Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Forgotten stuff from my collection...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-31-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I delved into my 2500+ cds this week and rediscovered some stuff from my late-eighties/early ninties heyday of CD collecting. Is anyone else a fan of this stuff?

Belly: Star- Tanya Donnelley's post-Throwing Muses band, I think they had a minor hit with "Feed The Tree" off of this one, but the album is solid throughout and is some of the better "college music" from the early ninties, it just got lost in the Nirvana time. Definitely check it out. Sound: Pixies combined with the Sundays

Tackhead: Friendly as a Hand Grenade: amazing industrial funk album from the late eighties with members of the Sugarhill Gang and PIL. Very cool stuff. Sound: late Funkadelic combined with Revolting Cocks

The Bats: Daddy's Highway: probably the best Flying Nun label album out there, this is the sound of New Zealand alternative in its prime. tons of great tracks. Sound: early Smiths jangle combined with the Chill's sense of dreamy, droning melody.

Meat Beat Manifesto: Storm the Studio: technically an EP consisting of remixes of four tracks, it's really album length and the remixes are so completely different, they sound nothing alike. This is incredibly tough and catchy electronica with punishing beats and abrasive, melted sequencers. Check out "Strap-Down", it's still one of the heavier tracks around. Sound: "Land of Rape and Honey"-era Ministry combined with a coked-up Moby.