Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

List of rumored changes to the original Star Wars movies for their DVD release

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 01:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was posted in the DVD rumor thread in DVD Talk, but it's more movie related and deserves a thread of it's own where more people can see/discuss it IMO.

Originally posted by al_bundy
Here is a post I saw on slashdot.org last week when the story first came out.

These were listed on the Star Wars Galaxies forums, so take them as you will. The guy who posted 'em swore they were legit, but we all know how that goes.

Got this off of a site that talks about movies, 411mania.com. I kept in the post the actual site they got their info from. Sounds good...and bad......the endings of Return of the Jedi I'm sure you'll hate now. Anyways, here it is:

CREDIT: AICN news

Episode IV: A New Hope

01. The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.
02. When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.
03. The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.
04. There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.
05. In the Cantina, the Duros(green aliens guys) have been replaced with Neimoidians and some aliens from the prequels have been added.
06. The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.
07. The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.
08. Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.
09. In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.
10. The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.
11. The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.
12. When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.
13. The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.
14. The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.
15. The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.
16. More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.
17. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.
18. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.
19. The Death Star plans that are taken from R2 have been updated. When the Rebels are reviewing the Death Star plans they look similar to the plans we see in Attack of the Clones.
20. The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.
21. There's a new scene(shot during Episode III) where Darth Vader goes to Coruscant and lands his ship in the same building Count Dooku does at the end of Attack of the Clones. Except now the building is all fixed up and it is now Palpatine's palace. He meets with Palpatine to ask for forgiveness for his failure and inform him of a new potential who is strong in the Force.
22. Chewbacca now gets a medal.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

01. The taun-tauns are now CG.
02. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.
03. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.
04. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.
05. The slug monster is CG.
06. Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.
07. Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more _expression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.
08. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.
09. The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.
10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

01. Jabba the Hutt is now a combination of the puppet and CG.
02. The Rancor is CG and looks disgusting as ever.
03. Yoda is CG. Yoda disappears leaving his clothes behind like Obi-Wan now.
04. The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.
05. The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.
06. Temuera Morrison's like before is now the voice for Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.
07. In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.
08. White boxes around ships removed.
09. The black blotches around Palpatine's face are gone.
10. Some of the lightsaber effects have been redone. The shadows that the lightsabers made on the floor are gone.
11. During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.
12. Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".
13. We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.
14. Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age. He looks on proudly at his son Luke with the spirit of Padme by his side
I personally think all these changes sound great, they fix the only problems I had with the SE's (Greedo shooting first and the lame Jabba scene in ANH), will fix a bunch of crappy effects, and will make the six movies flow much better together.

But I do hope they put out the unaltered originals just to shut up the whiner purists who cry about wanting to see the movie the way the director intended all the time and then bitch and moan when someone updates their own movie.
Old 11-11-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Josh, if these changes are true, I love them all EXCEPT for the whole spirit of Padme thing. I understand why such a thing would be considered
Spoiler:
(if the rumour of her death in Ep. III is accurate)
but, unless something new is explained in Episode III, it totally contradicts the internal logic of these films. Other than that, these changes would tie things up nicely.

So I take it the rumour of adding Qui-Gon and Mace Windu at the end of Return of the Jedi was false?
Old 11-11-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they are real too and not just some fan-made changes/wishlist.
Old 11-11-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like a load of BS. At least I hope it is. I realize Lucas wants the 6 films to form a cohesive whole, but this is going way overboard. Dubbing Temuera Morrison's voice for Boba Fett and all the Stormtroopers? I guess Lucas never noticed that the Stormtroopers were all different heights in the Holy Trilogy. Of course, he could always go back and alter that with CGI.
Old 11-11-03, 01:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but I liked the rubbery wobbly movements of the non-CGI Tauntaun closeup shots.

10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

Question: does Lucas retain the girlie scream that Luke emits as he falls?
Old 11-11-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This type of speculation is why so many people claim to hate George Lucas and why he is in a no win situation.

If he does these rumoured things, the purists will hate him. If he does not do them, he is called other names because of the gospel of the internet. If he does some of them and people do not like them, both camps will howl.

As far as I am concerned I will continue to watch my laserdisc box set until something is released. I would be perfectly happy to have the originals on DVD, unaltered. Put all the supplemental material you want on additional discs.
Old 11-11-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, it's about time Chewie got his medal!
Old 11-11-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
Question: does Lucas retain the girlie scream that Luke emits as he falls?
Wasn't that something that was added for the SE? I'm gonna have to watch my OT tapes again.
Old 11-11-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Thank goodness I already have the LD's of the OT as well as a DVD version of them and then all the other releases. choices choices choices.
Old 11-11-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I'm writing this off as fan speculation/BS. To be honest, the list sounded like the sort of changes Lucas could make until I got to this:

08. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.

