Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Finding Nemo II?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding Nemo II?

I was thinking about this last night while going through the DVD. Disney usually will release a sequel to a big film like 'Nemo' and it usually ends up direct to video. I was wondering if you think Dismey will make Finding Nemo II. Personally, I hope not. The film is fine as it is and they really didn't open it up for a sequel. What do you think?
Old 11-09-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree. Just watched it again on DVD last night. Great movie that stands alone.
Old 11-09-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Doubt it, since no Pixar film has gone straight to video. Toy Story 2 was supposed to, but was too damn good
Old 11-09-03, 03:00 PM

Given the break up of Pixar and Disney, I would say this would be pretty unlikely.

BTW, Toy Story 2 started out as an idea for a direct to video sequel, but as work progressed on it, the heads at Disney knew the quality of the story was good enough for theatrical release.

This sequel, not counting towards Pixars contractual fulfillment, is the reason for a great deal of bad feelings between them and Disney.
Old 11-09-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yes it is, but pixar needs disney as much as disney needs pixar so they should be coming to a agreement soon.
Old 11-09-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
nor would it be the first time there was a non-Pixar-ated sequel to a Pixar movie...

Buzz Lightyear comes to mind...
Old 11-09-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well I personally love the hand drawn art to Finding nemo as well as Monsters Inc. I wouldn't mind some sort of sequel. i may be bad, in that case I wont watch it, but it may be good in which case it couldn't hurt.
Old 11-09-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
yes it is, but pixar needs disney as much as disney needs pixar so they should be coming to a agreement soon.
I dont think Pixar need Disney, they make the movie themselves, Disney really is just distribution. In the beginning they needed the Disney Financing, but I dont think they need that now after all the money their films have made and seeing as its owned by Steve Jobs who im sure has a bit of cash tucked down the back of his sofa

Im sure there will be some sort of agreement but I think it will be heavily in Pixars favour (ie Disney just take the distribution rights and Pixar self finance and thus take most of profits)

If Disney dont agree then Pixar wouldnt find it too difficult to find another studio to distribute for them.
Old 11-09-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Totally agree with you! Pixar is a heavy hitter now! When was the last smash hit disney movie? Pixar needs to break free and become the new kiddy GIANT!
Old 11-09-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
Totally agree with you! Pixar is a heavy hitter now! When was the last smash hit disney movie?
Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl: $302 million in domestic BO and counting

Oh, did you mean Disney animation? Brother Bear has cleared $44 million in nine days, and could clear the $100 mill barrier at this rate.
Originally posted by rushmore223
Given the break up of Pixar and Disney, I would say this would be pretty unlikely.
Given that this isn't a given, I would suspect your speculation is a bit premature.

However, there will never be a DTV sequel to NEMO, unless Disney decides to do one without Pixar.
Old 11-09-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
However, there will never be a DTV sequel to NEMO, unless Disney decides to do one without Pixar.
But could they do this without Pixar's consent ? Who owns the copyright ? Im sure Pixar must own the characters, so maybe Disney will having to make Finding Bob, who just happens to look like Nemo

Havent disney done enough damage to their image by releasing 2nd rate sequels to some of their classics ?

Somehow I dont think Brother Bear will keep Disney animation division afloat if Pixar leave.
Old 11-09-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Im glad we can discuss the whole Pixar/ Disney situation. It seems that no one here likes to talk about it at all.
Old 11-09-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yeah, cause Pirates was not a smash hit...

the truth of the matter is when parents see an animated film blindly they trust the disney name. You can't say the same about PIXAR just yet. also you have the marketing that disney in itself holds. with theme parks around the world and a couple of networks to work with you can get word of mouth out really quickly with it opposed to standing on your own.

Then again, we have already had this discussion before..

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 11-09-03 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 08:18 PM

I'm talking animated buddy;-)
Old 11-09-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
yeah, cause Pirates was not a smash hit...

the truth of the matter is when parents see an animated film blindly they trust the disney name. You can't say the same about PIXAR just yet. also you have the marketing that disney in itself holds. with theme parks around the world and a couple of networks to work with you can get word of mouth out really quickly with it opposed to standing on your own.
This is true, but when the trailer for the films come out, its the "from the creators of Toy Story" tagline that grabs peoples attention. If it was the disney name then all the recent Disney animated flicks that failed miserably would have done better.

And when its time to watch the film, you can bet the parents are sitting right beside the kids looking forward to it as much as they are. Im sure many parents will just put on a disney flick and leave the room (especially with the recent offerings ).

