Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I don't play video games as much as I used to...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years, I have noticed my intrest in video games seriously waning. Over the years, I have had numerous systems. Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Turbo Grafix 16, Game Boy, Sega Game Gear, Nintendo 64, and PS2. I still have all of these systems. Since purchasing my PS2 in April of 2002, I have only purchased games. GTA 3, GTA: Vice City, Red Faction II, Metal Gear Solid II: Sons of Liberty, WWE Smackdown! JBI, WWE Smackdown! SYM, and WWE Smackdown! HCTP. I like all of these games very much (I always rent before I buy) but I hardly play them anymore. As much as I like Vice City, Red Faction II, and the new Smackdown! game I just picked up, I am wondering how long it will be before I out the system back in the box and start watching movies again.

First and foremost, I am a movie fan. I will always put film before music or video games. I think we all are, since we post at a DVD forum rather than a gaming forum, right? I remember when I was younger, and I wasn't really into films, I would play video games all the time. Some favorites were Goldeneye 007 for N64, WCW/nWo Revenge for N64, and Duck Hunt/Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo. It seems like evry game I rent now is a disapointment. All of the newer Bond games (IMO, Goldeneye is the best video game ever made, and I have not been impressed with any of the installments that have followed) are a bore. Since the advent of DVD I hardly play video games anymore. In the past 3 years I went from a casual film fan to someone who wants to make a career out of it. Video games have taken second fiddle to this. Granted, I am only 16 years old but have I grown out of playing games? Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 11-03-03, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now!
Old 11-03-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As Sir Ian Hogg would say in This Is Spinal Tap, you're interest is becoming "more selective".

You get older, your tastes change. It doesn't mean you like video games any less. It just means that you have other choices now and gaming has probably moved down on the list of them for now. To tell you the truth I don't purchase alot of games either. I rent them and buy some of the "big" releases when they go on sale. At $50 a pop, you can understand why. As far as playing games, about an hour or so a night is enough to feed my habit. Sometimes alot of us don't have the time we used to to play games either. Work, school, family....whatever.

If you want to get into some different games, take a look around for a "sleeper" of a game. Sometimes those will respark your interest.
Old 11-03-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was wondering why we haven't seen you post more often.
Old 11-03-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I don't play video games as much as I used to...

Originally posted by Fred C. Dobbs
Granted, I am only 16 years old but have I grown out of playing games? Does anyone else feel this way?
Yes, we all feel that you've grown out of playing games. Some people are gamers and some people are not, at least not any more.
Old 11-03-03, 09:41 AM

Sheesh!!

From your age losing interest in video games is the least of your problem. I almost thought from your post you were in your late twenties. As you age your interests in different things will peak and wade. No big deal Enjoy your life as a teenager.

If I remember correctly I bottom out for a while, now that I am in my thirties I try to keep a balance on my interests.
Old 11-03-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell, I quit video games completely from about sixth grade until my junior year of high school - N64 came out - needed a Mario fix. I have all the systems now and probably 75 games plus legacy systems DC, NES, etc. and I only play maybe once or twice a week. I am just too busy and when I do have time it may be better to sit and let the wife watch Spongebob or clean the place up. I don't think you realize that as you get older - most of my friends 22-30 - you may love games, but only get to play once a week if that. You keep the system because when you can find time - it is worth every penny to for a few hours escape.
Old 11-03-03, 10:47 AM
Retired

I'll be 25 next week and my interest has waned a lot as well.

I don't think it has anything to do without growing games, it's just the games coming out today aren't as good as the old 2D games IMO. It's not a nostalgia thing either. I still play my SNES and have a blast all the time.
Old 11-03-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I completely stopped playing video games while I was in college, many better things to do. My last few months of school in 1989 my then girlfriend (now wife) made the fatal mistake of buying me a used NES system (which I'd never heard of before). My 4 years of no video games was quickly put to an end and I've owned every major system since then.

Somehow I think she still regrets doing that....
Old 11-03-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by speedyray
Hell, I quit video games completely from about sixth grade until my junior year of high school - N64 came out - needed a Mario fix. I have all the systems now and probably 75 games plus legacy systems DC, NES, etc. and I only play maybe once or twice a week. I am just too busy and when I do have time it may be better to sit and let the wife watch Spongebob or clean the place up. I don't think you realize that as you get older - most of my friends 22-30 - you may love games, but only get to play once a week if that. You keep the system because when you can find time - it is worth every penny to for a few hours escape.
I agree... I'm 33 (with a wife who is not into gaming and 2 small kids)and only get small amounts of time to game. I concentrate on one game at a time and try and play it through or until I lose interest.

