Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville - 11/05/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smallville - 11/05/03

So do I gather that since there isn't a thread yet, that people are losing interest in this show?

It was an okay show. But the most interesting thing was the reveal at the end.
Spoiler:
Jor-El met Clarks grandfather in 1961 and Clark has come to the conclusion, via flashbacks, that Jor-El sent Clark to live with the Kents, it wasn't a random act

So that is an interesting twist. We shall see where that leads the story.

Lana wasn't convincing in her 1961 role for some reason.

Chris
Old 11-06-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow.

2:15a is when this thread was started

"Why, I remember a time, back in the day, when these threads would be started at least two days before the air date."

Well, I haven't seen it yet. Not in any rush to either..

Oh well.
Old 11-06-03, 04:53 AM

Missed the show...would someone be willing to provide a brief re-cap?
Old 11-06-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, my interest in this show is going downhill too. This season really isn't all that exciting so far.
Old 11-06-03, 07:02 AM

This was, IMHO, a very good episode. Going into it, I thought I'd hate it.

For Spooky & others, Lana's great uncle (who was married to her mother's aunt) is lying sick in prison where he's been incarcerated for the last 41 years for the murder of Lana's great aunt. He proclaims his innocence to Lana, saying he saw a drifter run from the scene of the crime. In one of those amazing turns of television coincedence, the aunt looked amazingly like Lana and the police sketch of the drifter looks a lot like Clark! Through Kryptonian cave machinations, Clark begins to have visions of the past, seeing what transpired between Lana's aunt and the drifter Joe and uses these visions to solve the 41 year old crime.

Now for the spoilers!
Spoiler:
The cave subplot has been going on for a year or two and I was always uncomfortable about the idea of there being Kryptonians on earth prior to Clark but I think the episode handled it really well. One might think it unlikely that Joe would run into Kents, Langs & Luthors on a quick trip to earth, but then again it is SMALLville (and just televisions as well). I loved when Joe flew, which I thought was especially cool. I wish they had written a seen where Clark was a bit excited about this new knowledge and tried unsucessfully to take off in one of his cornfields. Maybe with Pete making fun of him for falling. I do think the show would benefit from Clark telling Lana his secret. Then I'd have Clark, Lana & Pete work together to solve mysteries/help people as is the normal plot of the show. Hell, I'd let Chloe join the group, this way Lana & Pete would have to cover for Clark so the writers could still throw in the subterfuge about Clark's powers. It would allow more screen time for Pete & Chloe. I want more Pete!!! I found Joe's trip to earth & his "friends" coming back to get him" very slightly reminiscent of Predator 2. In a much less violent way. Finally, I must add that Lana looked hot in 1961!!!!
Old 11-06-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked how they juxtaposed Clark's family backstory (about Jor-el being sent to earth, and coming across Hiram Kent and that inadvertent contact being the impetus for Jor-el to send his only son to be raised by a kind man's offspring), and Lex's suspicion about not only his grandfather's lot in life, but whether or not Lionel had anything to do with killing his parents in Suicide Slum all those years ago.

Once again, we see how these 2 characters' pasts catch up to them in the present and into the future.

Oh, yeah, we also get rid of CSM (Cigarette Smoking Man) as mayor of Smallville too.
Old 11-06-03, 08:06 AM

I enjoyed this edisode, mostly because I am fascinated with time. So I guess Jonathon Kent is 42 years old.
Old 11-06-03, 08:27 AM

It was a nice twist on the traditional superman story. But from this does it seem that Jor-el can be a good guy? Maybe all the things that he's been doing to Clark are just tests to make sure he's prepared for anything that can happen?
Old 11-06-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Groan.

Just last week I was hoping they'd take a break from all the episodes about the townfolk finding out about Clark. I should be more careful what I wish for.

I am totally against JorEl having been on Earth, then keeping an alien journal of it inside a necklace, only to hide it in a magic cave. I definitely encourage the writers to stray from the mythology if they wish, but can't they come up with more interesting ways than that?

