Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Simon & Garfunkel tour news / reviews [merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Simon & Garfunkel tour news / reviews [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Simon & Garfunkel to tour this fall!!!

From Art Garfunkel's site
http://www.artgarfunkel.com/latest.htm

PAUL SIMON and ART GARFUNKEL TO TOUR THIS FALL!

After performing together and receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2003 Grammy Awards, old friends Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel have agreed to harmonize once again. The duo will tour the United States from September through December. Dates and venues will be announced soon.
Old 07-05-03, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants to guess ticket prices? I'm guessing $40-90.

I wish they would have played during the summer. No outdoor shows.

Aaron
Old 07-05-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Glad I saw them in Central Park for FREE in 1981.
Old 07-06-03, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
Who wants to guess ticket prices? I'm guessing $40-90.

I wish they would have played during the summer. No outdoor shows.

Aaron
I would guess good seats will be well above 90. There is a reason they are touring again, IMO, and it isn't for the fans.
Old 07-06-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine that the tickets will be expensive and sell quickly. This is a tour I've been hoping for and will try to swing tickets if it comes anywhere near here.
Old 07-06-03, 06:53 AM

I feel their time has past.

They have provided, many great songs and memories...but....
Old 07-06-03, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mikenyc
I feel their time has past.

They have provided, many great songs and memories...but....
past what?

how many people under 40 have seen them? If the Grammys would have eneded after their performance, it would have been a knockout.
Old 07-06-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering the Doobie Brothers are selling out seats at Wolftrap (huge outdoor venue in the DC area), I imagine S&G will be huuuge and expeeensive.
Old 07-07-03, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Scot1458
past what?

how many people under 40 have seen them? If the Grammys would have eneded after their performance, it would have been a knockout.

A more accurate representation is in their recorded legacy, especially the early live recordings from the 1960's, and the unofficial live concert recordings, where they sing the original song versions, some of which are unedited and the complete, original lyrics.

It ain't going to get much better than that.

Save yourself alot of money, because this is really what this recent tour is all about.
Old 07-07-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing beats seeing a live perforance. A viewing a recording of a live performance just isn't the same. How often do you get to see Simon and Garfunkel perform? Well, looks to be about once every 15 years.
Old 07-07-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I'll hold out for Cylon and Garfunkel

Old 09-09-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Simon & Garfunkel to tour again?

Simon and Garfunkel may tour
9/9/2003

NEW YORK -- Unless they get in yet another squabble, it looks like Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel are reuniting for a concert tour.

The duo have reserved dates at concert arenas nationwide, said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar, a concert-industry trade publication. And they were scheduled to make a "very special announcement" at a New York nightclub today, publicists said.

There's been talk of a tour since Simon and Garfunkel performed together at the Grammys in February, and they've done the logistical groundwork, Bongiovanni said. "Everyone's been expecting it," he said. "It was still in the speculative stages, because you never know when Artie and Paul will get in a fight and call the whole thing off."

The mega-selling folk-rock duo broke up more than three decades ago, and they have had a fractious relationship since. They put their arms around each other after singing "The Sound of Silence" to open the Grammys.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Hope it happens....
Old 09-09-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes it is going to happen. I got a call from the United Center ( I am a Bulls ticket season holder and we get dibs on the seats)
Old 09-09-03, 12:25 PM

Ticketmaster already has info (but no ticket prices) for an early November concert in San Jose. Tickets go on sale this weekend. The press conference was supposed to be at noon today in New York, so I would expect dates to pop up shortly.

chanster, how much were the tickets? (I have a feeling this is one of those Paul McCartney/Elton John/Billy Joel ticket price ranges -- triple digits, easy.)
Old 09-09-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was offered tickets for $130 and $260. They said they were lower level seats - seems kinda steep.
Old 09-09-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by chanster
I was offered tickets for $130 and $260. They said they were lower level seats - seems kinda steep.
Yeah, but I think that's about how much tickets went for Paul and Elton/Billy. Sigh. I'd like to see them, but I don't think they're worth that much to me.
Old 09-09-03, 04:59 PM

And here's a Billboard article on the press conference with tour locations, sans dates.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...ent_id=1972155
Old 09-10-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know where I can find a video of the press conference? I'd especially like to see them performing The Boxer.
Old 09-11-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone kow how the pre-sale is going to work or any password etc.?

