Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

how does the x-box version of gta3/vice city compare to ps2 version?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ps2 version and was wondering if the graphics and game design were really that much better to be worth the upgrade. And is it two discs or one disc? and how do you indeed play your own music in the game.
Old 11-03-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Well, the graphics are somewhat improved, but I seriously doubt there's any reason to re-buy unless you're just dying to replay both games with your own music or you're about to get rid of your PS2. There's gotta be a better way to spend $50 if you already have that game.
Old 11-03-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. i don't own a PS2, but played through both versions of the game on my friends PS2. I've been going back and forth with myself about getting this for my Xbox, but ultimately I decided that i will pass, because the improvements are probably not enough to warrent a replay of both games. It seems like with the exclusivity agreement done with Sony, that the next GTA game will be released for the Xbox, I'll drop 50 bones on that when it comes out. Right now i need to save for brand new games that are about to hit for both the Xbox and my CUBE.
Old 11-03-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Originally posted by huh?
I... It seems like with the exclusivity agreement done with Sony, that the next GTA game will be released for the Xbox, I'll drop 50 bones on that when it comes out....
Wrong-o there. Sony agreed to end its exclusivity on GTA 3and GTA VC early so that they could line up an exclusive deal on GTA 4 in return (a very smart move on their part). So no GTA 4 on the Xbox in the forseeable future.
Old 11-03-03, 10:46 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd never rebuy or replay a game just for slightly better graphics.

This is simply for X-box owners that haven't played the games on the PS2 or PC.
Old 11-03-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Wrong-o there. Sony agreed to end its exclusivity on GTA 3and GTA VC early so that they could line up an exclusive deal on GTA 4 in return (a very smart move on their part). So no GTA 4 on the Xbox in the forseeable future.
hmmm, didn't know that. Well, I guess I'll just have to play it over at my friends house or buy a PS2 when its 99 bucks. either way, i've pretty much talked myself out of buying this for the xbox.
Old 11-03-03, 12:20 PM

Two words: 720p baby!!!
Old 11-03-03, 01:11 PM

Sounds like there are better controls, also.
Old 11-03-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

720p got dumped I'm afraid.

I own both games on the PS2 and PC and guess what? I'm buying it on the Xbox as well.

$50 for both games, HDTV (at least 480p) in game DD5.1 and an amazingly replayable game (the goals are never the same twice) = easy buy for me.
Old 11-03-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I'd buy it again for the Xbox (I have it for PC and used to have it on PS2) but only if it hit like $29 or something in that range
Old 11-03-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
better graphics
higher resolution
better textures
better lighting and effects
better sound - 5.1
custom soundtracks
no load times
far fewer bugs
both games in one package
2 for the price of 1
getting to use the xbox controller (a plus for me)

that's enough reasons for me to be all over this.
Old 11-03-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When did 720p get dumped?

Is Vice City still in 16:9?
Old 11-04-03, 12:26 AM

And Outpost still has it for $39.99

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3817627

Grand Theft Auto Double-Pack: The Xbox Collection

Take Two:
Outpost #: 3817627
The award-winning Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City together in one collectible release, both for the first time on the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft.

I've never played this game, so this is perfect for me, 2 games for the price of less than 1!

Chris
Old 11-05-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it one or 2 discs?
Old 11-05-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the PS2 double pack and ti came in 2 discs so i'd assume the same for the Xbox version.
Old 11-05-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

somebody had posted pics somewhere, I dont have the link, but each game had their own regular green xbox case and they both were packaged in like a silver slipcase thingy, looks neat. Ordered mine from outpost 39.99+5 something shipping=45 something
Old 11-05-03, 12:13 PM

It's backordered at Outpost, but that's okay. I can wait, if it means saving $10.

Chris
Old 11-05-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I saw the PS2 double pack and ti came in 2 discs so i'd assume the same for the Xbox version.
That shouldn't mean anything.

They could have easily put both games on one DVD.
I understand the PS2 being 2 games because of all the inventory they still have.

The point is moot because I have the game and it is on 2 discs for the Xbox.
Old 11-05-03, 03:12 PM

Xbox version is two disc in two cases.

Thread has a few pics of the control layout and cases.
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/...sage.id=246705

This thread has the cases still in the slip cover. Couple of posts down shows both discs in the cases.
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/...sage.id=246722
Old 11-06-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I beat the PC version of GTA3 (never played VC) a while back, but I'm really glad I picked this up. Very fast load times, no slow downs (like my 4 1/2 year old PC) -- especially in the big rampages -- rockets near the bridge and grenades near the hospital, better draw distance, etc. I may even take my time and not print up a map of package locations this time.

Driving also seems to handle better with the S controller than the keyboard. I'm doing much better comparatively speaking with vigilante/hospital/taxi missions than previously.

My main issues so far -- I can't figure out how to "drive-by" -- is it a skill you have to unlock in a mission? I can't figure out any button combo for it yet.

Also, I like being able to target individual folks, but I prefer controlling a target reticle so I can aim at vehicles, etc. The M4 has one (at least when playing the diablo rampage), but I can't get it with the pistol, uzi or shotgun -- it worked great on PC though. Anyone figured out how to get that working?

thanks.
Old 11-06-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamespot gives it 9.6 and Editors' Choice = Review

Yeah, the packaging is really sweet -- nice Double DVD style pack with 2 separate cases.
Old 11-07-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tuan,

To do a drive by:

As you drive by your target, turn your right thumbstick towards it (left or right) to change the view then, press in the same thumbstick (it is a button also of course) to shoot.

This was the hardest to get used to but I'm loving this control scheme much more than the PS2 version.
Old 11-07-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Doug Schiller
Tuan,

To do a drive by:

As you drive by your target, turn your right thumbstick towards it (left or right) to change the view then, press in the same thumbstick (it is a button also of course) to shoot.

This was the hardest to get used to but I'm loving this control scheme much more than the PS2 version.
thanks.

I was talking to a friend and yep, doesn't seem like there's free aiming for any of the guns other than the M-16/AK/rocket launchers. Oh well.
Old 11-09-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, now that I've made it out of Portland, a few more random comments about the xbox version.

The driving handles beautifully. It's a lot easier to win races and turn tight corners here than it ever was on my PC. It's also great having no instances of slowdown -- even during grenade rampages and the like.

However -- I'm really noticing it now -- not being able to free target is screwing me over when I have helicopters shooting me down. Normally it wouldn't be a problem to take one down with the AK but it won't auto-target anything at all other than a person -- that I can tell.

Also, interestingly (but not as frustrating) -- I don't know if this was in the PS2 version, but it was definitely in the PC version -- it doesn't seem possible to blow off individual limbs or heads with the sniper rifle, or automatic weapons. Kinda a letdown at times.

Still, having a lot of fun -- everything is beautifully smooth and the flamethrower looks absolutely gorgeous.
Old 11-09-03, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

Also, interestingly (but not as frustrating) -- I don't know if this was in the PS2 version, but it was definitely in the PC version -- it doesn't seem possible to blow off individual limbs or heads with the sniper rifle, or automatic weapons. Kinda a letdown at times.

GTA:III Xbox Codes - Gameplay Cheats
All codes must be entered while playing.

All directional buttons (up, down, left, right) must be entered using the directional pad, not analog stick.

X, L, B, Down, L, R, Y, Right, L, A
Enables gore (i.e. decapitations and amputations)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/code/468550.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.