Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

One-And-Only Ratchet & Clank Going Commando Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
One-And-Only Ratchet & Clank Going Commando Thread

Well, it's time for the sequel to my favorite game of 2002
The game should be out today or tomorrow. I was a little worried that it might be more of the same, coming out so soon after the original. The reviews make it sound pretty great, though.

IGN gave it an impressive 9.4. Here's a nice excerpt :
Going Commando is a stellar example of how to make a game better than its predecessor in every way. It leaves me with little to complain about. Weighing in as a healthy 20-hour platformer with multifaceted new levels, an impressive selection of previously unseen weapons and gadgets, many of which can be modified and upgraded, Going Commando is a work of videogame perfection. Everything, and I mean everything that was an issue from the first game, has been altered, improved or made for the better.

Here's the full review :

So has anyone tried it yet? Early impressions anyone?
Old 11-11-03, 04:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better than R&C 1? Suh-weet. I finished Gladius just in time!
Old 11-11-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, pretty much every magazine I've read has given it great reviews. The only down side (if you can call it that) that they mention is that it looks like the original R&C. They don't really fault it for that though as they say everything else on it is so great
Old 11-11-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
It is more of the same, but it's better....meaning the game rocks hardcore. It's easily better than Jak 2, in fact I think it's the best platformer of this generation thus far(and that includes Mario Sunshine).
Old 11-11-03, 07:20 PM
Banned

My poor wallet... I might have to wait until next year to pick these up.
Old 11-11-03, 10:33 PM

I've been waiting on this release for some time. The demo was alot of fun. Unfortunately I'm in gaming overload at the moment and need to wait on this one. Doesn't help that I'm broke at the moment either heh. Definitely will get it this year though, R&C is/was the best platformer this gen.
Old 11-11-03, 10:55 PM

Gamespot review

R&C2 Score 8.8

Last paragraph
All in all, Going Commando is as great a game as Ratchet & Clank was, but, considering that Going Commando is largely the same as the original, at times it feels like more of a mission pack than an entirely new game. The new weapon upgrades and other additions are nice touches, but they don't exactly reinvent the game. Still, the main point is that Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando is a great game that will please both fans of the series and newcomers alike, so it's definitely worth your while.

By Jeff Gerstmann
Old 11-12-03, 04:33 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll pick this up when it hits $20. I'm still playing through (and loving) the first one.
Old 11-12-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'll pick this up when it hits $20.
Old 11-13-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

Is it possible to carryover game saves from the original cart?
Old 11-13-03, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by victant

The IGN review says that you can carry over weapons acquired in R&C.

Hope to pick this one up today or tomorrow.
Old 11-13-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Can't wait to see this one in progressive scan!!!
Old 11-14-03, 09:37 AM

Ohhhhh Sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!

OK, it's not that great, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Yes, it looks almost exactly like last year's version, but that's not such a bad thing. They've done just the right amount of tweaking with things I think. From the big things (like the new level-up system) to the little ones (like the ability to throw your wrench without shifting to first person view). Things just work better. The improved blaster makes things a lot more manageble early on. More impressions soon.

BTW, when I broght the game home, my little two year old girl said "Oh, dat's Wachet and Kank!" I was SO proud.
Old 11-14-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"BTW, when I broght the game home, my little two year old girl said "Oh, dat's Wachet and Kank!" I was SO proud."

...Coolest child ever!
Old 11-14-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your daughter speaks Jive? That is pretty sweet.
Old 11-14-03, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by starseed1981
"...Coolest child ever!
Well, I'm biased, but yeah, pretty much.

I got the Spike Jonze DVD in the mail yesterday and ever since, she keeps wanting to watch the "Weapons of Choice" video over and over. She's pretty hip.
Old 11-15-03, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by victant

Just to update this question:
There is a special vendor in one of the early planets (but not right away) who will offer to sell you five of the weapons from R&C. If you have already bought those weapons in the first game, you can then upload them into this one and not have to cough up the bolts.

Still loving this game, but an early mission on a little spherical world has resulted in making me feel very dizzy and sorta woozy.

