Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last film to open in wide release in 2nd place or worse, then finish 1st ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the last film to open in wide release in 2nd place or worse, then finish 1st ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the jangled subject line. Lets see if I can get this right.

With the importence of opening weekend being everything these days, what's the last film to open in wide release, and finish in 2nd or worse place, and then rally to get the top spot in a subsquent week?

The last film I remember doing it at any point was Titanic in 1998 I suppose. If memory serves, "The Man in the Iron Mask" broke it's number one streak one week weekend, but then a weekend or 2 later, Titanic went back on another streak of #1 finishes.

And a sidebar question, when exactly did the opening weekend become so important to all films, and why does Hollywood emphasize it so much? Don't they see themselves playing target practice on their feet with such strategies?
Old 11-09-03, 02:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know "There's Something About Mary" did it for sure... it didn't hit #1 until its 8th week. More recently, "Finding Nemo" opened in 1st, fell to 2nd in week two, and climbed back to number 1 in week three.
Old 11-09-03, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the Ring did it last October. It opened to 15 million or so and 2nd place, and then earned more money to take 1st the following weekend.
Old 11-09-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: What's the last film to open in wide release in 2nd place or worse, then finish 1st ?

Originally posted by The Nature Boy

The last film I remember doing it at any point was Titanic in 1998 I suppose. If memory serves, "The Man in the Iron Mask" broke it's number one streak one week weekend, but then a weekend or 2 later, Titanic went back on another streak of #1 finishes.
I don't think you are right about Titanic either.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=titanic.htm
Old 11-09-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: What's the last film to open in wide release in 2nd place or worse, then finish 1st ?

Originally posted by Palaver
I don't think you are right about Titanic either.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=titanic.htm
You are correct, this was the weekend I was referring to:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=1998&wknd=11&p=.htm

I guess those projections changed slightly after the fact, but I remember the talk of the time being only Leo could beat Leo.
Old 11-09-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's Something about Mary holds the record for longest climb to the top, however My Big Fat Greek Wedding ALMOST topped it last year. Last September, it had a chance to beat out Swimfan and climb to the top in its 21st weekend of release. While it did beat it on Saturday, Swimfan had the higher Friday gross, that pushed it over the top for the weekend. My Big Fat Greek Wedding never spent a weekend at the top
Old 11-09-03, 01:32 PM
lxl

A Fished Called Wanda: reach #1 on its 10th week (released on 7/15/88, #1 on 9/16/88). It still holds the record.
Old 11-09-03, 03:40 PM

the others?

sixth sense?