Reload this Page >

Best third party PS2 controller?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-10-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm looking for recomendations for a good third party controller(including wireless).

I saw this one called "Chameleon", it's about half the side of the Sony controller. Anyone use it? Also your thoughts on the Retro-Controllers, Mad Katz and Logitech wireless and such.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Best thrid party controller" is an oxymoron.

The best will still be bad, stick with the Sony made gear.
Old 11-10-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, right on
Old 11-10-03, 12:15 PM

looks like we're looking for the same thing, although i definately want a wireless controller...i'm leaning towards the logitech, as that seems to be getting the best reviews, but i'm still unsure...
Old 11-10-03, 01:22 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would agree. Stick with Sony made equipment. I have a Chameleon and it's alright, but I prefer the Sony. It is a bit smaller which isn't a problem for me since my hands arent overly big. If you have big hands you may not want this. The offset trigger buttons takes some getting used to, but what I hate is the stiffness of the D-pad.

Old 11-12-03, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The logitech wireless controllers are the way to go. Warning, they are bulky - heavy and big like an XBox controller. I like them. I personally hate the PS2 controller. Have never liked it. A company called justdeals has them on ebay refurbished for big savings. they also have a website, but their ebay prices were better for me.
Old 11-12-03, 10:19 AM

hmm...ur the first person i've ever heard that didn't like the ps2 dual shock controller..I played with the logitech at best buy and the joysticks had no resistance whatsoever, and the d-pad was to slick..size was not really an issue, i like that it looks like Batmans boomerang, but i'm not sure about those other things i mentioned...
Old 11-12-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't tried the logitech wireless controller yet, but that would be the only non-Sony controller I would consider buying. I've had a couple 3rd party PS2 controllers (not logitech), and they've all sucked.
Old 11-12-03, 02:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by dasmooth1
hmm...ur the first person i've ever heard that didn't like the ps2 dual shock controller
I'm not a huge fan of it either. They need to switch the location of the D-pad and the right analog stick and it would be money.
Old 11-12-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Last week, Sony's Dual Shock II (all colors) and memory card was $19.99 at Best Buy ($14.99 with $5 gamer coupon). Was it just a sale, or was that a price drop?
Old 11-12-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm not a huge fan of it either. They need to switch the location of the D-pad and the right analog stick and it would be money.
Agree. The analog sticks themselves could use a little tweaking.. they were fine in 96 when they were the 2nd analog console controller out there (N64 was first?) but that was a LONG time ago and the only thing that has changed is you can push them in making L3 and R3 buttons. The convex shape is also poor for game that requires you to mantain precise hold and control of anaolg movements (Gitaroo Man in paticular, maybe the only game where this is a problem) as your thumb slides off easily.
Old 11-12-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always thought the ps2 dual shock sucked big time. It's great as a digital controller, but the analog sticks are sucky in every way. GCN & Xbox analog sticks are soooo much better.
Old 11-13-03, 09:56 AM

My thumbs slipped off the PS2 analog sticks all the time playing SOCOM II. I was hoping to hear a resounding recommendation for a third party controller in this thread.

Thong
Old 11-13-03, 10:50 AM

i'm seriously considering the pelican "predator" wireless controller. It's $40 at best buy ($35 with the coupon) and it looked much like the dual shock, which i like..IGN gave it a pretty good review. Only thing I hate is that you can't "feel" it before buying it, and the fact that its not an insanely high price like the logitech..