Cancer Man trying to act like he was seeing a ghost was pretty pathetic. Tell-tale heart indeed.

And next week is Bad Lana week? Great.

Last thing - I was reading an interview with Ira Glass from NPR in The Onion, and they were talking about Smallville:

IG: .... Are you watching Smallville?

O: No. Is it good?

IG: No. I have to say, this season I haven't gotten on the chain, because last season it moved so slowly. Occasionally, you get a show like that as an adult, where you find that you do want to watch each week, even though you don't like it. I never realized it until this conversation, but for me, Smallville is that show. While I'm watching it, I'm constantly saying "Get to something interesting! Be good!" My girlfriend watches it because she thinks the whole point of the show is this homoerotic thing that the writers are doing with Lex and Clark. They're constantly staring into each other's eyes and giving each other looks. She's watching basically for the hot boy-on-boy action. Then she'll say, "Why are you watching?" and my actual answer is an answer that a 12-year-old would give, which is "He's got superpowers! He can fly!" Even as I'm saying it, I realize it's the truth, but what's wrong with me?

O: There was a profile of Quentin Tarantino in The New Yorker a few weeks back, where he was talking about a certain kind of film that's not good on any concrete level, but there's something compelling about it that draws you to it.

IG: I have to say, though, why do you come back if it's not satisfying? Smallville is like a Domino's pizza. While you're eating, you're thinking, "This is good, and it reminds me of pizza, but there's not enough flavor in each bite." That's the feeling you have the entire time with Smallville—that it's just about to be good, but it never is.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about Smallville. A few weeks ago I said something along the lines of "It's not a terrible show, I just wish it was a BETTER show", and I stand by it.
Old 11-06-03, 08:38 AM

Oh one other thing - Chloe looked smokin' during the scene in the Torch office. She's been working on those abs I think.
Old 11-06-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
2003 or 1961 .. Kristin looked hot

Funny how this episode is leading Clark down a path to becoming a reporter. The clues he's able to track down now, how he has more interest in doing so. I'm wishing they stick to more of a running storyline than to keep straying off the path.
Old 11-06-03, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by kiddk1
I enjoyed this edisode, mostly because I am fascinated with time. So I guess Jonathon Kent is 42 years old.
Yeah, he's only a couple of months younger than me. I think it was set in June 1961 and I was born in April.

Chris
Old 11-06-03, 09:25 AM

Smallville is like a Domino's pizza. While you're eating, you're thinking, "This is good, and it reminds me of pizza, but there's not enough flavor in each bite." That's the feeling you have the entire time with Smallville—that it's just about to be good, but it never is.
LOL, that sums up the show perfectly.

I missed the beginning of this episode so I didn't catch how Jor-El ended up on Earth or how long he had been there. Its an interesting idea for an episode, but I'm not sure if the writers understand the doors they open when they do stuff like this. This episode makes it seem like the Kryptonians were a pretty advanced spacefaring race, where a father can send his son off to some undeveloped planet to teach him a lesson. If this is the case, one has to wonder why there aren't a lot more Kryptonians floating around the galaxy, especially on planets with yellow suns (where they would be considered gods).

Also, I thought from last week's episode that the Smallville team was going to go with the solar battery idea as the source of Clark's powers. Jor-El just arrived on the planet and yet he can fly. Maybe he was pretty drained afterwards... I'm not sure.

Last edited by Astro; 11-06-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Astro
I missed the beginning of this episode so I didn't catch how Jor-El ended up on Earth or how long he had been there.
I don't think they explained it. It took almost the whole hour for Clark to figure out Joe = JorEl, some reporter he is. They didn't explain WHY JorEl was on Earth, or HOW he was able to fly, etc.
Old 11-06-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have to admit that I judged this show based upon the previews and I skipped most of it and only caught bits and pieces of it. Guess I will have to catch a rerun.
Old 11-06-03, 10:04 AM

Liked it. Pretty much a stand alone episode again though. Except for the ending, but they could easily disregard it in future episodes and pretend like that subject has already been addressed. Next week's episode looks lame, but hopefully it won't be. Lana always looks amazing, and Chloe for the first time I found attractive (nice shirt in the office!).
Old 11-06-03, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by B.A.hist
I have to admit that I judged this show based upon the previews and I skipped most of it and only caught bits and pieces of it. Guess I will have to catch a rerun.

