Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me with a line from Kill Bill? (Japanese)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to learn how to say "Oren-Ishii, you and I have unfinished business," in Japanese, just like in the movie, so I can scream it out at random moments. Don't ask, I'm easily entertained like that.

I don't have a copy, if you know what I mean (I've seen it in the theater once a week since its release), so can anyone help me out with this?
Old 11-06-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am korean (but don't know a word) and i think you would pernounce it just the way its spelled. owen eshe
Old 11-06-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think he meant translate it into Japanese. I'm taking it, but we haven't learned that line yet.
Old 11-07-03, 02:03 AM
lxl

Maybe you should find a Japanese to do it for you, instead of "just like in the movie"... my Japanese friend told me Uma's Japanese is really poor and he felt it funny to see that (during the last showdown scene) Lucy and Uma spoke something that probably nobody could understand if there's no subtitle.
Old 11-07-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lxl
Maybe you should find a Japanese to do it for you, instead of "just like in the movie"... my Japanese friend told me Uma's Japanese is really poor and he felt it funny to see that (during the last showdown scene) Lucy and Uma spoke something that probably nobody could understand if there's no subtitle.
That's awesome.
Old 11-07-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I emailed my (Japanese) wife at work, and this is what she sent back:
"Oren-Ishii, you and I have unfinished business"

Normally:

Sho-bu (victory or defeat) wa mada (not yet) tsuite inai n da yo. (both Female and Male)

Sho-bu wa mada tsuite inai n da ze. (Male)

In this case, I would recommend more like yakuza & samurai way in the following:

Oren-Ishii, Kisama to Ore wa, mada keri ga tsuite ine-n daze! (Male)

Oren-Ishii, Kisama to Ore wa, mada keri ga tsuite inai n da yo. (Female)

Kisama (you)
To (and)
Ore ( I )
Mada (not yet)
Keri wo tsukeru (settle)
Inai (no)
To guide you in pronunciation - "i" is pronounced as a long e; "a" is pronounced as "ah"; "e" is pronounced as long a; o and u are the same as English.

Maybe someone who has the movie already (ahem) can figure out exactly which version they use.

As you can see, you would have to alter the film version in order to speak in the masculine voice...or the Japanese people will be snickering at you.
Old 11-07-03, 03:20 PM

So the words are different according to what gender is saying it, interesting!
Old 11-07-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by tor_greg
So the words are different according to what gender is saying it, interesting!
Tell me about it!

Saw this last week with my wife (Japanese) here in Japan. Lucy and Uma"s Japanese needed more practice, the other one (half-Japanese half-French, can't remember her name) was good. I loved the movie, the wife thought it was written by an Otaku for Otakus.
Old 11-07-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by rexinnih
Saw this last week with my wife (Japanese) here in Japan. Lucy and Uma"s Japanese needed more practice, the other one (half-Japanese half-French, can't remember her name) was good.
That was Julie Dreyfus playing Sophie Fatale. She's fluent in Japanese, French, and English. She's a bit of a celebrity in Japan, and even helped out with the casting of the film in Japan.

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_20...interview.html
Old 11-07-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rexinnih
Tell me about it!

Saw this last week with my wife (Japanese) here in Japan. Lucy and Uma"s Japanese needed more practice, the other one (half-Japanese half-French, can't remember her name) was good. I loved the movie, the wife thought it was written by an Otaku for Otakus.
you lucky man. I'm so jelous, you all got to see the crazy 88 scene in color. how does it look?
Old 11-07-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
Oren-Ishii, Kisama to Ore wa, mada keri ga tsuite ine-n daze! (Male)
This would get the most laughs. Using "kisama" is sort of like calling the other person a bastard. Ore is the "I" that is used when you want to sound like a tough guy.
Old 11-07-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool how many people have japanese wives here (me too) ... i also happen to have a errr ... copy .. and i will play that scene to my loved one again and ask her how much she can confirm / tweak the above ...
Old 11-07-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, so , I played that scene again and this is what my wife could hear: This is how Uma says it in the movie:
O-ren Ishii, sho-bu wa mada tsuicha inai yo!!

interested in an audio clip ???

