Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Charade (1963) - Is there an anamorphic version?

tacomantt
10-31-03, 04:44 PM
Charade (1963) - Is there an anamorphic version and how is it?

Mr. Salty
10-31-03, 04:52 PM
Yes, I believe the version that comes as a bonus with the god-awful remake, "The Truth About Charlie," is anamorphic. I've read that the transfer is very good, but I'm quite pleased with my out-of-print Criterion.

Johnny Zhivago
10-31-03, 05:09 PM
Correct. Pick up The Truth About Charlie for "the bonus movie" Charade and ignore Charlie... It's a fine anamorphic transfer, if that's all you're after... Recommended. Plus, you get "the bonus movie" The Truth About Charlie.

tacomantt
10-31-03, 07:21 PM
I thought so. I ordered the Universal edition of Charade. Although its 16:9, I hope the transfer is as good as Criterions.

-T

Geofferson
10-31-03, 08:22 PM
I had both versions of Charade (Criterion and The Truth About Charlie) and I can vouch that the Truth About Charlie version is a much better picture & anamorphic.

Sonicflood
10-31-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Geofferson
I had both versions of Charade (Criterion and The Truth About Charlie) and I can vouch that the Truth About Charlie version is a much better picture & anamorphic.

Same here!

jough
11-03-03, 09:58 PM
Was the Truth About Charlie bonus disc of Charade a limited time thing or is it still available?

Sonicflood
11-03-03, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by jough
Was the Truth About Charlie bonus disc of Charade a limited time thing or is it still available?

Still available. This was not a limited time bonus.

Sonicflood

jough
11-03-03, 10:42 PM
Nice. Now it's time to check the Price Drop list at DavidDVD to see if/when this bad-boy price drops.

custom001
11-04-03, 05:08 AM
Thanks for all the info - I've been trying to get a Criterion for months now without success.

Just one question:
Is the commentary on the Criterion really that good?
(The commentary is main reason I'm trying to get it)

Thanks!

bboisvert
11-04-03, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by custom001
Just one question:
Is the commentary on the Criterion really that good?
(The commentary is main reason I'm trying to get it)

Yes, this is one of my favorite commentary tracks. Really, really good.

EDIT: I meant to add that I did a personal comparison when the new version came out and -- anamorphic or not -- I still prefer the Criterion's picture. I did not bother keeping the Universal edition.

redio
11-04-03, 10:47 AM
Just to offer up some evidence against the recent Universal transfer take a look at the comparisons from DVDBeaver.com

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/charade.htm

FilmFanSea
11-04-03, 11:55 AM
Yes, Charade is one of the best examples of an excellent non-anamorphic transfer trumping a good anamorphic one. I'm very pleased with the Criterion.

jough
11-04-03, 03:17 PM
I have the Criterion and am very happy with it. Now I've heard that the anamorphic Universal transfer isn't as good? That's certainly possible - anamorphic enhancement does not mean that the transfer will be better.

Thanks for the DVDBeaver.com comparison. I guess I'll continue to pass on the Truth About Charlie.

Doc Moonlight
11-04-03, 07:44 PM
Just bought THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE this weekend (it's recently had a price drop). The version that I bought was a single disc with TTAC on one side and CHARADE on the other. Wasn't this originally released as a 2 disc set?