Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Disney's Haunted Mansion: After Thanksgiving?

Eric F
11-02-03, 08:22 PM
No Halloween release? A clear sign the studio has no faith in this Eddie Murphy film?

The Turkey connection is way too easy.:)

demonio
11-02-03, 08:48 PM
judging by the previews I don't blame the studios, everything Eddie Murphy does today is crap.

Giantrobo
11-03-03, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by demonio
judging by the previews I don't blame the studios, everything Eddie Murphy does today is crap.

maybe in your World and Worlds like it.

Eddie still pulls in bank. If he didn't, they wouldn't greenlight his stuff. Now, is his stuff as cool as his 80's stuff? That's up for arguement....

Either way, although I agree with Eric F in terms of the studio's seeming lack of faith in the flick, I'm still looking forward too it

DonnachaOne
11-03-03, 09:25 AM
Looks like this to me - it was originally a Halloween flick, but Brother Bear (the planned Thanksgiving film) didn't live up to expectations. So they switched the dates around so BB wouildn't get crushed by Back In Action.

Considering the amount of advertising and merchandising on Haunted Mansion, I'm sure DIsney DOES have faith in it as an earner.

javanut
11-03-03, 09:40 AM
I think it'll be a money maker for them, for sure. After Pirates, a lot of people will turn out to see the movie just to see what they do with it. And I think they probably didn't release it for Halloween because they were afraid everyone would instantly lose interest as soon as the holiday was over.

Fred C. Dobbs
11-03-03, 12:35 PM
I don't know what happened to Eddie Murphy. Coming to America, Trading Places, 48 Hrs, and the Beverly Hills Cop series were all great comedies. Adventures of Pluto Nash? Daddy Day Care? What kind of roles are they giving him nowadays? People claim Eddie Murphy has "lost it" but look at the crap roles he is getting! :rolleyes:

Pants
11-03-03, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to point out that Wallace Shawn is in this film and he plays A DEAD GUY!!!! Looks like Digital Bits wasn't wrong after all

Charlie Goose
11-03-03, 03:55 PM
When this was originally announced, I was excited to see it until I saw that Eddie Mediocriphy was the star. Now I have zero interest. Seeing the previews have not changed my mind.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

jaeufraser
11-03-03, 03:55 PM
Opening a movie in late November isn't really a sign of a lack of faith. While yes, Halloween is a much more sensible time in terms of theme, late October is just not as big a movie going time as late November. Granted, October has grown leaps and bounds and big movies can and do open, but if Disney truly had no faith in this movie it'd prolly open mid October or September. No, Disney has lots of faith in this. They're hoping for a big hit. I, on the other hand, will stay home.

Pants
11-03-03, 04:18 PM
I think this movie will do very good business. The previews of Pirates of the Carribean looked awful, it was awful, but still made a ton of dough. I don't see how this is any different. But I do agree that Disney missed two golden opportunities to make two very good films.

PalmerJoss
11-03-03, 04:26 PM
I don't think this is going to be a gigantic movie by any stretch, but I'm sure it will do good business for Disney. Probably do about 80 million or so by the end of it's run. It is a very crowded holiday movie season this year it seems so it may get lost in the rush, you never know.

javanut
11-03-03, 06:41 PM
Pants, who's Wallace Shawn??

I agree. Releasing this in November shows more, not less, faith in it.

Ginwen
11-03-03, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by javanut
Pants, who's Wallace Shawn??

It's inconceivable that you do not know who Wallace Shawn is!

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/6353/wshawn.html

javanut
11-04-03, 09:12 AM
OH! Of course. Who knew he'd been in so many movies.

People claim Eddie Murphy has "lost it" but look at the crap roles he is getting!

Do you really think these are the only roles he can get? I actually think he's choosing these roles, taking his career in a different direction.

Movieorama
11-11-03, 06:55 PM
I'll see this movie b/c i love jennifer tilly..I'm definitelly a fan!

javanut
11-24-03, 02:46 PM
Three days until this is out. I haven't seen any (high profile) reviews and Rotten Tomatoes only has seven.

jarofclay73
11-24-03, 06:36 PM
I'm guessing that this movie was probably slated for end of October but had to be delayed because of the amount of visual effects. The last trailer seemed to indicate there was a lot of CGI to be done.

