Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone else pick up those Bogart titles?

Fred C. Dobbs
11-04-03, 06:31 PM
Anyone else pick up those Bogie discs that came out today? I bought To Have and Have Not on 10/27, Dark Passage and High Sierra yesterday, and picked up They Drive by Night today. I just watched the extras and checked over the transfer. They all look very good and have some good extras, especially To Have and Have Not. Dark Passage contains my personal favorite Looney Toons cartoon, Slick Hare. Overall, they are all well worth the purchase.

Kinyo
11-04-03, 07:15 PM
I haven't got them yet but I plan to in the next couple of days.

chente
11-04-03, 07:20 PM
I'll pick up To Have and Have Not and maybe High Sierra but I'm not sure about the others.

Jericho
11-04-03, 08:47 PM
Just got mine from DVDEmpire today. Got the first three you mentioned, To Have and Have Not, High Sierra, and Dark Passage. Can't wait to give them a spin this weekend

gutwrencher
11-04-03, 08:53 PM
yup...got them all today at Best Buy. I forgot to order them and was a bit worried that BB would not have them. they had many copies of each! getting ready to viddy High Sierra and Dark Passage tonight in a twin-bill. tomorrow night...the other two.:thumbsup:

I've seen all before...To Have and Have Not being a personal fav. great...GREAT dialogue.:drool:

EPKJ
11-04-03, 09:02 PM
I would love to buy them, but I have hit my budget for this pay period. Alas, they shall have to wait.

SilverScreen
11-04-03, 09:19 PM
I've been waiting on these for quite some time...

That translates to a "Hell Yes !!"

Thanks for the info on them as well.

J.P.V.
11-04-03, 09:22 PM
I bought To Have and Have Not and They Drive By Night today, will pick up the other 2 later this week.

jough
11-04-03, 11:42 PM
To Have and Have Not is a major new release that's been extensively restored.

Of course many here have it. :)

greatjedi
11-05-03, 12:12 AM
I wanted desperately to pick them up today, but I'm just a little short on funds :( Hopefully I'll be ordering them in a couple more weeks.

NavinJohnson
11-05-03, 08:48 AM
I plan on it... just busy moving, pulling my hair out.

shill66
11-05-03, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by greatjedi
I wanted desperately to pick them up today, but I'm just a little short on funds
Similarly, I went to DDD with the intent of buying them (and only them), and instead left with a copy of the Mondo Cane box set. When I got back to work, I had buyer's remorse and might even go back today to return the box.

devilpants
11-05-03, 11:18 AM
I'll be picking up Dark Passage today. Which DVD has the cartoon where Bogie wants to order rabbit for "Baby"? That's my favorite Bugs cartoon.

gutwrencher
11-05-03, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by shill66
When I got back to work, I had buyer's remorse and might even go back today to return the box.

ouch. such a pity. as much as I love the Bogie titles....I'd keep the box since it will be harder to come by later. the others you can always pick up another day.

garolo
11-05-03, 02:14 PM
I can't find any current thread in STL forum for the Bogey titles. I'm considering getting High Sierra and Dark Passage. If any one wants love of those either add your address to them in the STL database or post a message in the STL forum.

Edit: I found the thread in STL. I'll be ordering over the next few days, unless I find a better price elsewhere.

jough
11-05-03, 02:56 PM
I can't find the box listed anywhere (i.e. in DVD Price Search).

Any deals on this bad-boy?

garolo
11-05-03, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by jough
I can't find the box listed anywhere (i.e. in DVD Price Search).

Any deals on this bad-boy?

There is no box for these Bogies, that I know of. They are sold separately. That doesn't mean that it won't be boxed eventually.

jough
11-05-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by garolo
There is no box for these Bogies, that I know of. They are sold separately. That doesn't mean that it won't be boxed eventually.

Then what's THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TG48S

???

gutwrencher
11-05-03, 04:14 PM
but with the titles released yesterday...only one is in that box. the other 3 are individual only...as far as I know. that is a great box though.:D

jough
11-05-03, 04:21 PM
I'd get the box if I didn't already have two of those titles (Casablanca and Sierra Madre).

Oh well.

gutwrencher
11-05-03, 04:26 PM
I'd get the box if I didn't already have two of those titles (Casablanca and Sierra Madre).

Oh well.

yeah...it's a great box set for those new to Bogart. great titles!!

jough
11-05-03, 04:33 PM
Good price for those five films, anyway.

garolo
11-05-03, 05:38 PM
Then what's THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TG48S

???
There is only one "new" bogie there as others have said. Now why would any fan of Bogart not already have one or more of those previously released discs? And it really isn't such a good bargain. 3 of those discs can be had for $14 each. Casablanca for 12.50 (at Costco) and Treasure for $18 or so. Thats $72.50 without really shopping around. So there really is no incentive for anyone who already has any one of them to buy the set.

Anway, a box set should logically be the 4 discs released the same day.

Randy810
11-05-03, 07:57 PM
YES!!
Dark Passage and To Have And Have not are 2 of my favorites (Big Sleep the third).

:banana: :beer:

SideShow
11-05-03, 08:08 PM
Actually gonna rent all of these, loooove Bogart and Becall's chemistry :)

jough
11-06-03, 01:25 AM
Well, you can get the boxed set for ~$60 from DDD. So it IS cheaper to get the box if you don' t have any of the discs.

I'm just saying.

devilpants
11-06-03, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by devilpants
I'll be picking up Dark Passage today. Which DVD has the cartoon where Bogie wants to order rabbit for "Baby"? That's my favorite Bugs cartoon.