Uh-oh, I don't feel so good....

Old 11-15-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info, Decker. I'd still have picked this cart up, but this just makes me want it badder....

Last edited by victant; 11-15-03 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-15-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm really liking this game too. Only bad thing I noticed is that it sometimes experiences slowdown when I'm switching weapons. The thing that made me switch the game off (and go to bed) was it *froze*. Little surprising to me as I didn't notice any slowdown or game freezing on the first R&C, but hopefully it'll have kept all of my saves up until that point. I haven't turned it back on since.
Old 11-16-03, 12:06 AM

Haven't had any slowdown or freezing issues at all. I'm sure this isn't what you're referring to, but I just love that now it pauses the game when you change weapons; I used to get clobbered during a fight if I wanted to switch between weapons.

Two other nice improvements:
The automatic (and free) powering-up of weapons after extended use. A brilliant idea that keeps you mastering different sorts of weapons throughout the game instead of falling back on your trusty blaster all the time.
The battle arena. Obviously "inspired" by KOTOR. It's a fun way to make some money instead of backtracking over all the old planets for dumb easy baddies or exploiting a bug for a harvest of bolts (like I did in R&C to get me a RYNO).
Old 11-16-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
another must have game for the holidays

I hope we see some XMAS sales or I will be spending a bunch this holiday.
Old 11-16-03, 08:43 AM

This is a great game. I'm enjoying it right now. Publishers should do a game like this, you play all the way tro the end.
Old 11-16-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it. So heres my thoughts.....

The game forces you to do to much. There a certain portions later in the game where the difficulty is raised to such a high-level that you need better armor and weapons to get past them, thus forcing you too spend time killing for bolts and such. While I'm sure many gamers may enjoy this it feels very tedious and is not ideal for the younger gaming crowd which the title is geared towards.

Also, the difficulty level as a whole is excessive for a platform title. Again, many people on this board will have no issues with it but I feel it may turn alot of gamers off.

Additionally, I ran into alot of bugs...such as getting stuck into walls in the later levels, the quick-select menu freezing, and so on.

Last edited by starseed1981; 11-16-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by starseed1981
Just finished it. So heres my thoughts.....

The game forces you to do to much. There a certain portions later in the game where the difficulty is raised to such a high-level that you need better armor and weapons to get past them, thus forcing you too spend time killing for bolts and such. While I'm sure many gamers may enjoy this it feels very tedious and is not ideal for the younger gaming crowd which the title is geared towards.

Also, the difficulty level as a whole is excessive for a platform title. Again, many people on this board will have no issues with it but I feel it may turn alot of gamers off.

Additionally, I ran into alot of bugs...such as getting stuck into walls in the later levels, the quick-select menu freezing, and so on.
That's the point of having an experience system though. No point in the system if you can just do everything in the game without "leveling up" so to speak. It's like saying I should be able to kill Sephiroth without leveling once in FF7.

The game is rated teen, not sure what you mean by younger crowd.

From playing the demo and the original R&C I don't see the game being harder than Jak 2,which isn't to terribly difficult most of the time.

The quick-select menu freezing, do you mean all the action stops while your selecting your weapon,if so that is suppose to happen, if it's something else I dunno, I haven't read any complaints from other players as of yet.
Old 11-16-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the point of having an experience system though. No point in the system if you can just do everything in the game without "leveling up" so to speak. It's like saying I should be able to kill Sephiroth without leveling once in FF7.
I totally agree, I'm just saying that the difficulty goes through the roof and you have to take EXCESSIVE amounts of time getting bolts for armor, etc.

The game is rated teen, not sure what you mean by younger crowd.
I just think that with the packaging and furry mascot the most viable people that are gonna purchase the title are of the younger crowd.

The quick-select menu freezing, do you mean all the action stops while your selecting your weapon,if so that is suppose to happen, if it's something else I dunno, I haven't read any complaints from other players as of yet.
No, there is a small freeze after you switch weapons...it almost feels like a mini loading time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.