As for Murphy, I think he's carving out a niche in children's movies. Haunted Mansion is definitely geared more towards family entertainment. So was Daddy Day Care and Shrek 1 & 2. I don't know what Pluto Nash was other than something that looked horrible.

Hendrik
11-24-03, 06:40 PM
...a (fairly negative) review (http://www.hanthonymedley.com/2003/The_Haunted_Mansion.htm)...

...and a (fairly positive) review (http://www.killermoviereviews.com/main.php?nextlink=display&dId=363)...

. . . :o . . .

Rypro 525
11-24-03, 07:10 PM
i heard the reason Eddie Murphy doesn't do good movies any more is because he has kids and wants to be a family man. No racy or funny movies like he used to do.

tanman
11-25-03, 02:53 AM
Eddie Murphy can be hilarious ie Beverly Hills and even some of his more recent movies, Shrek. But He is all over the place in terms of his roles. I was looking forward to it but really cringed when I saw Eddie's name in the credits.

LivingINClip
11-25-03, 03:12 AM
Eddie Murphy can be great, he can deliver. I point to his earlier works, his voice acting in Shrek and even a few lines in current movie's - one that sticks in my head is the way he delivers the line about calling up spirits in the Haunted Mansion preview. He is a great actor - but he isn't selective enough in his roles and he is trying to hard to get family oriented films.

Great actor, bad choices.

RyoHazuki
11-25-03, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
i heard the reason Eddie Murphy doesn't do good movies any more is because he has kids and wants to be a family man. No racy or funny movies like he used to do. Family men can't make good movies?

Jericho
11-26-03, 11:27 AM
I find it ironic that Eddie Murphy has become a lot more like Bill Cosby in his "artistic choices" after making fun of him in his stand-up. It seemed like he started out as the complete opposite of Cosby and is now very similar. Not saying that's bad, but I do miss the old Eddie.

mdc3000
11-26-03, 11:06 PM
This movie was extremely average... nothing extremely bad, but nothing overly good... I was slightly disappointed. Murphy really needs to get back to some good ol' ****ing swearing filled humour. The effects were pretty good, but the plot was lackluster and it didn't have much heart. The Crypt scene was pretty good though (and actually, was scarier than the whole of GOTHIKA)... anyhow, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it...

MATT

**1/2 out of *****

Rammsteinfan
11-27-03, 11:57 AM
I liked it in the end... its a good kids film. More for the kids than adults but still was done well and is alot better than some of the crap out there now. I enjoyed it and plan to buy it if it comes in a nice SE on DVD.

TonyLomak
11-29-03, 07:41 AM
I just read an article on Eddie Murphy's crossover from edgy to family. link (http://www.msnbc.com/news/996626.asp?0ql=c8p)

Gasspasser
11-29-03, 11:09 AM
I saw this movie last night and I didnt like it. The kids might like it tho

javanut
12-01-03, 03:31 PM
The film had a really strong opening. I'd wager it will do well over the next few weeks, too, as kids go to see it. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the last big family release of the year until Cheaper by the Dozen and Peter Pan on Christmas.

RichC2
07-22-10, 04:16 PM
WTF? Guillermo Del Toro on board for a reboot? Really?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/disney-guillermo-del-toro-developing-haunted-mansion/

RocShemp
07-22-10, 04:22 PM
Yup. And apparently it'll be an actual horror film this time rather than a comedy.

RoboDad
07-22-10, 04:23 PM
WTF? Guillermo Del Toro on board for a reboot? Really?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/disney-guillermo-del-toro-developing-haunted-mansion/

Yep, I just read it from another Comic-Con source as well.

As for it being a horror film, it will still be a Disney product, so I wouldn't expect anything as dark as Pan's Labyrinth.

sauce07
07-22-10, 04:29 PM
They should cast Tracy Morgan

RocShemp
07-22-10, 04:34 PM
As for it being a horror film, it will still be a Disney product, so I wouldn't expect anything as dark as Pan's Labyrinth.

I'd take a fun PG-13 horro film like, say, Drag Me To Hell.

Mr. Cinema
07-22-10, 04:37 PM
:down: to him not choosing Frankenstein.

