Reload this Page >

Andy Griffith Reunion: Back To Mayberry, Nov 11th

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-07-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBS is airing this reunion special on Tuesday @8PM. I just read about this today. I hadn't heard about this until today and I'm glad I didn't miss it. This won't be like an actual episode ala Return to Mayberry (1986) but will feature many of the cast members even Ron Howard looking back on the show.

From CBS: http://www.cbs.com/specials/andy_griffith/

On a replica of the original courthouse set, original series stars Andy Griffith (Sheriff Andy Taylor), Ron Howard (Opie Taylor), Don Knotts (Deputy Barney Fife) and Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) reminisce about their days on the show and relive the life, the love and the laughter of TV's favorite small town. Their memories are matched to vintage film clips from the original series.

Other highlights include hilarious scenes featuring all four cast members as well as Mayberry regulars Aunt Bee Taylor, played by Francis Bavier, with whom Andy and Opie lived. Also remembered and seen are town drunk Otis Campbell, played by Hal Smith, Floyd Lawson, played by Howard McNear and Ernest T. Bass, played by Howard T. Morris. Andy and Barney's girlfriends Helen, played by Aneta Corsaut, and Thelma Lou, played by Betty Lynn are also included.

Can't wait!
Old 11-08-03, 12:05 AM

I'm looking forward to this special. Andy, Don and Jim are starting to get some years on them. Glad they were able to take part in this before something happened to either of the three.

Now, back to my dream of official season-by-season DVD releases for the Andy Griffith Show. Hopefully one day...
Old 11-09-03, 12:24 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I love the show so much, but it makes me sad to see Don Knotts so old. Seems like TV Land had a reunion or retrospective show awhile back as well with Goober, Andy and Opie.
Old 11-09-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait for Tuesday...will probably have to tape it and watch later in the evening. When is this show going to finally get the treatment it deserves in relation to the dvd format?
Old 11-09-03, 09:37 PM

I'd sure like to know. The 16 public domain episodes that float around on DVD just aren't fitting for such a great series!

I got a fever... and the only prescription is season releases of The Andy Griffith Show on DVD!
Old 11-10-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Interesting. They just had Andy over in Cary for a statue unveiling a couple of weeks ago. I think that was pretty big news locally.
Old 11-11-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to agree with the rest of you, this show needs some better representation on DVD. With 249 episodes I can see why the compilations are all that have been offered but with such a great show it doesn't matter, I'd buy them all.
Old 11-11-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The special was done very well and I'm glad I saw it. I've seen a bunch of reunions/marathons on TBS over the years and this was classier with the set of the courthouse. A great show with great characters and great people behind it all.

I too would love a DVD set but I'm not sure if that's possible. I believe Ted Turner bought all of the episodes or VIACOM did, which I think he owns.

What is aired these days tends to cut the little funny segment at the beginning and ends of the show since they usually weren't integral to the plot. This works better for the larger amounts of commercials aired now vs. then.

It's a crime to lose those since they were often hilarious/poignant. I remember reading years ago that as they were cut no one bothered to save what was taken out. Hopefully this is not true. Shortsighted shitheads.

When I first got a VCR back in 1985 the first thing I did was spend months taping every episode. This was before they cut the beginning and ending bits out. I've had several Andy Griffith Show fans ask if I could dub them. Obviously this would take way too long.
Old 11-12-03, 08:07 AM

Speaking of trimming TAGS down for television... TV Land, for the most part, will run the epilogues at the end of each episode. They're the only station I've ever known to do this in my lifetime (I'm 22). That's great, but the downside is, they trim out some other stuff, which at times, is classic material.

*Going into nerd mode*
I've been capturing every episode onto my PC, and attempting to reassemble them to full length as best I can. I've got probably close to 200 of the 249 captured so far. There's about a backlog of 20 episodes waiting on my Dish PVR to trasfer over yet.

Probably about the time I finish this momentous task, they will announce an official DVD release! :-)
Old 11-12-03, 01:52 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
I love the show so much, but it makes me sad to see Don Knotts so old.
Have to say, I really got a kick out of seeing him last night, old or not. There were several little flashes there that prove the Barn' we all know and love is still very much with us.
Old 11-12-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's kinda cool how such a "wholesome" show is so widely appreciated. I think one of the reason was because there were some good writers and it was a funny and well-written show.

