Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

5.1 rear surround speaker placement

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I have both my left & right surround speakers approx. 7 feet on both sides of me. The speaker placement is very high, close to the ceiling, which is about 4 feet over my head. The speakers are aimed straight towards each other, over my head, flush against the wall. Should the speakers be aimed/tilted downwards, towards the listening area? I have the Digital Video Essentials disc, but it says nothing about the tilt or height of the surround speakers.
Old 11-01-03, 01:39 AM

From: http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html

Preferred surround speaker placement

The surround speakers should be placed alongside and slightly to the rear of (but not behind) the prime seating position (Figure 8); well above ear level, to help minimize localization effects (Figure 9); and aimed directly across the listening area, not down at the listeners (Figure 10). This arrangement creates a diffuse, enveloping surround soundfield throughout the listening area, like that in cinemas and in the dubbing theaters where soundtracks are mixed. If the speakers are too far forward, you won't get sufficient rearward effect, and if the speakers are too far back, there will be a loss of envelopment and integration of the surround information with the whole soundfield.
Old 11-01-03, 01:40 AM

Forgot to add that you should experiment to "hear" what sounds best to you.
Old 11-01-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NikePengiun~

Thanks so much for the explanation and website figures. Fortunately my setup is exactly as how you have it described. The speakers are well above ear level and are facing face other, and are slightly behind me (not too far back). Thanks again man!