Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Korn "Take A Look In The Mirror" out 11/25/03

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

"Take a Look in the Mirror," has been unveiled. The 13-track set, due Nov. 25 via Epic, opens with the single "Right Now," which is No. 23 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. Other tracks include "Play Me" featuring rapper Nas, "Did My Time" (which appeared in the summer film "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life") and the seven-minute closer "When Will This End."

Limited editions of "Take a Look in the Mirror" will be bundled with a bonus DVD, featuring 30 minutes of content such as "Korn Kut Up" (a mix of the group's music videos), an alternate video for "Right Now" directed by Nathan Cox, a live version of "Here To Stay" and a behind-the-scenes footage of Korn's 2002 Untouchables tour.

Here is the "Take a Look in the Mirror" track list:

"Right Now"
"Break Some Off"
"Counting on Me"
"Here It Comes Again"
"Deep Inside"
"Did My Time"
"Everything I've Known"
"Play Me" (featuring Nas)
"Alive"
"Let's Do This Now"
"I'm Done Album"
"Ya'll Want a Single"
"When Will This End"

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 11-07-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, do i have to buy the single of right now to hear the metallica one cover?
Old 11-08-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hopefully It'll still be there as a Bonus Track.
Old 11-11-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn's New 'Look'

While Korn's 2002 album, "Untouchables," earned the hard rock outfit a Grammy Award for best metal performance, the experimental set drew more than the usual share of ire from critics.

But bassist Fieldy takes it in stride. "I think every record we've ever put out, there has always been bad criticism," he says. "Most of those people that are criticizing, they can't even tune a guitar. We can't please everybody."

"This is probably the heaviest record we've put out," Fieldy says of the sixth Korn record, "Take a Look in the Mirror," which bows Nov. 25 on Immortal/Epic. "I think everybody's parents will hate it, so we did a good job," he adds with certainty.

"Mirror" will contain a dozen or more songs, and it will be packaged with a DVD of unseen Korn footage.

The album's lead single, "Did My Time," hinted at the continuing fervor for the band. In August, it was the highest-debuting title this year on Billboard's Hot 100 -- at No. 38 -- that was not related to "American Idol." The track, which scored top-20 airplay at modern and mainstream rock radio, also appeared on the soundtrack to "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider-The Cradle of Life."

But, of course, the question of how many fans will buy instead of burn "Mirror" bears consideration.

Korn's last four albums debuted in the top-3 of The Billboard 200. "Life Is Peachy" arrived at No. 3 and has sold 1.8 million units in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. "Follow the Leader" and "Issues" debuted at No. 1 and scanned 3.6 million and 3.2 million, respectively. "Untouchables" debuted at No. 2 and has moved 1.4 million units. Debut album "Korn" has sold 2.1 million.

Vocalist Jonathan Davis and Fieldy believe the sales for "Untouchables" were hurt when the album was leaked to the Internet four months prior to its release.

The band had freely passed material around while recording and made copies for friends. This time, "nobody got a copy, no one," Fieldy says. "As soon as we were done listening to the CD, we destroyed it. We didn't go online with it. I think that's how [the leak] happened the last time." Recording at Davis' home studio also provided a more secure environment.

"Mirror" is Korn's first self-produced project. Davis has a separate production credit because he, as Fieldy puts it, "did all the no-glory work" in bringing the set together.

Davis says, "I thought it was time for us to do it. Each producer brings out something different in the band, but this time was something exciting and new, and nobody knows Korn better than we know ourselves."

As on previous albums, Davis continued to draw from his personal demons when writing the lyrics. Of current single "Right Now" he says, "That was me waking up pissed off at everyone. I think everyone's just had those days where you f***ing hate people. I've just had those days where everything is going f***ing wrong.

"The last three albums, [my writing has] come from a more depressed, hurt place," he continues. "It's like I'm just f***ing mad now, just tired of all this f***ed-up s*** happening to me."

"Right Now," the album's second single, is No. 22 and No. 21 on Billboard's Modern and Mainstream Rock Tracks charts, respectively.

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 11-12-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by gerrythedon
While Korn's 2002 album, "Untouchables," earned the hard rock outfit a Grammy Award for best metal performance, the experimental set drew more than the usual share of ire from critics.
Was this really that dumped on when it was released? I don't remember. I bought it when it came out and gave it a couple of listens, but just rediscovered it a few days ago. "Here To Stay" is one of my favorite Korn songs. Yeah, it's a departure, but "Alone I Break" is an excellent song. And I love "Beat It Upright" (even though I'm not into the whole S&M thing).