It's interesting though... that nowadays, any show that attempts to be family-oriented generally comes off as cheesy (see: Full House).

Either that or the show decides to go from it's family show tone to a soap opera (see: 7th Heaven).
Old 11-12-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The Cosby Show and Andy Griffith were two of the most popular sitcoms, ever. And both were "wholesome." Not in a cheesy way, but in a no cussing, no violence, no emphasis on sex and popularity way.
Old 11-12-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad I caught this last night...and apparently nearly 22,000,000 others enjoyed it right along with us all.

I'm a lifelong TAGS fan (will be 32 in Feb) and never tire of watching the Mayberry Gang. My wife and I were talking last night about shows like this and The Honeymooners. They were funny and had characters like Barney Fife and Ralph Cramden that could have you in tears in a matter of seconds. Shows like Friends have never ever seemed funny to me, yet throw on an episode of TAGS and I'm lauging in a few minutes.

Seinfeld and The Cosby Show were the last true Sitcoms that had that type of effect on me. I'd glady shell out the dough required to own this series.

As a side note, I'm curious to know how many of the 249 episodes were filmed: 1) in Color and 2) sans Don Knotts?

Last edited by indianajdp; 11-12-03 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think what was so good (and still is) is that the show was just naturally funny without that being the the entire goal. Today you've got shows that the comedy seems so forced and prepackaged. Scold me if you must but today the only comparible show to Andy Griffith is King of The Hill.
Old 11-12-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by indianajdp
As a side note, I'm curious to know how many of the 249 episodes were filmed: 1) in Color and 2) sans Don Knotts?
I didn't count them but here's the info...

http://www.mayberry.com/tagsrwc/wbmu...e/ep_guide.htm
Old 11-12-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by indianajdp

The first five seasons were black and white (159 episodes). Don Knotts left after the fifth season. The hardcore fans tend to dismiss the color episodes since Barney left, Floyd's roll was diminished due to health and the characters of Emmett the Fix-It-Man and Howard Sprague were added.

Don Knotts left due to a misunderstanding. Andy Griffith decided at the beginning of the fifth season (I think that was the time) that it would be his last year so he could try movies and go out with the show still strong. He found the movie offers not so good and a strong financial offer by the network made him decide to stay on a few more years.

Knotts didn't hear this in time and had already signed a movie contract which started with "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken". This film was written by some AGshow writers and resembled the Haunted House episode w/Gomer Pyle. Aunt Bea's best friend and Otis Campbell are also in the film. Otis played a drunk!

Knotts returned twice for guest episodes and won Emmy's for each appearance (again as my memory serves).
Old 11-12-03, 10:21 PM

In conjunction with the Grade-A DVD releases of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Dick Van Dyke Show, we need TAGS on DVD in season boxed installments. This show is simply too good to be DVD-less for much longer.

"Here at The Rock, we have three main rules. ... Rule #1: Obey All Rules!"

Last edited by davidvp; 11-12-03 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 10:23 PM

Slightly off-topic, but......

BTW...If anybody cares, I've heard (via Image Ent.) that the final 3 seasons of The Dick Van Dyke Show will be released on: Feb. 24, April 27, and June 29.
Old 11-13-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by davidvp
Slightly off-topic, but......

BTW...If anybody cares, I've heard (via Image Ent.) that the final 3 seasons of The Dick Van Dyke Show will be released on: Feb. 24, April 27, and June 29.
Cool! Guess sales must be good if they're pumping them out that fast.
Old 11-13-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never watch too much between 8-9pm but I sat down Tuesday and watched a great reunion show. It is a shame only four of the original cast could make the actual show(maybe that was planned?) but it sure was good seeing the four that made it. Andy Griffith truly loved the show along with the actors he shared it with...especially Ronnie Howard.
Old 11-13-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they decided to keep it to the four people that were the main principals that were still alive. The only other regular would have been George "Goober" Lindsey, but he was the replacement for Jim "Gomer" Nabors.