Don't they repeat these episodes on the next Sunday evening?

Chris
Old 11-06-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not this season.
Old 11-06-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
Don't they repeat these episodes on the next Sunday evening?

Chris
No, I think they are showing the first season and they call it Smallville - Beginnings, like they started doing w/ Gilmore Girls last year.
Old 11-06-03, 01:20 PM

Excellent episode. I like how they tie in the 1961 story to Clark's own background. The mystery surrounding Clark deepens.
Old 11-06-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
Oh one other thing - Chloe looked smokin' during the scene in the Torch office. She's been working on those abs I think.
Yes, she did! I think Chloe is attractive but I really want to see her with longer hair. At least her hair isn't as crazy as it was towards the beginning of this season.

I actually enjoyed this episode. When I saw the previews I was expecting complete and utter crap, but I was pleasantly surprised. Tying the past with the present makes the storyline a bit more interesting. I think Clark needs to find out more about his family and race. Jor-El flying gave me hope for Clark to try, but he didn't; oh well, maybe one of these episodes.
Old 11-06-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
I don't think they explained it. It took almost the whole hour for Clark to figure out Joe = JorEl, some reporter he is. They didn't explain WHY JorEl was on Earth, or HOW he was able to fly, etc.
Didn't Jor-El tell Lana's aunt that Kryptonians send their young to other planets for a 'rite of passage' thing? Earth was JorEl's.

I guess Jor-El was older than Clark is now so maybe his power had developed enough where he could fly.
Old 11-06-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The way I see it... Clark still has no idea about Krypton and these ties to the past (about Jor-El visiting and possibly purposefully sending Kal-El to the Kents) will have an impact when he finds out his planet no longer exists. Nothing so far has touched on Krypton having been destroyed. I think maybe that will be a surprise that Clark finds out towards the end of the season (or next).

As for Jor-El's powers. I'm sure he had some book.. something to guide him as far as what abilities he'd have under the influence of the our sun. Clark doesn't and I equate him to Ralph, the Greatest American Hero, who lost his instruction manual and found out more by trial and error.
Old 11-06-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
The way I see it... Clark still has no idea about Krypton and these ties to the past (about Jor-El visiting and possibly purposefully sending Kal-El to the Kents) will have an impact when he finds out his planet no longer exists. Nothing so far has touched on Krypton having been destroyed. I think maybe that will be a surprise that Clark finds out towards the end of the season (or next).
Well, Clark knows he's from Krypton... Christopher Reeve's character told him in "Rosetta" last season. He also found out his name is Kal-El.

Jor-El via the ship also referred to him as the "Last Son" when he went off on his "You must rule Earth" tangent.

As for Jor-El's powers. I'm sure he had some book.. something to guide him as far as what abilities he'd have under the influence of the our sun. Clark doesn't and I equate him to Ralph, the Greatest American Hero, who lost his instruction manual and found out more by trial and error.
I'm not saying Jor-El wouldn't know how to use the powers (thought I guess that's a good point). He shouldn't have the powers. Batteries take time to charge; Clark is just now gaining his super powers. He didn't have them when he arrived.
Old 11-06-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Astro
Well, Clark knows he's from Krypton... Christopher Reeve's character told him in "Rosetta" last season. He also found out his name is Kal-El.
Yes, these things he knows, but the fate of Krypton is not. He doesn't know it's destroyed. Or is it? I think that can play apart. And tho Jor-El may have visited Earth as a rite of passage, I can't see him being sent as a child as young as Clark was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.