Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Good CD Resurfacers?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Good CD Resurfacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good CD Resurfacers?

I'm looking for a good CD resurfacing machine. I'm doubtful if CD's can even be resurfaced to look like new, but I'm just looking for input.
Old 11-11-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes Monkey. CDs can be resurfaced to look like new. Unfortunately I do not know of a consumer based machine. I do, however, bring CDs to:
http://www.cdwarehouse.com

They have a Minnesota site too at:
http://www.cdwarehousemn.com

I am pretty sure that you should be able to buy these machines. I don't know where or how but I'm sure they would be a place to start. I'm sure they ae not cheap though. I typically bring in a few CDs or DVDs and get them resurfaced. It does not work on ALL circumstances. If you have a scratched CD that is from typical use, i.e. not throwing the CD around like a frisbee, the machine will fill in the scratches and the CD or DVD looks new. But if you have a badly scratched CD or DVD this may or may not help. I know when I picked up a used DVD that was REALLY scratched it helped but did not resolve the playing issues.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Fletch, you may be surprised to know that CDW uses the Spin Doctor! These things are $20, so if you have a bunch of scratched discs, you may just want to buy one. I have one and can say it works pretty well.
Old 11-12-03, 12:17 AM
Banned

Thanks, guys. Looking into the Spin Doctor.

I have a CD Warehouse right down the street from me, but I think they charge upwards of $4 for this service.
Old 11-12-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Fletch, you may be surprised to know that CDW uses the Spin Doctor! These things are $20, so if you have a bunch of scratched discs, you may just want to buy one. I have one and can say it works pretty well."

Let me explain myself a little better. The device that CD Warehouse in Mn uses is NOT the Spin Doctor. I know this as a FACT. The last time I saw the 'Spin Doctor' it was a device that you stick the CD into and it 'sands' the cd down so the scratches are not as deep. It DID NOT resurface. I refuse to use a sander on my CDs or DVDs for that matter.

wfujosh:
When you use the Spin Doctor does the CD look dull on the surface or does it look brand new?

Last edited by C_Fletch; 11-12-03 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-12-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Fletch,

#1) The CDWs in Cleveland used them, but I believe you that yours didn't. May not be the same franchise.

#2) I'd say it looks alot BETTER. It removes a great deal of the surface scratches visually, but leaves a sort of effect that looks like interlaying stairs. But they do look and play alot better. I saved two CDs so far and some of my finacee's who believes that her dashboard is a safe place to leave a CD face up!
Old 11-13-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I saved two CDs so far and some of my finacee's who believes that her dashboard is a safe place to leave a CD face up!"

I always wondered if those actually worked. Even the retailers selling them had this weird look int their eye everytime I asked them how it worked. I got the distinct impresion that they didn't work very well. I even saw one being used and I could tell it was resurfacing the CD by grinding out the deep scratches. Just didn't seem like a good investment at the time. It's GREAT that it works though.
Old 11-13-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.stanleylondon.com/brasso.htm

I had good results with this stuff. In the army we used it to shine medals and crap for inspections.