Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EyeToy and Karaoke Revolution are here! Impressions?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GatorDeb, I'm picking it up today after work, so, contrary to what you said in another thread, I don't think it was delayed. Karaoke Revolution also will be in today...it's $60 for the game and the headset. There will apparantly be a game-only release (I guess you can ue the SOCOM headset) coming sometime later, as well as add-on discs with additional songs.

I'll post my impressions this evening, feel free to post them if you got them.

FS
Old 11-05-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, I think I will go pick up Karaoke Revolution!
Old 11-05-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Karaoke Revolution is coming out? I went by Gamestop yesterday and they said it wouldn't be out until January 3. Another friend said that he asked at Babbages (pretty much the same store) and they said January 4. I thought this was strange since EGM just reviewed the game in this months mag. Does anyone know the actual release date for this game?
Old 11-05-03, 06:06 PM

How is Kara out? It wasn't supposed to be out until mid December.

Discount SOCOM and game only Kara are the way to go, $70 for two games and a headset is great, and you'll be ready for FFX1, Socom2, and American Idol

By the way, anyone know ANYTHING about American Idol?

From what I heard, it is a karaoke, life sim game, and DDR game in one, with a decent sized solution of licensed songs for play.
Old 11-05-03, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shilex
Karaoke Revolution is coming out? I went by Gamestop yesterday and they said it wouldn't be out until January 3. Another friend said that he asked at Babbages (pretty much the same store) and they said January 4. I thought this was strange since EGM just reviewed the game in this months mag. Does anyone know the actual release date for this game?
That's the game-only version. The version coming out this week is the game and mike combo. I went to pick up the Eye Toy and they didn't yet have KR in, but said it should be in this week. Both ebgames.com and gamestop.com say the same thing.

FS
Old 11-05-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Let us know once you have them in your hands I'm pretty sure both are delayed.
Old 11-05-03, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The Karoke thingy came out today, my store received a few of those.
Flash, shouldn't you start 8 more Eye toy threads?
Old 11-05-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eye Toy is definately not delayed, got it in my hands. It's fun but you won't be playing it too much alone unless you want to test games out or get a workout. It's infinitely more fun when you play with people, even if the other people only watch. Beware of using the Eye Toy near open doors, people passing by will question your sanity.
Old 11-06-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
Let us know once you have them in your hands I'm pretty sure both are delayed.
lol don't tell me you're buying them too?
Old 11-06-03, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kaze0
Eye Toy is definately not delayed, got it in my hands. It's fun but you won't be playing it too much alone unless you want to test games out or get a workout. It's infinitely more fun when you play with people, even if the other people only watch. Beware of using the Eye Toy near open doors, people passing by will question your sanity.
Gizmo, one thread is enough, don't be a hater!

Yep, agreed, this is definitely a party game...although there are a couple games (like the fireworks one) that can be enjoyable alone. I'm definitely impressed with the interactivity...the reaction between your movements and the on screen image is excellent. Although, you do need to make sure the room you are playing in is well-lit. And some of the effect in the playroom are really cool...especially that jittery-movement effect that's popular in movies now like The Ring.

FS
Old 11-06-03, 07:47 AM
Banned

One more thing on Karaoke Revolution, make sure you get this:

When I was in Best Buy, there is also a big yellow box in the video games section, which comes with 3 DVD's and a headset that can ALSO be hooked up to a PS2...this is NOT Karaoke Revolution...it's basically just discs with music and words, and a headset, and I believe it was selling for $40. It's not the same as Karaoke Revolution.

FS
Old 11-07-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got Karaoke Revolution last night. Very very fun game. My voice has absolutely no range, hence I suck at it. But a friend of mine is rpetty damn good at singing at she basically consistantly gets high scores. Even if you suck it is still fun, a definate great party game if you can get people playing.

Go get it if you want a fun game.
Old 11-07-03, 07:32 AM
Banned

I agree with Karaoke Revolution...very fun game, again another great party game. There's already an option in the game for add-on discs, so I guess we'll see those if the game is a success.

FS
Old 11-07-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Toys R Us doesn't have any idea when they're getting them in. Sigh.
Old 11-07-03, 09:03 AM

ARe the songs/music in Karaoke Rev original or are they recomposed versions by a third party? Kinda like someone said the Beatles' songs for the Xbox Music MIxer isn't really the orig Beatles' songs, but recomposed...