Last edited by caipirina; 11-07-03 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you guys with Japanese-speaking wives....next time you're in a fight with your wife, call her a yariman.

And then duck (as in dodge...not the bird).

Old 11-08-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When my wife says "duck" it means one of us has made a duck like sound .. by breaking wind

Will ask her what yariman means ..
Old 11-08-03, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by caipirina
Ok, so , I played that scene again and this is what my wife could hear: This is how Uma says it in the movie:
O-ren Ishii, sho-bu wa mada tsuicha inai yo!!

interested in an audio clip ???
I would love an audio clip of that, send me an email! tor_greg @ yahoo.com
Old 11-08-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you got mail
Old 11-08-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
you lucky man. I'm so jelous, you all got to see the crazy 88 scene in color. how does it look?
I didn't really know about the black and white until I did a bit of reading on these boards. After seeing the scene in color, I couldn't imagine it in B&W. There was a lot of blood and such but not more than I've seen before. Still was a great action seen.
Old 11-08-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rex: since you watched the japanese release, maybe you recall another detail that is supposed to be different ... in the end, when

Spoiler:
Bride questions the lady in the trunk, she says she would cut of more ... rumor has it, the japanese version shows what was cut off, do you recall ?

I am also curious about the use of dubbing / subtitles ... in case of Uma e.g. was that all subtitled when she spoke english ? or dubbed (by Uma herself, to keep the 'quality' of her japanese consistent?)

thanks

P
Old 11-09-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Help me with a line from Kill Bill? (Japanese)

Originally posted by tor_greg
I'd like to learn how to say "Oren-Ishii, you and I have unfinished business," in Japanese, just like in the movie, so I can scream it out at random moments. Don't ask, I'm easily entertained like that.
I've seen the movie twice, and both times I was kinda turned on, when Umma said that.

[damn, did I just admit that]
Old 11-09-03, 01:47 PM
lxl

Originally posted by caipirina
rex: since you watched the japanese release, maybe you recall another detail that is supposed to be different ... in the end, when

Spoiler:
Bride questions the lady in the trunk, she says she would cut of more ... rumor has it, the japanese version shows what was cut off, do you recall ?

The answer is in the (much longer) thread: The Kill Bill Vol 1 Thread Part 2:

Originally posted by cultshock
Hi everyone, quick report: I saw Kill Bill in Japan yesterday. IMO, this film does work better in this more violent version (or maybe I'm just a gorehound at heart ). Anyway, here are the major differences:

Spoiler:
- yes, as you already know, the entire fight scene at the end is in colour. It works better for me, really. Some of the action that was confusing to me in high contrast black and white is easier to see in colour. When Uma plucks the eyeball out of one of the Crazy 88s, instead of the scene switching to b&w, she shoves the eyeball into another yakuzas mouth and continues the fight. It seems like a bit more hacked off limbs are visible too. And at the end of the scene, there is a close up of Uma's eyes, but no eyeblink that signals the change back to colour in the US version

- the anime scene has a bit more violence, most notably, after O-ren kills the yakuza boss, there is a shot of his split open torso, showing his intestines inside

-in the GoGo flashback in the bar, when she slices open the sleazy guy, you dont just see blood, but also his intestines falling to the floor

-and of course there is the Sophie Fatale scene in the trunk. After the Bride talks to her, she yells "Give me your other arm", she then grabs Sophies remaining arm and chops it off at the elbow. So when you see her rolling down the hill, you do see an arm because she still has half of it.

There are probably other small differences but this is mostly what I noticed. Also, the Japanese sequences did not have English subtitles, so this might be an issue for some in the future, if importing the eventual Japanese DVD (but who knows, it may have English subs).

Anyway, it was great to see this version. Gotta go, I can explain more things when I come back from my trip if anyone has questions.

Last edited by lxl; 11-09-03 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks lxl ... i have been on that thread a bit, but it became too lengthy ...

now i am still wondering about the dub question ..

oh .. i had a chance to peek at the workprint ... biggest difference that I found was that they start rolling credits before the BIG last question to Sofie ... and then suddenly there is movie again ... (and that question)

i was wondering for a second how i would like that movie withoput that cliff hanger ...

Last edited by caipirina; 11-09-03 at 05:20 PM.