Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy XI, anyone play?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Fantasy XI, anyone play?

Anyone playing Final Fantasy XI? what do you think of it? what character are you playing as?
i'm a level 7 warrior in fenril

Last edited by ejw1224; 11-09-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 04:51 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

ahh, you mean FFXI?
Old 11-10-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-11-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Everyone is making a big deal out of the World Passes when it's not really an issue. I was able to get on the Ifrit server along with my brother and to RL friends...no problem.

The game so far is great! Lots to do, great graphics, sound and the job system provides lots of flexibilty and customization. You can change your job at anytime in the game and being able to have a sub job gives you more skills, spells etc. Of course choosing your sub job is key because you want it to compliment your main job as well. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase....hats off to Square! I've already cancelled my DAoC account.
Old 11-11-03, 11:11 PM

Well, Penny Arcade seemed to have changed their minds about FFXI. Perhaps a retraction to that cartoon is in order?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-11-12

"We finally started playing Final Fantasy XI on Sunday, and let me tell you that it felt good. We took a break midday, and still consumed by enthusiasm I scraped message boards and the like for answers to my searing questions. This is the good part, the best part perhaps of the Massive experience. New game mechanisms spread out into the obscured distance, each time I log in struck by some peculiar newness. A man rides by the river on a Chocobo. Our party of three is eradicated by a creature we have dubbed The Omega Rabbit. A tall elf runs at top speed toward the city, pursued by two mushrooms."
Old 11-12-03, 01:36 PM

Does anyone know how long FF XI will be supported? I'm only playing through FFX right now, and I'd like to try XI, but it won't be for quite a while.
Old 11-12-03, 05:40 PM

I picked it up today but I might return it. I really didnt pay that much attention to the requirements (stupid me)

it says ATI Radeon 9000 or higher required.
I have the 7500 (64MB)

anyone know if it will run or will it just poop out on me?
Old 11-13-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by squidget
I picked it up today but I might return it. I really didnt pay that much attention to the requirements (stupid me)

it says ATI Radeon 9000 or higher required.
I have the 7500 (64MB)

anyone know if it will run or will it just poop out on me?
Look around online. You can find a free benchmark that tests how well FFXI will run on your system at different settings (I think I got it at IGN, but I'm not sure anymore).

Edit: You can download the benchmark here--it is specific for FF XI: http://downloads.ign.com/objects/605/605977.html

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-13-03 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hopefully you didn't open the box because the game will not run unless you meet the requirements especially the video card. Had a friend who didn't read the label and had an older ATI chipset like you do and the game would not load.....what sucks is that he couldn't take it back because he already opened it, installed it, and registered the keys
Old 11-13-03, 06:53 PM

Ginwen,
Thanks for the link, I'll try that when I get home to see if its worth it.

Setzer,
No, I didn't open the box, just in case. I'm going to try the benchmark test to see if its worth it.
Old 11-13-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How is it looking, im hearing that some people are already leaving because you need to group go gain exp, but if you group with someone 2-3 levels higher or lower, it screws up the exp. The problem is everyone is on server with Japanese who got the game earlier so are all too strong to group with newbies.

I might play eventually (when I quite Everquest) but only if they give us North American servers.
Old 11-13-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man.. I felt bad paying $8.99 for the one extra month I played PSO.. I'd feel real bad paying $12 knowing damn well I wouldn't get that much out of it a month. I'd have to be out of work to play one of these games again.
Old 11-15-03, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Man.. I felt bad paying $8.99 for the one extra month I played PSO.. I'd feel real bad paying $12 knowing damn well I wouldn't get that much out of it a month. I'd have to be out of work to play one of these games again.
That's kind of what I what I was thinking. I wouldn't have the time to justify it, but I'd still like to give it a try.
Old 11-15-03, 05:45 PM

Hmmm you had to pay monthly for PSO? Or is that just the GameCube version you have to pay for? Speaking of, I wonder if the Dreamcast servers are still up...

Anyhow more than one MMORPG at a time is enough for me.