Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivale 11/2

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 09:36 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Carnivale 11/2

Plot summary: Samson sends Ben on a road trip to enlist a new attraction, where he encounters a longtime carney rival named Phineas Boffo.

Well, what did y'all think of episode 8? Not as good as last week's, but still quite good.

Lobster girl sure had some wicked claws.
Old 11-03-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really liked it. Some more huge revelations. I think they would've kept some more viewers if they would've let some of this stuff out earlier. I think this was the first time since the pilot that anyone brought up the fact that Ben had broken chains on when they found him. Two months later you pretty much forget about it. They've got things moving along pretty well now though. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Great scenes with Jonesy. I gotta admit I cracked up when Stumpy was telling him about the guy who had a blowout
Old 11-03-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I missed last week, was that when they found out about Ben being an escapee, of just something that was just discussed this week.

I also thought Ben could bring back the gas station guy to fill in for the freak he missed. All in all, good episode!!
Old 11-03-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, let's see:

Justin is the left hand of God that smites down the sinners.

Lodz is an agent of the devil, previously he tried to show Ben the extent of his powers, and to recruit him, but Ben rebuffed him.

Jonesy finally gets some. Some of that scene reminded me of "Crash" for some odd reason.

The "law" will be showing up soon after the guy at the gas station recognized Ben from the "Wanted" posting and really needs the money from the reward.

Sophie's got a good arm when it comes to throwing a baseball.
Old 11-03-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great show. I thought this one did more to move us towards an understanding of the plot than any other episode.
Old 11-03-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jon-w9
I missed last week, was that when they found out about Ben being an escapee, of just something that was just discussed this week.
As far as I remember, the first episode he had broken chains peeking out from his pant leg. I think it was Samson that noticed, but he hired him on anyway. If it was brought up since then they didn't make much of it. Nobody on the show knows that he was convicted of murder except for the guy at the gas station.
Old 11-03-03, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good episode.

The scenes with Brother Justin were great as usual. It looks like he's finally tapping into the power he possesses.

He was able to read what was being written by the psychiatrist from across the room; He also changed what the man had written down too, didn't he?

In the other scene he took control of the nurse to turn on the radio, silenced the yelling madman, and focused everyone's attention on the radio. Pretty cool stuff.

What was the significance of the vision Ben had when he touched that ring? I'm trying to remember what he saw. It looked medieval.
Old 11-03-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably not plot related, but why was Samson marking people as they entered the carnivale? The focused in on one patron in particular..was there a point to this?
Old 11-03-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by jon-w9
Probably not plot related, but why was Samson marking people as they entered the carnivale? The focused in on one patron in particular..was there a point to this?
He's marking the mark (rich fool)

Well, now we know that "management" has a creepy voice.
Old 11-03-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman

The "law" will be showing up soon after the guy at the gas station recognized Ben from the "Wanted" posting and really needs the money from the reward.

I was torn by this scene. At first I thought the guy took down the posting of Ben because Ben helped him. But you're right the guy is probably going to turn Ben in for the reward.
Old 11-03-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I don't think we'll know that one til next week at least. It would make sense either way. The guy either wants to turn in an escaped murderer, or wants to help out the nice guy that gave him a few bucks to get his tire fixed. I think just the fact that it was finally brought up again means the cops are going to get involved at some point, whether it's that guy or someone else who recognizes him.
Old 11-04-03, 01:49 AM

I noticed that too.
Old 11-04-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only 5 more episodes left... I hope we start getting more of the amount of revelations we have gotten the past two weeks!
Old 11-04-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
Wait til she dances the cootch and we find out she's a he
Old 11-04-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am scare of that big blow-off!
Old 11-04-03, 01:53 PM

HAHA I'm no more scared tosee her naked then I was to see the now dead fatty take it off.
Old 11-04-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I love this show. Is this show just a one time deal like Band of Brothers? And is there really only 5 episodes left? Once I watch an episode I crave more.
Old 11-04-03, 06:04 PM

Aye that was pretty good that, the last episode was more poignant I thought, with the revelation of his wrong doings, but it was under duress so is it really a crime :?

Has anyone else noticed the god complex that America is going through with it's TV shows at the moment?, 1st was SFU, well it had elements of religious dabbling with the reapers and all. Then Dead like Me, which was moderately entertaining, Then obviously carnivale (Y) there are also Joanne of arcadia and the new show tru-calling..

Is this a reactionary response to 9/11 and re-affirmation in a higher power for the impending doom that seems inevitable to us all around the world? Or are things reversing from complete atheism which befell us last century. I find it very interesting that such programmes are popping up. Carnivale actually made me read the bible to find out about “harlot” the whole of Babylon, it was evident how our folks kept us away from some of the strange parts like this.. almost resembles and exceeds modern day fiction in terms of power and meaning.. I am looking forward to the conclusion of this show, though I can see an arc forming.. don’t know where it is going, do any of you know if there are further seasons planned?
Old 11-05-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno. I enjoy Carnivale, but I'm essentially an atheist. I've known some very religous people that would probably be way too freaked out by this show to watch it. They'd be more the type to watch something like Touched by an Angel.
Old 11-05-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to HBO, it says this is Season 1....so I guess there are going to be more seasons in the future.
Old 11-05-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Earlier today, I read somewhere, maybe the HTF, that "Carnivale" was just picked up for another season.
Old 11-05-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Earlier today, I read somewhere, maybe the HTF, that "Carnivale" was just picked up for another season.
If that's the case then it's good news and bad news.

Good news for fans of the show cause it means more Carnivale!

Bad news cause it means they will have the ability to open up many plot and story lines without ever having to explain or tie up the lose ends a' la The Sopranos.
Old 11-05-03, 06:26 PM

This show is going to get more interesting toward the end of the series or season. And the scene when Samson sees Lodz chatting with Management, oh, wow. That was creepy and seeing Samason's face? And the vocie of Linda Hunt made it even creepier!

Can't wait for next week!

Last edited by vallerie; 11-08-03 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Astro
What was the significance of the vision Ben had when he touched that ring? I'm trying to remember what he saw. It looked medieval.
Not sure it was very significant, just a nice little touch. I believe Ben flashed back on a scene from the crusades, where the Knights of Templar came into being, which evolved into the Masons, which that ring was a part of. Just a nod to a secret Cabal of mystery. I thought it was one of the best touches of the show.
Old 11-08-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the very end of the episode Sampson pulls out some sort of metal emblem with the exact same symbol as the ring that belonged to the scout. On the back of the emblem were the initials H.S. (Hack Scutter).