Dont get me wrong, I dont dislike disney. Some of their films are awesome, but I cant think of anything since the Lion King that has even remotely made me want to rent one, let alone pay to see in a theatre.
Old 11-09-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

then look above, brother bear is making it's rounds. Lilo and stitch did well. either way, disney can afford to make flops and still profit off them through products from it. Pixar standing alone can't do that.

Much like why Village roadshow and WB teamed up with the Matrix.. it was a risk and at a cost. if it fell on it's face then the studio's pocket would have been hit fairly bad. with this method they aren't. simply put, Pixar can't afford a flop. Look at Sqaure's studio after the flop of Final Fantasy. Sony owns a majority of them now. goes to show you that it's a risk and for a company even the size of pixar right now.. it still can't afford to release a film on it's own. the cost of production, marketing, distribution and so forth is just to much of a hit for a small studio like that to take a hit on. either way, it's a safe bet that that both parties can benefit from pixar staying where they are
Old 11-09-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe they could call it Losing Nemo. He could be all grown up and the movie could focus on his struggles with parenthood and responsibility. Oh, and independence.
Old 11-09-03, 09:04 PM

You tell me...Lets look at the numbers....

Trazan $435,000,000.00
The Emperor's New Groove $89,296,573.00 (US only)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire $186,049,020.00
Lilo And Stitch $245,800,000.00
Treasure Planet $91,800,000.00
TOTAL $1,047,945,593.00

Toy Story $356,800,000.00
Bugs Life $358,000,000.00
Toy Story 2 $485,800,000.00
Monsters Inc $523,100,000.00
Finding Nemo $389,000,000.00
TOTAL $2,112,700,000.00

Disney Needs Pixar, Pixar doesn't need Disney! If they (pixar) re-signs you better believe Disney is going to take a huge hit! The ROI for Pixar is incredible.
Old 11-09-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Marketing and distribution is the responsibility of the studio. To which they would get a small percentage of the Box Office (or a fee). This is what Pixar is trying to make disney agree to.

If Disney dont do it, then you can bet there will be a long line outside of Pixar from studios willing to take Disneys place.

Imagine if Dreamworks were to get both Pixar and PDI in their stable. What a coup for them!!!! I can almost see Katzenberg rubbing his hands in anticipation now
Old 11-09-03, 09:11 PM

I can't wait to see what happens. Dreamworks would love to get there hands on Pixar. I do feel Disney will bite the bullet and agree to Pixars terms, would be foolish if they didn't.
Old 11-09-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by White Knight
Disney Needs Pixar

That's already been said.

Pixar doesn't need Disney!
Says who? So Pixar doesn't need the marketing and product placement in theme parks around the world. Nor do they need the distribution and that pretty little disney logo that will bring in folks the same as a Lucasfilm logo brings in fan boys..

this has been discussed many times in many differen't "screw disney, pixar will own all on it's own" threads.

the bottom line is at this point pixar can't make it on it's own and suffer the hit of a flop nor the cost of production, marketing, distribution all on it's own.

They both need each other. simple as that. the real question I ask all those who say pixar should go on their own is this.. What has disney done in the past to hold back pixar?
Old 11-09-03, 09:49 PM

Why Disney? They don't NEED Disney.
Old 11-09-03, 10:11 PM

With Disney, they already have the toy distrubution deals done, hours of promotion on the Disney Channel, a channel their projected audience will be watching, and the Disney logo moms and dads want to see to ensure their kids will be watching a good, wholesome movie. If Pixar leaves Disney, they lose out on the toy deals and promotions on the Disney Channel. Sooner or later, "From the creators of Toy Story and Monsters Inc." will be able to ensure the kids will see a wholesome movie.
Old 11-09-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
While I was watching the end of Monsters Inc. again tonite [wanted to show my girlfriend Nemo's cameo], I thought of something...

IF, for the sake of argument, Pixar breaks away from Disney...will their movies be the same? I ask this because every single Pixar movie seems to have heart. It's obvious that these movies are labours of love and aren't the usual Hollywood production line drek.

If they decide to self distribute, etc, etc...would they be more inclined to think twice about the way they do movies? Would marketing concern come into play? Would it become more about the bottom line instead of creativity?
Old 11-10-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They studio would have to do a lot more work then just focus on the story of heart. They would have to assign a lot of workers to stress out marketing and so forth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.