I guess the answer is yes -smile- Just got the Dark Passage disc last night, which was beautiful. Kudos to Warners! :thumbsup: The trailer for the picture was great, too.

eXcentris
11-06-03, 12:19 PM
Ordered all 4 from DVDsoon, I should have them in a month or two. :)

jough
11-06-03, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by eXcentris
Ordered all 4 from DVDsoon, I should have them in a month or two. :)

They should change the name of their company to "DVD Eventually".

Classic Films
11-06-03, 12:28 PM
I got them all from Amazon with STL. $12.59 each. All have arrived
and I will watching them this weekend .

Kinyo
11-06-03, 07:18 PM
I'd get the box set but I already have Casablanca

garolo
11-07-03, 08:34 AM
Well, you can get the boxed set for ~$60 from DDD. So it IS cheaper to get the box if you don' t have any of the discs.

I'm just saying.

$60 for the 5 makes it more appealing but I, for one, already had the 4 previously released titles.

I don't like this trend of mixing in new releases with older ones making them into box sets. I suppose it would be worse if the newer release was unavailable outside of the set. I also don't understand why they didn't release a box of the 4 that were released together on 4 November.

EPKJ
11-07-03, 09:21 AM
"Then what's THIS:"

Well it certainly is not a boxed set of the current releases mentioned in this thread, is it?

JamesBrian
11-07-03, 02:00 PM
Dark Passage always makes me cry when I see how few cars are on the Golden Gate Bridge that I must drive across twice a day under much different conditions.

gutwrencher
11-07-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by garolo

I don't like this trend of mixing in new releases with older ones making them into box sets.

it's for the folks who have very little to no Bogart titles in the collection. most people dont have huge collections or the luxury of having everything they want it as soon as they want it. like I said...great set for starter collections...the crowd I'd imagine they are targeting.

SilverScreen
11-08-03, 03:41 PM
Well I just finished my Boghart-fest this weekend (watched two last night and the other two today)....

The transfers / DVD's are all excellent...

And I have one (obviously biased) comment...

God !! do I love these movies !

garolo
11-08-03, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by gutwrencher
it's for the folks who have very little to no Bogart titles in the collection. most people dont have huge collections or the luxury of having everything they want it as soon as they want it. like I said...great set for starter collections...the crowd I'd imagine they are targeting.

Yes, but all of these titles except To Have and Have Not have been released in other box sets. The "original" Bogie Box: Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Key Largo, Casablanca and the Warner Legends that had TotSM. My point is that WB should have logically boxed the Nov 4 releases instead of reconfiguring yet another box with some titles people will likely have. Is this a subtle attempt to get some folks to "double dip"? It would be like MGM reconfiguring Bond sets 2 and 3 to include some from set 1.

bmello
11-08-03, 09:58 PM
Anyone know how much these cost at Borders B&M? I'm hoping they are $14.99 which would be $11.99 after the 20% off coupon coming up.

jough
11-08-03, 10:55 PM
I saw "To Have and Have Not" at Borders for the full $19.99. I guess I'll order it online.

garolo
11-09-03, 08:23 AM
I saw "To Have and Have Not" at Borders for the full $19.99. I guess I'll order it online.
Borders typically sells their low markup dvds at list. Some even above list (Life of Brian: CC is 40.99!!! :jawdrop: )

The good thing about this particular Borders coupon is that it can be combined with sale items.

gutwrencher
11-09-03, 11:18 AM
Borders is not a cheap place for film lovers. on the plus side...they make my "stocking the library" chore, an easy thing to do. I order 10 or 20 titles at once....then just wait for them all to come in. I love it when I can actually order anything I want...without paying for it up front. for me....it's essential. this and the awesome service and treatment I get, makes paying a little more just fine. I'd rather pay a little more from someone who treats me with customer respect. this is an individual case though....never put yerself in my shoes.:D

Walter Neff
11-09-03, 11:32 AM
Don't judge gutwrencher until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Then you'll be a mile away -- and have his shoes!

ernestrp
11-09-03, 11:34 AM
I bought all the recently released WB Bogart titles this weekend at Borders. They were 14.99 and with the current 15% off coupon made them 12.74 each. I was going to wait until next weekend to get them and use the 20% off coupon but they only had 1 copy of each title.

bmello
11-09-03, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ernestrp
I bought all the recently released WB Bogart titles this weekend at Borders. They were 14.99 and with the current 15% off coupon made them 12.74 each. I was going to wait until next weekend to get them and use the 20% off coupon but they only had 1 copy of each title.

Thanks! I purchased "The Big Sleep" the last time they had a 20% off coupon and it was marked $14.99.

Fred C. Dobbs
11-09-03, 12:01 PM
So far I have only watched They Drive by Night. I really enjoyed the film, but it fell apart halfway through. If the film kept the same exciting pace for the second half, I would award the film ****1/2 stars. I thought Bogie and Ann Sheridan were the best in the film. Ida Lupino's court breakdown was great, but I don't think she is as attractive as Sheridan. I am not a big fan of George Raft and the film becomes completley unbelievable after the first half. It was like two totally different films. Overall, the film is **** (of *****) and i'm glad I picked up the DVD.

Oopium
11-09-03, 03:31 PM
They should change the name of their company to "DVD Eventually".

Or DVD Never. I'm still waiting on my Back to the Future Trilogy PREORDER!!

gutwrencher
11-09-03, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Ida Lupino's court breakdown was great, but I don't think she is as attractive as Sheridan.

I think Sheridan looks hot as hell...but I have really fallen for Ida. not so much in looks....but I adore her when shes on screen. she has a unique style that sparks my fire. I only wish I had more films with her. it was my first time seeing They Drive By Night....it grew on me the deeper I got into it. yeah.......it might have dragged a bit after Bogart lost his arm...but for me, only if I was expecting to see more Bogart on screen. also, Raft is always better as a gangsta thug. then I had to go back and re-watch The Big Knife with Lupino:D.