:(

RoboDad
07-22-10, 05:45 PM
I'd take a fun PG-13 horro film like, say, Drag Me To Hell.
That could work. If he can manage to pull off a film that pays homage to the ride in the same way that Curse of the Black Pearl did for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, it could be a HUGE hit. Make it scary, but not over-the-top in the graphic violence department.

islandclaws
07-22-10, 05:46 PM
This could be fucking epic! I'm a total Disney nerd, and I ride the Mansion every time I go. I've been hoping to hear about a good, creepy treatment for this, and I think del Toro is perfect.

DRG
07-22-10, 06:04 PM
From http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/22/comic-con-guillermo-del-toro-announces-haunted-mansion-remake-for-disney/:

will be “scary and fun at the same time …. if you take the children, they will scream.”

I'm guessing this will be somewhere around Gremlins and Poltergeist in fright level/tone.

Eric D.
07-22-10, 07:27 PM
Thankfully it's not a sequel to the first one. That's what I was afraid of when I saw the thread bump. :lol:

JoeyOhhhh
07-22-10, 07:49 PM
Hopefully this movie will get the hatbox ghost finally installed in all the Haunted Mansion rides - that's my worst case scenario for this movie

islandclaws
07-22-10, 08:06 PM
^ Word to that!

bd...?
07-22-10, 08:23 PM
Oooooh and it's going to be in 3D :down:

islandclaws
07-22-10, 08:27 PM
From DHD:

UPDATE: Luke Y Thompson reports from Comic-Con 2010 today: Walt Disney Studios ended the TRON panel with a surprise: the logo of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion ride! The green drawing of a ghost was shown along with some of the spiel from the ride. The audience is asked who it thinks the perfect director would be. Crowd yells out “Tim Burton,” but goes crazy when Guillermo Del Toro comes out! He says he's nervous because it's a Disney panel, which limits his vocabulary. He says he has ridden the ride at least once a year since he was a kid, and notes he always felt there were more story possibilities than just a horror movie. That said, “the scary will be scary. We're being true to the spirit of the original Imagineers... We are not returning Eddie Murphy's call.” It will be shot in 3D, live-action, and the Hatbox Ghost is the pivotal character.

JumpCutz
07-22-10, 08:30 PM
Meh... this can't help but be head and shoulders better than the first film, but still not sure this will work.

Edit: Del Toro? I'd rather see him do his original projects, but he'd sure make it more interesting than Burton.

RoboDad
07-22-10, 10:20 PM
Oooooh and it's going to be in 3D :down:

Haunted Mansion in 3D? :up:

The "3D-ness" of the ride has always been one of its coolest elements. It seems only fitting that they incorporate that into the film.

rexinnih
07-23-10, 11:04 AM
Burton would have rocked on this but will definatley see the Del Toro version.

RocShemp
07-23-10, 11:23 AM
Del Toro's not directing. :( He's only writing and producing.

The Bus
07-23-10, 11:23 AM
After the turd that was Alice in Wonderland, I don't want Tim Burton near any Disney project.

Paul1957
07-28-10, 06:47 PM
:down: to him not choosing Frankenstein.

:(

"Frankenstein-- in the next few weeks we are doing a very, very thorough makeup test on Doug Jones. And we're gonna film it," del Toro said. Jones, of course, is the longtime collaborator who is perhaps best known for wearing the Abe Sapien suit in "Hellboy" and the Pale Man & Pan suits in "Pan's Labyrinth."

"We have been designing the creature, sculpting it," del Toro continued. "Bernie Wrightson designed the creature. That's the man, the go-to guy for 'Frankenstein.' My idea is to try to shoot that movie exactly as--" he paused, "Almost like an illustration [in] black & white. It would be done very differently than the other 'Frankenstein' movies. But it's in the future; we're doing tests in a couple weeks."

Josh asked, just to clarify, is the intent to shoot in black & white? Del Toro admits that it's not really an option that's being considered. "I would hope that it would resemble it," he said.

Also some news on the At The Mountains of Madness script:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/07/28/exclusive-guillermo-del-toro-shooting-makeup-tests-for-frankenstein-soon-van-helsing-was-a-rumor/#more-39887

JumpCutz
07-28-10, 07:40 PM
I'd love a new black and white version of Frankenstein.

Bernie Wrightson. :thumbsup: