Looney Toons/Porky Pig question

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I remember watching two Porky Pig cartonns when I was younger and I was wondering if anyone could identify them for me. I vaguely remember them. In the first one, it involves Porky Pig smoking a cigar, he goes to hell, he gets his eyes held open a'la Clockwork Orange and food is stuffed down his throat. In another one, he is reading a comic book and falls asleep. In his dream, the Universal Monsters appear (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman)

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-03, 10:48 AM

I don't remember a cartoon with Porky smoking, but the rest of your first description sounds like "Pigs is Pigs":

A pig (named Sammy) is sleeping in bed when he hears his mother call that breakfast is ready. He rushes down the stairs to the breakfast table, bowling over his siblings, and eats everything in sight. Once he finishes, his mother (off camera) berates him and tells him that one of these days he's going to eat too much and explode.

He walks toward school, pulling his books along behind him, and stops by a house. A bald, hiccuping man asks him to come in and eat anything he wants. Sammy sits at an easy chair next to a table. This man, a mad scientist type, pushes the table away and the chair turns out to be a metal chair with wrist cuffs and a "snout cuff." The chair drops down into the floor on a platform and starts carrying Sammy to various machines that force feed him pies, ice cream, soup, and various other things. After a couple minutes of this montage, the chair comes to a rest, and Sammy is HUMUNGOUS. The scientist unstraps him and, laughing, tells him that he's not even half full. Sammy starts waddling toward the door and sees a turkey on the table. He pulls off a leg, takes a bite, chews, swallows, and EXPLODES.

Sammy, completely hidden under the covers of his bed, is wailing and struggling. He hears his mother calling him to breakfast, and pokes his head out from under the covers, realizing it was all a dream. He rushes down the stairs to breakfast and begins eating his soup as fast as he can.

That's all, folks!
Old 11-10-03, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by WhovianZorker
I don't remember a cartoon with Porky smoking, but the rest of your first description sounds like "Pigs is Pigs":

A pig (named Sammy) is sleeping in bed when he hears his mother call that breakfast is ready. He rushes down the stairs to the breakfast table, bowling over his siblings, and eats everything in sight. Once he finishes, his mother (off camera) berates him and tells him that one of these days he's going to eat too much and explode.

He walks toward school, pulling his books along behind him, and stops by a house. A bald, hiccuping man asks him to come in and eat anything he wants. Sammy sits at an easy chair next to a table. This man, a mad scientist type, pushes the table away and the chair turns out to be a metal chair with wrist cuffs and a "snout cuff." The chair drops down into the floor on a platform and starts carrying Sammy to various machines that force feed him pies, ice cream, soup, and various other things. After a couple minutes of this montage, the chair comes to a rest, and Sammy is HUMUNGOUS. The scientist unstraps him and, laughing, tells him that he's not even half full. Sammy starts waddling toward the door and sees a turkey on the table. He pulls off a leg, takes a bite, chews, swallows, and EXPLODES.

Sammy, completely hidden under the covers of his bed, is wailing and struggling. He hears his mother calling him to breakfast, and pokes his head out from under the covers, realizing it was all a dream. He rushes down the stairs to breakfast and begins eating his soup as fast as he can.

That's all, folks!
Yep, thats the one. Thanks so much. I dunno, I remember this other pig stopping Porky int he street and blowing smoke rings with a cigar. Porky tries and starts coughing. Hmmm...

Anyone know the title of the one with the monsters?
Old 11-10-03, 12:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The cartoon where Porky smokes is "Wholly Smoke" (1938). After smoking too much, Porky has a hallucination in a tobacco shop, in which smoke is forced down his lungs in a manner similar to A Clockwork Orange.

Pigs is Pigs is a 1937 Warner cartoon (and the one described above); there's also a 1954 Disney cartoon with the same name.

Don't know about the Porky/monsters cartoon, though.

Last edited by digidoh; 11-10-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by digidoh
The cartoon where Porky smokes is "Wholly Smoke" (1938). After smoking too much, Porky has a hallucination in a tobacco shop, in which smoke is forced down his lungs in a manner similar to A Clockwork Orange.

Pigs is Pigs is a 1937 Warner cartoon (and the one described above); there's also a 1954 Disney cartoon with the same name.

Don't know about the Porky/monsters cartoon, though.
I must have been thinking about BOTH 'Pigs is Pigs' and 'Wholly Smoke'. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Looney Toons/Porky Pig question

Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs
...the Universal Monsters appear (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman)
Possibly Book Review? I'm going by memory from a long time ago too, but I recall a cartoon in a library where characters from books come out, including The Monster from Frankenstein, Fu Manchu, Dracula. That one has Daffy, though. But since you're piecing together other cartoons from memory, that maybe where that came from.
Old 11-10-03, 03:04 PM

The second one you're thinking of is called "Night of the Living Duck", and actually stars Daffy Duck, not Porky Pig. Daffy is reading a comic, falls asleep, and then wakes up, and sings for all of the monsters. Unless there is another cartoon with Porky, your description sounds exactly like this cartoon. You can find it on the recent Space Jam 2 disc DVD that was released last Tuesday.
Old 11-10-03, 05:49 PM

That's the one. Thanks. It was Daffy Duck. However, I can't bring myself to buy Space Jam (I hate the film) just for one cartooon. Maybe it will show up on a future set...
Old 11-10-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Night of the Living Duck is a recent one from 1988.