Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions on collecting Movie Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few I've gotten over the years, nothing really big.

Would like to pick up a few here and there, but had some questions I would like to ask those of you who do collect them:

1) I'll buy a re-released poster (7th Voyage of Sinbad in 75) but won't touch a repo. To me, there is a difference. Do others have this same opinion?

2) Will you collect Non-American 1sts?

3) What about lobby cards? Managed to get an original Dr. Satan Mexican for $10.

4) What the hell are Bentleys and do you collect them?

I'm more into horror/sci-fi/fanatasy up to 1982, and the prices on ebay for 1950-1960 B movies are astounding! Corman's It Conquored the World is going for $500!

Any comments/suggestions, is helpful. I don't have alot of $, just bits here and there.
Old 11-11-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont mind repo's. it depends on the film and what room in the house I'll be displaying them in. films from favs like Kurosawa, Argento or Bava...I like having non-american sheets, if I can. on my Wall of Film....I go for the pricey frames and NO repo. the garage and bathrooms have a few repo 1 sheets.

I love lobby Cards!! my fav set is from the film...The Other('72). I got'em off e-bay...pretty cheap because nobody else wanted them. also have an original poster as well....my fav.

I have a list of poster wants about 100 long!!
Old 11-11-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Reproductions or repossessions?

Old 11-11-03, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had my own place, with a dedicated HT - there is no doubt that I'd have some of the classic movie posters in a frame lining the wall (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, NOES etc). As it is though, I don't have the space or time to do it.
Old 11-12-03, 01:16 AM

I think as in any "Collecting" you need to do it for the love of it. You cannot collect in the hopes of getting money.

I have several movie posters myself, some framed some not. I work in PR so I have a few posters that were actually signed to me from actors and directors etc. Totally no value, but valuable to me. I have a Repro Scarface poster ala cribs...its HUGE, I bought the subway sized one. I know its worthless money wise but when I get that bad boy framed its gonna look sweet in my office or game room as soon as I buy a house!

so...if you enjoy the films and like the posters keep on collecting, I doubt you will ever make any real money. Just love it.
Old 11-12-03, 10:29 AM
Banned

Thanks for the replies!

Oh I'm not doing it for the $, I'd buy real estate instead.

I just love classic movie posters and wish to have a couple lined my HT system downstairs.

Modern posters I have no interest in, but the movies I grew up I really do (70-80's).

It's just funny that alot of the B and C horror/sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's are just out of this world! You can get an original Live and Let Die for $50, yet if you want I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, you're going to pay big bucks.

Again, anybody familar with Bentleys?
Old 11-12-03, 11:32 AM

Im a huge fan of Austrailian daybills. I never knew they existed until this year. I like them for their size, usually 13x30, perfect for framing. Their size is also nice to save some wall space. I started collecting them a few months ago and have picked on some rarities such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Planet of the apes (big $), Shenandoah, Empire Strikes back, and currently on the search for rear window. (i'll have to be prepared to pay dearly for that). Daybills are cool because they usually have different art than the US release.
Old 11-12-03, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Banky
Im a huge fan of Austrailian daybills. I never knew they existed until this year. I like them for their size, usually 13x30, perfect for framing. Their size is also nice to save some wall space. I started collecting them a few months ago and have picked on some rarities such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Planet of the apes (big $), Shenandoah, Empire Strikes back, and currently on the search for rear window. (i'll have to be prepared to pay dearly for that). Daybills are cool because they usually have different art than the US release.
Are they like Lobby Cards?
Old 11-12-03, 03:14 PM

No, think of daybills as one sheets on a diet. Heres a picture of another users daybills that he posted in the home theater thread:

Old 11-12-03, 03:31 PM

On a side note, does anyone know of any forums dedicated to film posters specifically?
Old 11-12-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Banky
On a side note, does anyone know of any forums dedicated to film posters specifically?
This is a mailing list/forum for movie posters. It's more like the older types of forums where questions and such go out as email rather than BB style, like this forum.

http://www.filmfan.com/

Look for their mailing list on the site.
Old 11-12-03, 08:57 PM

Great page..thanks!
Old 11-14-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i want to start purchasing posters for my theater. i know that originals run anywhere from $75 to thousands of dollars.

what is the next step after the original? i dont understand the poster stuff but i like em. i would like to get the best print/original i can afford but im not sure how to tell what i am getting. can you help?

thanks
Old 11-14-03, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Caliking
i want to start purchasing posters for my theater. i know that originals run anywhere from $75 to thousands of dollars.

what is the next step after the original? i dont understand the poster stuff but i like em. i would like to get the best print/original i can afford but im not sure how to tell what i am getting. can you help?

thanks
well, from my brief time looking into it, you can get alot of them for way under $75. The old Sci-Fi/horror titles really are expensive with The Mummy being the most expensive.

Pre 85 or so there is a NSS code on the bottom or something like that. That will tell you if it's an orignal. In addition, the standard size seems to be different than alot of reproductions.
Old 11-14-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats the site that shows the poster and then on the side shows all the sites that are carrying it?
Old 11-14-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
whats the site that shows the poster and then on the side shows all the sites that are carrying it?
that would be an awesome site! anyone know?
Old 11-14-03, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Caliking

thanks
That site I posted ( http://www.filmfan.com ) has a pretty good FAQ that should answer your questions.