Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Retailers yank Stones discs over Best Buy deal

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a lot of retailers are pretty upset about the deal between the Rolling Stones and Best Buy in Canada (giving BB a 4-month exclusive on the new 4-disc DVD). A lot of retailers are pulling either their entire catalog or a good portion of it from their shelves.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/artic...n_main_street/
Old 11-02-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
It may seem petty, but they make a great point. It is stupid and unfair. A two-week window (like U2 and Sting had with their live DVDs) is one thing, but four months? By the time it is available to other retailers, no one will still be wanting it. That's just wrong.
Old 11-02-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. and artist complain about downloads. if you only offer to sell it at certain places they have no reason to complain.
Old 11-02-03, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, their protest won't be felt unless the large American retailers (Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, etc) also have the stones to join in the boycott, and I don't think that will happen.
Old 11-02-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
Sadly, their protest won't be felt unless the large American retailers (Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, etc) also have the stones to join in the boycott, and I don't think that will happen.
It already is happening. Transworld has almost 1000 music stores (Coconuts, Strawberries, etc,), and they're pulling catalog. As is Newbury Comics (a good-size chain in the New England), and Circuit City cancelled a large upcoming promotion. This will definitely hurt the sale of Stones CDs, which hopefully will be a lesson learned...
Old 11-02-03, 09:42 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I heard about this last week. Was hoping it would still be a go, but I guess not.
Old 11-03-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
From the stories I've read, if the Stones would have chosen traditional distribution, it would have cost the customer $20-$30 more for this set. Bad for retailers, good for us.
Old 11-04-03, 08:21 AM
Banned

This is idiotic. If I was a retailer I would put my Stones catalogue on sale during the first couple of weeks the dvd's come out and make sure they are cheaper than Best Buy then heavily promote the sale. You'll certainly get some people who buy the live set and then head over to your store to stock up on the older cd titles. Pulling them from the shelves means no Stones sales and makes you look like a whiny crybaby.
Old 11-04-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cracksky
This is idiotic. If I was a retailer I would put my Stones catalogue on sale during the first couple of weeks the dvd's come out and make sure they are cheaper than Best Buy then heavily promote the sale. You'll certainly get some people who buy the live set and then head over to your store to stock up on the older cd titles. Pulling them from the shelves means no Stones sales and makes you look like a whiny crybaby.
Whiny crybaby?
So far you're the only person I've heard even suggest such a label.
Most people use the word 'principle'. Try dictionary.com if you're not clear on what it means...
Old 11-04-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cdollaz
From the stories I've read, if the Stones would have chosen traditional distribution, it would have cost the customer $20-$30 more for this set. Bad for retailers, good for us.
Let's see: they make it available in FEWER stores, in SMALLER quantities, and they expect us to believe that that will LOWER their per-unit cost?

Nope, I think logic fails somewhere there...

Not that it really matters, it's a music DVD, and a multi-disc box set, at that. We're not talking about a blockbuster movie here. Even with the enduring popularity of the Stones, they're probably not going to sell a whole ton of these...

-jason
Old 11-04-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thinik about it this way:

Every retailer (except Best Buy, of course) pulls all their Stones catalogue. Well, the Stones aren't monster sellers these days anyways, so it isn't likely to hurt the retailers or their business.

However, the same act causes a small to imtermidiate spike (increase) in Best Buy's sale of Stones catalogue along with the DVD exclusive.

Who looks like the winner again?
Old 11-06-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's a little off topic but I'm equally annoyed at all these Best Buy "bonus DVDs" you're seeing with stuff like the Indiana Jones set etc. Not that that particular disc was any great shakes, but it's pretty lousy that BB is the only chain to get this stuff and if you're like me and over 2 hours' drive from one (not to mention I don't particularly like the places anyway), their near-monopoly on "special discs" is a little shifty I think... A little "payola" here?