Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about 3:2 Pull Down

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How important of a feature is this on a RPTV? Im still trying to understand exactly what 3:2 Pulldown is. The TV Im looking to buy does not have this as a feature, however I do have it on my DVD player. I could get another TV that does have the 3:2 pulldown for cheaper, however its not as big (47" vs. 55"). Will it be suffecient enough just to have it on my dvd player, or is this a major feature that I should really consider making sure is part of a TV that I purchase. I figured best to come ask the "experts" here to get the lowdown

Here is the TV I plan to purchase. They have it at SAMS for $1498.00

http://dvdtalk.pricegrabber.com/sear...1a6e9e65d0cd88
Old 11-09-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3:2 pull down would be needed to enable the conversion on other sources that you'll be viewing besides DVD like regular cable or sat and video tapes. At the price it's tempting but you get what you pay for. If you can spend a bit more or are good at haggling you might want to look at the 55" Mits which is a better built TV IMO and can be had for about $1800 and doesn't come missing anything.
Old 11-10-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Except 720p. I'm still pissed about that.
Old 11-10-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mits can do 720p just not from the type of RF signal the Xbox sends out. Why harp over a little thing that effects so few?
Old 11-10-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it affects me?
Old 11-11-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but it's not like you can't play the game. It still plays in 480p and if your TV is set right I bet you couldn't see a difference while playing but only if you really looked hard and long. Complain to the game makers to start using 1080i and what are there about 20 games that support 720p? To me that's no reason to not look at buying this TV.
Old 11-11-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I wouldn't know if I can tell the difference between 720p and 480p, because I don't have a television that will do 720p (Mits WS-65313). And yes, the X-Box should do 1080i, and yes, I'm pissed it doesn't.

But I'm also pissed that my 65" Mits that should have been "complete", is not. To say it isn't missing anything is not true -- it's missing 720p. Granted, it's not a big deal, and I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but had I known that it didn't do 720p and another, comparible television did, I would have taken the 720p. Yes, for the 20 X-Box games that support it.

Yes, I know that you shouldn't play video games on big screens. I didn't have burn-in problems on my Toshiba, and if I get them on the Mits, well, that's what extended service plans are for.
Old 11-12-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But it does support 720p HD for broadcast just not from Xbox so saying it doesn't support 720p isn't entirely accurate. It's made to support TV broadcasts and nothing else. The fact that other brands do support Xbox is an extra feature on those brands but nothing is missing from the Mits that it wasn't designed to do.
Old 11-12-03, 03:46 AM

The Mits doesn't support 720p regardless if it is an hdtv signal or an Xbox video feed. The only way it can display a 720p hdtv broadcast is for the hdtv decoder to convert the signal to 1080i before it is sent to the set.

I think it is beneficial to those interested in this particular set, and other similar hdtv sets, to know that 720p is not supported. Knowing a set's features AND limitations is the only way to make an informed decision. Lacking 720p support does not make the Mits a bad set. But it does make it the wrong choice for someone that does want 720p support.
Old 11-12-03, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok I say it another way. A Mits with a built in HD tuner will support 720p broadcasts and upconvert the signal to 1080i for display. Mits HD ready sets which need an external HD STB or the Promise Module upgrade will use the HD STB or the PM to do the upconversion of these 720p broadcasts to 1080i. So Mits do support 720p even if they won't display 720p without the upconversion but no recent CRT based RPTV HD will display 720p either. They all convert it to 1080i for display. The only difference is that some brands will also support the type of RF 720p signal sent out by the Xbox which is different than a broadcast signal from OTA or Sat and Mits doesn't support this type of RF 720p signal. If playing a few dozen 720p Xbox games is important to you then don't look at Mits but if you can live with Xbox at 480p for these games and play the 1080i games that are out for Xbox then the Mits is a great HDTV.
Old 11-12-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, you're acting like we shot your mother.

I have a Mits widescreen. I love it. It's a great television -- with one flaw I wish it did not have. I feel it's fair to point out this flaw rather than say the television is perfect and 'doesn't come missing anything'.

It was an issue for me, and if I had had a little more time to pick out a television, I feel that I could have found a RPTV with 720p (they do exist). I would have at least made it a point to go and look and compare. As it was, when I asked the salesman if the television did 720p, I got the response, "Man, this television does it all." Guess what, it doesn't do it all. It's missing a feature that I deemed important to me, though not a deal breaker.

In the end, it does not stop the television from being great. Still, I would have liked to have known before I purchased the television, so that I could have made a fully informed decision.
Old 11-13-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is Halo a 720p game? Cuz I have the Mits 55313 and that game looks like complete ass on my set. I have calabrated it using Avia, and it looks great playing dvds and ok with Directv, but the xbox is horrid looking.
Old 11-13-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, Halo is not 720p. It's only 480p, and not 16:9. Try playing it on narrow.

I also find the quality on the Mits is so high that any imperfections on your signal are going to show up vividly. Also, certain modes show up the compression more than others, most notably, the zoom and expand modes. Stretch and stretch plus also magnify artifcating, though not as bad.

I will say that after calibration with Avia, and a nice weeklong burn-in, my set looks much better.

If you'd like to see what X-Box games are offered in 720p, look here. I really thought there were more.