the ending.
Why not? I loved the ending.....no tidy wrap ups.......
Old 07-20-04, 12:51 PM

I felt that there should have been more. I almost thought that I was missing a scene on the DVD! Overall I did like it, I would recommend this to my friends (And I have!)
Old 07-20-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Awesome movie. Very subtle the way everything happens. The character of Joe steals every scene he's in. Bobby Cannavale does a great job.
Old 07-20-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by John-In-VA
Am I just getting old, or did Patricia Clarkson look pretty damn good?
She looks good in this movie.
Old 07-21-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Galileo01
I felt that there should have been more. I almost thought that I was missing a scene on the DVD! Overall I did like it, I would recommend this to my friends (And I have!)
I wanted more as well (because I really cared for these characters....sounds like you did too ) but I still loved how it just ......ended.
Old 07-21-04, 09:37 AM

Excellent film! I luckily got it through the DeepDiscontDVD sale a month ago...
Old 07-22-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

watched it last night with my wife...we loved it!!!

it was a feel good movie without any cheesy crap. agree with everything that has been said...I dont know what it was that made me like it so much but it felt so real!

i enjoyed the way it ended but i wanted, and still want, more! i dont feel like the movie has been completed. i cant stop thinking about it which is good but i think i would still think about it if it continued. i want more!
9/10
Old 07-25-04, 10:06 PM

Just watched this tonight. I liked it pretty well (more than "lost in translation", like most people here). I didn't care for
Spoiler:
the abrupt character change in Olivia; I think she was intelligent enough about her own situation to not have acted that way towards Fin.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 07-25-04 at 10:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.