Thanks
Old 09-12-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are tickets for sale for some venues at ticketmaster.
Old 09-13-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just caught Simon & Garfunkel appearing on David Letterman tonight and it was magic.

They performed America and The Boxer with just the incredible sound of their two voices together again with Simon on acoustic guitar.

Next to the sadly impossible wish that I could hear Lennon & McCartney vocal harmony again ... this is as good as it gets.
Old 11-01-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Well, I'd *like* to go see Simon and Garfunkel, but...

http://www.tixx.com/simon_garfunkel_tickets.html

Tickets for the MCI Center shows in DC range from $145 each nosebleeds to $1215 of those still available.

Never mind. I'll wait for a concert video.
Old 11-01-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are all the hippies doing shows that only rich yuppies can afford to go to?
Old 11-01-03, 04:06 AM

Don't buy from scalpers. Face value for tickets is around $50-250, and some will most likely drop on Ticketmaster close to the concert date.

Still expensive, but the shows are selling out in spite of the high price.
Old 08-01-04, 07:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

BBC site
[From Yahoo]
With the Colosseum and a swollen golden moon rising above it as a backdrop, Simon & Garfunkel closed out the European leg of their Old Friends tour with hundreds of thousands of adoring fans stretched before them Saturday night.

Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni told the crowd that 600,000 people had turned out for the free concert, 100,000 more than the crowd for a free concert by Paul McCartney last year in the same setting.

That might make cause some wincing for fans who paid an average of nearly US$140 a ticket for the first leg of the tour in the United States, which began last autumn.

The concertgoers in Rome rocked and stamped their feet in encouragement. Many members of the audience were in their 60s and grew up with the songs of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. The pair's songs were so popular their lyrics were translated into Italian and the melodies sung by Italian groups.

The crowd roared as Simon crouched low with his guitar, getting into the grove of "Mrs. Robinson," their hit song recorded for the cult movie hit "The Graduate." While he sang the song, Garfunkel toyed with the buttons of his shirt cuff.

Thousands of fans showed up hours ahead of the performance to find a decent viewing place, but some of the best seats in the house went untaken. Those were balconies and terraces of apartment buildings overlooking the Colosseum. Their occupants were among the hundreds of thousands of Rome's 3 million inhabitants who have fled the city these weeks for vacation.

Simon and Garfunkel grew up in a middle class neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens. But the boyhood pals have been famously estranged over the years, splitting up bitterly in 1971.

The European tour started in Manchester, England, on July 14, and took the pair to 10 other cities before Rome. The tour also featured the Everly Brothers, who joined Simon & Garfunkel in a rendition of "Bye Bye Love."

Songs performed included many of Simon & Garfunkel's biggest hits together, including "Sound of Silence," "My Little Town," "El Condor Pasa" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which brought tears to the eyes of many in the audience.

In separate interviews last month with The Associated Press in New York, the two artists disagreed on whether Simon & Garfunkel have a recording future.
Here's some of what a UK reviewer wrote about the opening gig in Manchester, England:
Garfunkel stood, radiant with self-confidence singing that transcendent melody, eyes aloft, for what seemed to be the benefit of a higher authority. Simon, intense, dour of aspect and awkward of movement sang his verse posing strangely like a tubby ballerina.

This was what one jaded reviewer would say is the best gig I have ever seen. What this breathtaking show proved, yet again, was that Garfunkel needs Simon's songs to give of his best, and Simon needs this sexagenarian choirboy to realise much of his finest work.
Bio starts here + part two & selected discography.