Just curious.

Thong
Old 11-07-03, 12:18 PM
Banned

3rd party but i heard they've spot on. Licencing fees for the "originals" would have been too expensive. But the instrumentals here are pretty much identical. besides, you're singing, so you don't hear the original voice anyways. I heard the quality is excellent so don't worry.
Old 11-07-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EYE TOY ... BIG QUESTION !!!

I know there are 10 - 12 mini games come w/ eye toy but wondering any up coming game that you eye toy camera ??

Thanks
Old 11-07-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by UKingdom
3rd party but i heard they've spot on. Licencing fees for the "originals" would have been too expensive. But the instrumentals here are pretty much identical. besides, you're singing, so you don't hear the original voice anyways. I heard the quality is excellent so don't worry.
This game is so much fun! And yes, they are 3d party. So far most of the songs have been dead on. Only thing that is hard to get used to is holding the notes. Holding notes increases your score at the end of a lot of phrases. The other thing is if you have a serious vibrato (I have a decent singing voice but can't resist the urge to imitate Cher), you can see the sound indicator going in and out.. it is just that sensitive. Ihave already won with 2 characters in Single Player Mode and Arcade mode but I used songs that I was familiar with. If you want real fun, play arcade mode and turn the Last Song is Random to On. That makes things VERY interesting. :-) Now time to pull out the eye toy! (that sounded nasty but you know what I meant!)

Sam
Old 11-07-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Karaoke Revolution is great! Played it last night with a couple of friends. Now, we aren't great singers but we know pitch so it was fun trying to get the right pitch on songs we didn't know how to sing. I kinda wish there were more options on the game. It's pretty limited in gameplay. Would've been great to be able to hook up two mics and sing duets.

Only major problem I've had is if I turn up my A/V receiver volume up too high, it interferes with the mic and I get high pitched squeals. Kinda sucks I can't play the game at a really loud volume (or maybe it's better this way)

Has anyone tried the hard setting yet? I'm wondering what's different about it.
Old 11-08-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eyetoy is only $43.84 at wal-mart btw
Old 11-08-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shilex
Karaoke Revolution is great! Played it last night with a couple of friends. Now, we aren't great singers but we know pitch so it was fun trying to get the right pitch on songs we didn't know how to sing. I kinda wish there were more options on the game. It's pretty limited in gameplay. Would've been great to be able to hook up two mics and sing duets.

Only major problem I've had is if I turn up my A/V receiver volume up too high, it interferes with the mic and I get high pitched squeals. Kinda sucks I can't play the game at a really loud volume (or maybe it's better this way)

Has anyone tried the hard setting yet? I'm wondering what's different about it.
In Hard Mode it just takes longer to fill the meter. I also forgot to mention that there are vocals to listen to. You can adjust their volume in the options menu. THere is also a professional mode but I have no idea how to find it.

Sam

Last edited by HotThang; 11-09-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok did you all pay $70 + tax for Karaoke Revolution? Got both today at TRU (and they are getting a big shipment of new games next week ).

I paid ~$52 after tax for KR because of the B2G1F discount.

I've only tried the "classic" Karaoke version and it does what it advertises. I like it better than the XBOX Music Mixer. I thought I would hate the headset but I actually like it better than the XMM Microphone (I wonder if I can use it with Yahoo Messenger to talk to people).

Will try the Eye Toy tomorrow. Have to work soon tonight. I'll also try the other modes for KR.
Old 11-08-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bought an eye toy on Thursday, and played with it a bit that night. Had a little trouble with lighting my living room enough to make it work perfectly, but it was a ton of fun once I got going.

I originally got this for my fiancee since she played so much GTA she hurt her wrist, but I landed up playing with it the most so far.

Just be ready to jump around like an idiot...
Old 11-09-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The EyeToy is a BLAST. Well worth it for $32 after tax (TRU B2G1F).

I'll be pricematching KR to get $10 back, making it $42 after tax

BTW when they warn you to beware of objects near you, don't think it can't happen to you. I almost whacked my laptop to the floor.
Old 11-09-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<-- Slammed hand into ceiling fan

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.