Just finished D&D Heroes on X-Box (a friend let me borrow it). Got pulled into that one and played late at night instead of sleeping. Taking a little bit of a break, starting to Play some Crimson Skies, to get a handle on single player for it before I get back on Live and get my ass handed to me in it and Mech Assault.

I'd disagree with the original poster about most of us being more into movies. I was originally pulled into this site by the DVD deals, but now hang out in the Video Game forum and check the Hot Deals, but rarely check the DVD deals (missed a few things there lately such as the $5 off BestBuy.com for signing in). I've purchased very few movies lately and watched even fewer. I'd rather play a game. I like this forum not because it is a DVD forum but because the amount of good posts to noise ratio seems very high (especially compared to other gaming forums), and most of the people here post pretty maturely with good information.

That might be an interesting Poll. More into Gaming or movies, etc?

Last edited by sniper308; 11-03-03 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-03-03, 11:08 AM
Retired

I'm definitely more into movies lately than games. But most of my free time is taken up with working out, playing intramural sports, and parties.
Old 11-03-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I enjoy reading and posting about video games and finding great deals more than playing them
Old 11-03-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i played a lot of video games in college. mostly multiplayer. i think GoldenEye and Mario Kart were the most popular. Now that i am getting married, and live with my fiance, i play less. I only spend money on games I consider to be Must haves. I think i spend about 4 hours on weekdays total and another 3 on weekends playing games. I own an Xbox and a GameCube. I also have my N64 and Dreamcast still hooked up as well.
Old 11-03-03, 12:44 PM

Have you thought about changing genre? All the games you listed are action games. Have you thought about getting into RPG's? Rhythm games? Strategy games? Perhaps what you need is something more involving mentally or something more involving physically. And since you are more into movies right now, more cinematic games might appeal to you more [SIlent Hill, Xenosaga, Fatal Frame, Final Fantasy]

I do not play video games like I did when I was 10, but at 18, I play most new RPG's [as they come out] and in between, spend half an hour or an hour per day with a fighting game or a music game.
Old 11-03-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let me tell you that the older you get, the harder it becomes to find times for games with all the stuff you have going on in your life. I'm a full time student in college and I work, sometimes when I have a lot of work or exams I don't play games for awhile but I still find time to kick back and enjoy them. You're only 16 man, enjoy all the time you have now to play games because once you get to college you'll wish you had that time .

Advice: Pick up Viewtiful Joe, its light on the cut-scenes and heavy on the gameplay and fun. It takes place in a movie-themed world (since you like movies) with movie special effects, what more could you ask for .

Quote from the back of the box "Viewtiful Joe will remind you how much fun games are."

No lies. It's the truth.

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-03-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 12:53 PM

In my case I stopped playing console games almost completely in high school, but then in 1999, something called 'Everquest' came out and next thing I knew, I was playing 3-4 hours a day and more on the weekend! I quit and came back multiple times but it made me find a new type of game for me, multiplayer. I very rarely play single player (I do own an Xbox), but I jump on multiplayer and cant stop playing them.
Old 11-03-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Let me tell you that the older you get, the harder it becomes to find times for games with all the stuff you have going on in your life. I'm a full time student in college and I work....
It gets worse...
Old 11-03-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Homer Simpson
It gets worse...
much worse.

After kids, it becomes a trade off of sleep VS gaming.
Old 11-03-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
much worse.

After kids, it becomes a trade off of sleep VS gaming.
MAkE BaABY!!!!

BAbyY make You appreciaTE playing VIDEO GAME

Old 11-03-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First and foremost, I am a movie fan. I will always put film before music or video games. I think we all are, since we post at a DVD forum rather than a gaming forum, right? ....
I'm not a movie fan first. I like movies, sure, but games are my entertainment medium of choice. It took me until I was about 25 to admit that to myself and once I did, I felt much better about sharing my interest with others. I post here because most of the posters are fairly mature and don't do too much console bashing / worship. And I appreciate talking about games with other adults.

As far as your interest in games waning at your age goes, I think that's appropriate. At 16 you should probably be more interested in peers, girls, organizations, etc... Games will be there when you come back.

I also don't have near the time I would like to have to devote to gaming. I would read and hear about so many games that I would want to check out, but I just don't have the time or want and money to allocate to games when I have other responsibilities. I make up for it by saving myself some time and cash and only buying/playing games that are highly recommended by sources I trust, and then by only buying them used.
Old 11-03-03, 11:31 PM
Banned

You're not getting old..the games just suck.
Old 11-04-03, 12:37 AM
Banned

Granted, I am only 16 years old
Old 11-04-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I'm 25 and my interest is same as it was when I was 16, maybe more. I know a guy in his 40's that plays Madden like there is no tomorrow, and still has time for his kids, wife, family etc.

Old 11-04-03, 03:20 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
And then there's The Wife that you gotta deal with ...