Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater - "As I Am" Free Download

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-01-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

www.dreamtheater.net

it is the radio(bastardized) version of the song which means no solos, intros, or outros. Sounds good though.

Can't wait for the rest of the CD. 10 more days!
Old 11-01-03, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. I knew they were going to post it sooner or later. I like the song but it didn't have an immediate impact on me that their previous first looks did. To me it sounds like a cross between Pull Me Under, Enter Sandman and Youthanasia era Megadeth. That isn't a bad thing but it is a bit different than what DT has been doing recently. On more listens I am sure the song will continue to grow on me...as all the other DT songs did. Unlike some DT fans that I have seens posts from in other forums, I will reserve judgement on the new album until after hearing the whole thing. Still, the song is fairly decent.

I have listened to the song a few more times and it is really starting to grow on me. The lyrics are pretty much a lashing out at the music industry and the bands record label. The chorus is sweet, the band is tight, and the riffs are solid. 9 days left!

Last edited by DVDGUY1116; 11-02-03 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 08:58 AM

The full length 7+ min radio version at the link above is only missing seconds at the beginning and end, also a swear is edited out. IMO, I think the lyrics are more subtlety directed toward hyper critical people who analyze every single thing DT does and create early assumptions based on that. Since SFAM Elektra pretty much stays out of their way writing/song wise so it can't be about that. Take DT "as they are" I dig the tune, a nice opener that I can't wait to see live. Like DVDGUY1116, I reserve judgement on the album until after hearing the whole thing (for me a number of times, not after the first listen).
Old 11-03-03, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Hannibal
IMO, I think the lyrics are more subtlety directed toward hyper critical people who analyze every single thing DT does and create early assumptions based on that.
I never thought about it that way. It certainly is possible as I think Portnoy wrote the lyrics to As I Am and, being the band leader, he deals with those people ALL the time both on his site and on DT.Net...which has the highest ratio of hyper-critical fans out of all the DT sites.