This just strikes me as being a totally unrealistic addition. Clearly something thought up by a fanboy as being 'cool'.

I thought this was really funny.
Old 11-11-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
This type of speculation is why so many people claim to hate George Lucas and why he is in a no win situation.

If he does these rumoured things, the purists will hate him. If he does not do them, he is called other names because of the gospel of the internet. If he does some of them and people do not like them, both camps will howl.

As far as I am concerned I will continue to watch my laserdisc box set until something is released. I would be perfectly happy to have the originals on DVD, unaltered. Put all the supplemental material you want on additional discs.
Actually, Doughboy is the only person who's complained so far. I'm sure Josh and Pixy would buy both the originals and the new ones (if they actually feature these, mostly positive, rumoured changes) if/when they are made available. I would too.
Old 11-11-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
Damn, it's about time Chewie got his medal!
Damn right!
Old 11-11-03, 02:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
Actually, Doughboy is the only person who's complained so far. I'm sure Josh and Pixy would buy both the originals and the new ones (if they actually feature these, mostly positive, rumoured changes) if/when they are made available. I would too.
I half heartingly complained about the CGI'ing of the Tauntauns...
Old 11-11-03, 02:17 PM
Retired

Originally posted by RocShemp
I'd buy the new ones and probably not the old ones. Unless I ended up hating the new ones. I'm one of the odd balls that prefers the SEs to the originals (only gripes are greedo shooting first, and the poor cgi Jabba scene in ANH).

I want to see the movie the way the director wants it to be seen TODAY, not the best he could do/way he had the story 26-20 years ago.
Old 11-11-03, 02:20 PM

As I was reading this, I thought to myself, "Hey these are alright. I can see these happening." Then I saw #22 for Episode IV. Only Wookie fanboys desperately want this to happen.
Old 11-11-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like BS, but if they are true the changes sound horrible.

The only way I would be happy with this release is if it coincided with a release of the original unaltered movies.

I understand they are Lucas' creations, but enough is enough, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with letting the public own the unaltered, original versions.
Old 11-11-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
I half heartingly complained about the CGI'ing of the Tauntauns...
Considering how passionate complaints here usually are, a half-hearted complaint is the same as no complaint at all.

But it's all good.
Old 11-11-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm writing this off as fan speculation/BS. To be honest, the list sounded like the sort of changes Lucas could make until I got to this:

This just strikes me as being a totally unrealistic addition. Clearly something thought up by a fanboy as being 'cool'.

I thought this was really funny.
I said the same thing an hour ago in the OT thread.
Old 11-11-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'd buy the new ones and probably not the old ones. Unless I ended up hating the new ones. I'm one of the odd balls that prefers the SEs to the originals (only gripes are greedo shooting first, and the poor cgi Jabba scene in ANH).

I want to see the movie the way the director wants it to be seen TODAY, not the best he could do/way he had the story 26-20 years ago.
Personally, I'd like both. The originals because, despite Lucas' dissatisfaction with the finished product, they looked far from unfinished to the legions of fans it inspired. The new ones because it'd be the only way to make the prequels fit with the OT. As things stand the new trilogy is more like a set of OVAs (much like what Escaflowne: A Girl In Gaia was to the series Escaflowne).
Old 11-11-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I really really really need to get around to getting a capture card and make a digital version of the original trilogy before my vhs tapes degrade. If only I had the widescreen version of them
Old 11-11-03, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a fan list.

Vader saying "It is Finished..." Those were Jesus' last words on the cross. If Lucas added that, why would he have changed the "Celebrate The Lord" at the end of JEDI in the special editions? And we all know there's no way in hell Lucas is going to let Han shoot first again!
Old 11-11-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=188&tid=97

Here is where I originally read it. I did a quick search on TFN, but couldn't find anything in the forums.
Old 11-11-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I'll complain.. because he's changing ESB & ROTJ, which he never directed.

As for putting Hayden in, why stop there? Why not just take out all the scenes with Alec Guinness and replace them with Ewan, too?
Old 11-11-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by devilshalo
I'll complain.. because he's changing ESB & ROTJ, which he never directed.
Well you have a point there. But why didn't he direct those two when he's been so adamant about directing the rest himself?

Originally posted by devilshalo
As for putting Hayden in, why stop there? Why not just take out all the scenes with Alec Guinness and replace them with Ewan, too?
Alec Guinness would probably be grateful because, as I recall, he hated Star Wars and only worked on it and the sequels because of the amount of money they were willing to offer him.
Old 11-11-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Alec Guinness would probably be grateful because, as I recall, he hated Star Wars and only worked on it and the sequels because of the amount of money they were willing to offer him. [/B][/QUOTE]

He might be grateful if he wasnt dead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.