I ordered their "Deuce" DVD from DDD yesterday. Heard it's really good, but you need patience to navigate through it.

To get back on topic, I'm glad they're doing a song with Nas. Sure, the whole rap-metal genre is played out, but Korn kick-started the whole thing and they remain the best at pulling it off. I've missed the hip-hop element from their last couple of albums.

Last edited by DJLinus; 11-12-03 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-12-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant wait to see em the 18th in chicago....it'll be the 11th time
Old 11-12-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"I think everybody's parents will hate it, so we did a good job," he adds with certainty
I love the fact that they aim for the young group of angst-ridden teens, instead of trying to actually mature as a band.
Old 11-18-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the release got pushed up to nov 21st

Korn.com
Old 11-18-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Korn's New 'Look'

"Most of those people that are criticizing, they can't even tune a guitar. "
At least you have something in common with your critics
Old 11-18-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This may be a dumb question, but will this be available for sale price at BB, CC, etc. on Friday? Or will the sale price go in effect on Sunday?

(I don't even know if it will be on sale for its first week, but considering that this is a major release I imagine it will be.)
Old 11-19-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's gonna be $9.99 at BB [next tuesday], so It should be that on friday too.
Old 11-20-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
damn, do i have to buy the single of right now to hear the metallica one cover?
No, the Metallica cover of "One" is hidden at the end of the last track "When Will This End"

the whole track runs about 13 minutes with some blank space in between.
Old 11-21-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, anyone pick this up today? I think I'll head out to BB right now and get it.
Old 11-21-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's gonna be $9.99 at BB [next tuesday], so It should be that on friday too.
Just came back from BB and it is full price. The employee there said that it had something to do with the sale price in the computer not going into effect yada yada yada...

Maybe that's corporate policy or maybe he was just too lazy to check. Either way, I can wait a few days to save $4. I have other new stuff to tide me over.
Old 11-22-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJLinus
Just came back from BB and it is full price. The employee there said that it had something to do with the sale price in the computer not going into effect yada yada yada...

Maybe that's corporate policy or maybe he was just too lazy to check. Either way, I can wait a few days to save $4. I have other new stuff to tide me over.
yeah same B.S. happened here with same explanation. They were like since it was moved [date], blah blah, blah. I said well 50, 'Tallica, & G-unit were also moved and they were $9.99 on their new date.. So then I went to Target by my house and they had not received it. I'll just wait 'till tuesday [no problem]
Old 11-23-03, 11:35 AM

Saw two versions at Best Buy last night. Jewel case with the CD only, and a digipak with CD and bonus DVD. Both were stickered at $13.99, but will both be $9.99 on tuesday?
Old 11-24-03, 06:58 PM

i also paid the full $13.99 for the DVD+CD set. I Just figured that if you got the dvd and cd set it was that much. But than i saw the ad and it said that sale prices for new releases dont start until tuesday. I must say, this cd is awesome. I thought i would hate the colab with Nas, but it is one of my fav tracks on the disk. The final song isnt 7 minutes, its just over 3 and a half minutes... the cover of ONE comes in at 9:52 (alot of fast forwarding) and all it is, is a simple recording of their live performance from the MTV ICON METALLICA thing. Incomplete without the Guitar Solo. Bad Ass non the less! Havnt watched the DVD yet, but will in time. I def recommend this set to any Korn fans out there, or anyone who used to like Korn.. it is an awesome album
Old 11-25-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Biguns
I def recommend this set to any Korn fans out there, or anyone who used to like Korn.. it is an awesome album
i definitely agree...this album is very good. some of my favorite tracks are "counting on me" and "yall want a single". the nas song is very good too. i wasnt too sure how good this disc would be since the last couple korn albums werent all that impressive.they were good, but nothing to get all excited about. i really like this new album though. it really grows on ya after listening to it a few times throughout
Old 11-25-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by friendly DVD collector
Saw two versions at Best Buy last night. Jewel case with the CD only, and a digipak with CD and bonus DVD. Both were stickered at $13.99, but will both be $9.99 on tuesday?
They both were $9.99 at BB. I just picked up the one with the DVD, but haven't listened to it yet.
Old 11-25-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got the digi-pack [] dvd version for $9.99 at BB. Wow! this album sounds real good to me.

One included, One Live version .