Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

MegaTheater 505 DVD Home Theater System?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's HTiB but I've read good things about it. Any opinions?
Old 11-10-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MegaTheater 505 DVD Home Theater System?

Originally posted by buskerdog
It's HTiB but I've read good things about it. Any opinions?
I have learned my lesson and will never buy a HTiB again.

My Panasonic HTiB died, so I thout I would just replace the DVD/Receiver base unit with a JVC system. The problem is most HTiB have 6ohm speakers and "Real" reveivers need to have 8ohm or higher speakers. And the HTiB use Subwoofers that do not need power, so I had to spend money on a new Powered Sub.

If I would have just bought seperate parts for my HT the first time, replacement cost would have been much less and I would saved my self alot of Money the 1st time around (and my system would have been much higher quality).

New JVC = $189 (refurb)
New SUB = $90
New Center, Front and Rear = $230
Total = $509

Old Panasonic HTiB = $360 (Costco)

I am much happier with the new system than the HTiB.

New System:
-DTS
-100watts per channel
-Better video quality with RCA output, my 27inch TV is 9 years old and does not have SVideo or Component
-Switching for all video and sound
-Progressive (will be buying an HDTV the Day after Thanksgiving, Best Buy discount kicks in)
-Much better speakers (100watts vers 40watts per speaker and the highs and lows are much clearer now)
-DTS (I can now say that there is a small difference between DTS and Dobly Digital 5.1. Even if the old system would have had DTS, the speakers never would have allowed me to hear the difference)

When you use a HTiB, make sure what kind of Speakers it is using 6ohm or 8ohm. If it 6ohm, think twice before you buy.
Old 11-10-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, with HTiB you are limited to a max sound on the dvd's you
watch. It can't be amplified beyond a certain amount. I found
this out just last week (and I'm pissed). I'm going to slowly start
to invest in a new system even though my HTiB is only about 4
months old.

Jason
Old 11-10-03, 04:29 PM

Cambridge Soundworks makes good speakers. The weakest link in the MT505 is going to be the integrated receiver/dvd player. The speakers, however, are a notch or two above what you will normally find in an HTIB.

If you are really interested in CSW speakers, look at the MovieWorks 58 which is basically the same cube speakers but better sub than what is in the MT505. You could probably package the speakers with an Onkyo receiver for not much more than the MT505.
Old 11-10-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HTIB=No Good, therefor no Sale, take the advice of the members here. Save your money, buy components
Old 11-10-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm usually against HTIB's too... BUT, with a name like MegaTheater what's not to love? Forget the specs and performance, just think how cool it will sound to tell your friends you're going to go watch your MegaTheater!
Old 11-10-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: MegaTheater 505 DVD Home Theater System?

The generalizations in this thread, I feel, need to be addressed.

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
The problem is most HTiB have 6ohm speakers and "Real" reveivers need to have 8ohm or higher speakers. And the HTiB use Subwoofers that do not need power, so I had to spend money on a new Powered Sub.
Not true. Any "real" receiver will work with 6 ohm speakers. Many entry-level receivers might have a problem with them, however.

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
And the HTiB use Subwoofers that do not need power, so I had to spend money on a new Powered Sub.
Not all. Plenty of HTiB's include powered subwoofers. This is not to say that these subwoofers are anything special, or even good, or even better than nothing.

Originally posted by jasonbird
Also, with HTiB you are limited to a max sound on the dvd's you
watch. It can't be amplified beyond a certain amount. I found
this out just last week (and I'm pissed).
The same is true of every system. None are unlimited. Room size, speaker efficiency, and how loud you want to play movies/music all play a role in determining whether any system will work for a given situation.

Originally posted by REL77
HTIB=No Good, therefor no Sale
Generalizations suck.

Also, don't assume that everyone has the same priorities.

That being said, Iron_Giant makes fine arguments above for the rewards of spending a bit more on a non-HTiB.

If I were putting together a cheap system, I would buy something like a $180 refurbed Onkyo receiver, any cheap DVD player, and the best 2 main speakers the rest of my budget afforded me. Then I would put more money aside and buy matching rears when I could afford them. Repeat for subwoofer. Repeat for center.

Many people would want surround sound right away.

Many people would be satisfied with cheap(er) speakers.

Many people want something easy to put together, and don't care if it comes at the expense of sound quality.

The most important things:

* Know your priorities. Don't let anybody tell you what you want.
* Figure out what's "out there." What will a little more $ get me? A lot more $?
* Use your ears. Go to friends' houses. Go to small retail shops where you can actually audition gear.

I can't (ok, I can) believe how excited people on this forum get when given an opportunity to look down their nose at gear that's less expensive than theirs. Then again, it's been hard not to mention that my bedroom system is probably better than...

Whoops.
Old 11-10-03, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: MegaTheater 505 DVD Home Theater System?

Originally posted by stevevt
I can't (ok, I can) believe how excited people on this forum get when given an opportunity to look down their nose at gear that's less expensive than theirs. Then again, it's been hard not to mention that my bedroom system is probably better than...

Whoops.
I didn't notice anyone doing that here, just sharing opinions and experiences.

I suspect that HTIBs are adequate for those that use them within their capabilities. Most likely those with bad experiences are the ones that really wanted a more "powerful" system to begin with and were pushing the HTIB to its limits.
Old 11-10-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The same is true of every system. None are unlimited. Room size, speaker efficiency, and how loud you want to play movies/music all play a role in determining whether any system will work for a given situation.
Sorry for generalizing. I bought the HTiB because it was DTS and
Progresive Scan. It plays CD media and the Satallite audio very
strong. But when listening to dvd's it's a lot softer. EX: The CD,
Turner, and Satallite is (nice and) loud on volume 10...Is the
same strength as a DVD on setting 40 (maxed). This system is
a Philips 500 watt system.

A call to Philips customer support and they said, "sorry, that's the
way it is."

Jason
Old 11-11-03, 02:33 PM

I have a cheap RCA 2350..

It's only 300 watts total power, 50 to each speaker and 50 to the sub.

My ONLY complaint is that it doesn't have DTS. I have friends that have much more expensive setups, and as long as the volume isn't pushed to any incredible amount, my cheap home theater is comparable to theirs.

Alot of people rag on HTiB because they aren't good enough for the audiophiles in the world. Big deal. That's not who they're intended for.
Old 11-11-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a Sony HTB years ago and the receiver crapped out on me after a year or so. The thing that sinks this current system is that, as good as the speakers may be, I read that the speakers all plug into the sub and not the receiver, which is just plain silly.
Old 11-11-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also wouldn't overgeneralize wrt HTiB's. (Although I woulda told busker to avoid the SOny in any case! Sorry you got screwed by the big S!)

For example, perennial favorites are the Onkyo HTiB's, such as their 6.1 system for $500, and their 5.1 system for $400. Both have an excellent high-current receiver plus really good-sounding and beefy speakers (that plug into the receiver!) and a decent 150W powered sub. Just add a DVD player and you're good to go, and probably won't feel the need to upgrade for a while either.

I've heard the 5.1 and it cranks nicely, with good detailed sound.
Old 11-11-03, 03:57 PM

Hate to be dumb here, but a powered sub is just one that is powered by the receiver and not an external source, yes?

And this is a favorable thing, yes?
Old 11-11-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Hate to be dumb here, but a powered sub is just one that is powered by the receiver and not an external source, yes?

And this is a favorable thing, yes?
A powered sub has a built-in amplifier. Easiest way to distinguish one of these is that it'd have a power cord.

Having an amplifier on the sub relieves the receiver from having another channel to amplify.