Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Websites that list paperback release dates?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 11-11-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Anyone know of any sites that list these? I've been dying to read The DaVinci Code for a while now, but I don't want to pay the hardback price. Plus, there's been times in the past when I've bought the hardback and the paperback came out a week later.
I just checked Amazon, but didn't see it listed anywhere.
Old 11-11-03, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booksnbytes.com has a section that lists both upcoming hardcovers and paperbacks by month for the next year. Granted the farther out you go they arn't very complete, but they are updated regularly. Don't look for Davinci code to go to paperback anytime soon, as it is still on most best seller lists in hardcover. Probably will be several more months.
Old 11-11-03, 01:46 PM

Cool, thanks for the link!
But several more months... Looks like I'll be caving in...
Old 11-11-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I've found that mass market paperbacks of the big bestsellers usually are published about 9-12 months after the hardcover. DaVinci Code was published in hardcover in March 2003, so I'd expect the paperback sometime around the same time in 2004.

More literary works, namely books that will be published in the larger soft cover form and are "more respected" than mass selling stuff can take longer. The Lovely Bones was published in hardcover in June 2002 and still has not been announced for a paperback edition.
Old 11-11-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TomBanjo: Have you read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons? It's in paperback and features the same main character as DaVinci Code with a similar story, this time about the Illuminati, Vatican politics, antimatter and terrorists.
Old 11-11-03, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
I've found that mass market paperbacks of the big bestsellers usually are published about 9-12 months after the hardcover. DaVinci Code was published in hardcover in March 2003, so I'd expect the paperback sometime around the same time in 2004.

More literary works, namely books that will be published in the larger soft cover form and are "more respected" than mass selling stuff can take longer. The Lovely Bones was published in hardcover in June 2002 and still has not been announced for a paperback edition.
All true, but I wonder though if in the case of the Lovely Bones if it has more to do with its continued strong sales ranking than any kind of schedule. I seem to remember it spent like over a year in the top ten. If I'm the author I'm in no big hurry to move it to paperback. Same thing I think might happen with DaVinci Code. With sales still beating out many newer releases they may delay bringing it to paperback. I admit I don't know how much say the author has in this process, but it would seem to be in his and the publishers best interests to wait until interest slows a little before going to paperback. That may not be for a long time. Hope I'm wrong, because I'm waiting for that sucker also!!
Old 11-11-03, 06:02 PM

TomBanjo: Have you read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons? It's in paperback and features the same main character as DaVinci Code with a similar story, this time about the Illuminati, Vatican politics, antimatter and terrorists.
My wife just finished Deception Point, and though it does not have the same main character as Angels and DaVinci, she said it was an outstanding read as well. I definately echo Revliver on Angels & Demons, it was a very enjoyable read.

Brown also has a book called Digital Fortress, which I believe is currently available as a trade paperback. Haven't read that one yet, but Target has it pretty reasonably priced if you want another Brown book to tide you over.
Old 11-11-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
If a book has particularly strong sales, or a becomes an "event" book, it usually takes a long time to come out in a softcover edition.

"Bridges of Madison County," being one. "Lovely Bones" is also another, more recent example.

Since Brown has several books already out in PB, "DaVinci Code" might make it out in softcover a little earlier. Hard to say.

If there was a release date set for a PB edition, Amazon would probably show it.
Old 11-11-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My feeling with DaVinci Code is it will most likely make it to paperback on schedule in March 2004. It's a mass selling book, so most likely, when it was published, it probably already had a paperback deal done. Much like any Stephen King, Tom Clancy or John Grisham.

With Lovely Bones, since it was pretty much an unknown author's first novel (she had previously published a memoir), there was probably no paperback deal in place originally. After the hardcover became a best seller with strong legs, a deal was probably signed that stipulated it couldn't come out in paperback until it had been off the bestseller list for so many weeks in hardcover.
Old 11-12-03, 08:32 AM

Nope, I've never read any Dan Brown before. But now I'm compelled to read this because it's got the same main character.