Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is this even possible, or a stupid question?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it possible for a game to be played with an Anamorphic Widescreen Squeeze on a Sony Wega. I know you can play it like that but are any current games accept it, or is it even possible for future games.

Or is that a retarded question?
Old 11-11-03, 02:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any game that has a 16 x 9 mode should work in that mode. I'm not sure if there are any games that support 16 x 9 though I seem to recall hearing a few hear and there.
Old 11-11-03, 02:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sure, there are a lot of 16x9 games that would work in that mode. A lot for the Xbox, some for the Gamecube, and a few for the PS2. There are even a couple N64 games that support it.
Old 11-11-03, 02:12 PM
Retired

One thing to keep in mind, is that these games were undoubtably designed to be played in 4x3, so that is basically the OAR for the games.

The widescreen mode may not be as good, and be more of an afterthough. I could see it being better for football games as you'd see more of the field.
Old 11-11-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Dead or Alive Volleyball, playing in normal 4:3 mode only lets you see one side of the court at a time - and the camera pans between the two sides as the ball goes back & forth. Playing in widescreen mode lets you see both sides of the court at once. That is reason enough to play the game in widescreen mode. And to buy a widescreen TV.
Old 11-11-03, 02:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
One thing to keep in mind, is that these games were undoubtably designed to be played in 4x3, so that is basically the OAR for the games.
I disagree. I haven't seen a game where the 16x9 mode wasn't an improvement.
Old 11-11-03, 02:39 PM
Retired

I was just making a guess. I think it wouldn't be an improvement for me to use widescreen on my 27" Wega. But if you actually have a 16X9 TV I guess it would probably be better.
Old 11-11-03, 03:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's funny that this came up because I just asked a guy about this on the IGN boards last night. I just got a 27" WEGA with 16:9 enhancement. I have a GameCube and the component cables and would like to give it a spin. Just need to hook it up in the bedroom where the TV is. It is my understanding that it's possible, but I'm not sure if the game will default to 16:9 or if it's a setting I have to chose or what.

According to Planet GameCube, games that run in 16:9 for GCN are:

Burnout
Die Hard: Vendetta
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero
F1 2002
Fifa Soccer 2003
Madden NFL 2002
Madden NFL 2003
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona
NCAA Football 2003
NFL 2K3
Soul Calibur 2
Star Fox Adventures
Super Monkey Ball 2

There's probably a few more as well.
Old 11-12-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've tried it before, but I didn't really like the results. The games I've tried it with (Soul Calibur 2, a couple of the Tony Hawk games, and Goldeneye for N64) change the field of vision so that it looks as though you're seeing it through a wider lens, but you don't see more of your surroundings-it just looks distorted to me. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

The one game I saw that does use it effectively is Madden, which adds extra space on the sides so you can see more of the field. If you have a widescreen TV, this is definitely the way to go, but on a 4:3 set you're better off playing it full screen IMO.

With the XBox, it will be enabled automatically if you set it up in the dashboard for "wide" mode.
Old 11-12-03, 12:22 AM

I do this on my WEGA and it looks great. The John Madden games support it, as well as Eternal Darkness, Clone Wars, and quite a few others. The smaller viewing area on the TV is a tradeoff, though.
Old 11-12-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This brings back memories of this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=267561

ctyner had some really good images that show how much more information is present on the 16:9 image compared to the 4:3 image, but they don't show up anymore since it's a really old thread. Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of which way you should go on a 4:3 sized screen...