Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings -- I need an Answer!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 08:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come frodo didnt let Sam carry the ring????????

If the bloody thing was so hard on frodo for carrying it for weeks how come Sam wouldnt carry it for a day or two to help out? Surely Sam has a good heart and wouldnt be swayed by the ring in one day! How come FRODO has to be the one with the BIG burden the WHOLE time???

Seeing frodo freak out over and over in the second movie made me wonder this. Honestly is there a good reason why?
Old 10-30-03, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...?s=&forumid=17

?
Old 10-30-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sam probably wouldn't have been able to carry the burden. You can assume he could, but it wasnt worth the risk or something.
Old 10-30-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last thing you need is two ring carriers slowly fighting over who holds the ring for that moment. it's best to have someone sane or else they would have just headed for the nearest cave to look at the precious.
Old 10-30-03, 09:09 PM

*sigh*

Read the books. The movies are clearly too hard for you to understand.
Old 10-30-03, 09:15 PM

The will of the ring is stronger than that of the ringbearers - it would never let them abandon it unless it wanted them to. What Bilbo did is described in the book (I believe by Gandalf) as unprecedented.

There will be a couple of instances in the next movie that should really drive this point home.
Old 10-30-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Frodo wouldn't let anyone else touch the ring. It's his precious now.

Also Frodo probably wouldn't want to burden someone else with his responsibility. Remember he agreed to take up on the ringbearer job when Gandolf asked him back in Fellowship of the Ring.
Old 10-30-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cause Sam is white.
Old 10-30-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Cause Sam is white.
??? ???
Old 10-30-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cause Sam is white.
You can't trust The Man!
Old 10-30-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The will of the ring is stronger than that of the ringbearers - it would never let them abandon it unless it wanted them to. What Bilbo did is described in the book (I believe by Gandalf) as unprecedented.
-------------
Yep. When Bilbo drops the ring in FOTR, I consider that one of the strongest scenes in the entire 3 movies - and I haven't seen the third one yet.

So, Frodo doesn't WANT anyone else to hold the ring. He may THINK he does, and may THINK he wants just to be rid of it, but that damn ring holds its bearer pretty tightly.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sam does become the ringbearer for a while in the third book.... but that may be saying too much...
Old 10-30-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My advice? Wait until you see Return of the King. You'll get a definitive answer then, believe me(if they stay true to the book, that is).
Old 10-30-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
My advice? Wait until you see Return of the King. You'll get a definitive answer then, believe me(if they stay true to the book, that is).
I have no fear that PJ won't stay true to the book. The changes that he has made so far were only ones that were absolutely necessary. Honestly, I can't think of any reason why he would need to stray from the story in the last movie.

I haven't seen a movie stick this close to the book since The Princess Bride.
Old 10-31-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Keep watching.

Samwise might just get a crack at the ring yet.
Old 10-31-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
The changes that he has made so far were only ones that were absolutely necessary.
Granted, I am a Purist, but you feel it was "absolutely necessary" to...

Have Elves show up to help the fight at Helm's Deep?

Have Faramir portrayed as little more than a ring-greedy thug?

Have the Ents not know what decimation is taking place 10 feet outside their forest?

And most importantly... Have Frodo openly show the ring to the Nazgul in Osgiliath?
Spoiler:
The main part of their hope (in the books) lies in the fact that Sauron does not know where the ring is, nor who has it. He is searching for it, and some of the acts in the third book by other people are meant to do whatever is necessary to keep the focus of Sauron's gaze directed towards Gondor on Gandalf, Aragorn, etc, on the hope that the ringbearer will be able to do his job in relative obscurity. This is sort of F'd up by Frodo showing the ring to the Nazgul, imho.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 10-31-03 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-31-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
And most importantly... Have Frodo openly show the ring to the Nazgul in Osgiliath?
Spoiler:
The main part of their hope (in the books) lies in the fact that Sauron does not know where the ring is, nor who has it. He is searching for it, and some of the acts in the third book by other people are meant to do whatever is necessary to keep the focus of Sauron's gaze directed towards Gondor on Gandalf, Aragorn, etc, on the hope that the ringbearer will be able to do his job in relative obscurity. This is sort of F'd up by Frodo showing the ring to the Nazgul, imho.
Spoiler:
But the Nazgul will assume that the ring is possessed by Gondor. They didn't see Faramir release Frodo. I know that wasn't Frodo's plan, but that and Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron with Sauruman's palantir will cause Sauron to focus his eye on Gondor, leaving Frodo free to enter Mordor.
Old 10-31-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cause Sam is white.
Old 10-31-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, this was one of my biggest problems. So, is the LAST Alliance now known for Helm's Deep?
Old 10-31-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Granted, I am a Purist, but you feel it was "absolutely necessary" to...

Have Faramir portrayed as little more than a ring-greedy thug?

Have the Ents not know what decimation is taking place 10 feet outside their forest?

Let me rephrase . . . "The changes that he has made so far were only ones that were absolutely necessary" to meet the time constraints and yet keep the story flowing and complete enough for people who haven't read the books to understand, given those constraints.

Personally, I think that the some of the things that you mentioned (based on the details I've seen of the TTT:EE) will be addressed during the EE release (e.g., more time with/info about the Ents) and some of the other's will be clarified or expanded on in ROTK (e.g., better picture of Faramir and why the elves came in at Helm's Deep). Tolkien always talked about the Trilogy being one book broken up physically into three sections, and I think that PJ is operating under that model with the movies as well. Because of that, I think we need to wait until it is complete before we begin to "register our complaints". Regretfully, that means waiting for another year before the ROTK: EE comes out.

As for Sauron knowing that Frodo has the ring, honestly, I don't think it matters.
Spoiler:
1) I think that you are assuming that Sauron was able to pick up a lot more information about Frodo that was actually the case (I think that it is clear that he only knows that it was in the hands of a Hobbit, not necessarily Frodo) and 2) once the group splits up, Sauron a) is still unsure of where the Hobbits who could possibly have the ring are, b) still doesn't know which of those hobbits is the one with the ring, and c) doesn't know whether or not someone has taken it from Frodo (there have certainly been plenty of opportunities for that to happen).

Basically, I have every faith that PJ is doing his absolute best to create the movies as close to the books as he possibly can. What impresses me more than anything is to think about how hard it must be for him, being a huge fan, to create a movie that works for people who don't know the story, when he has such intimate knowledge of its details. It's hard to "forget what you know" like that and I think that he has done a fabulous job given the constraints that he is under.

The fact that two of my close female friends, who 1) don't tend to like sci-fi and fantasy, 2) don't like violent and/or freightening movies and 3) know nothing about the books (not even The Hobbit), have gotten completely sucked into the movies, only solidifies my belief that PJ is doing what needs to be done to get this movie done the right way.

Last edited by talemyn; 10-31-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-03, 10:15 AM

Spoiler:
the ents not going to Helm's Deep i can get by with i suppose but the way Faramir was portrayed didn't sit well with me. in the books he says "I wouldn't take that ring if it where in the middle of the road" he had no desire for it whatsoever. and i don't see how that advanced the plot, on the other hand it hindered it, he should have spoken with Frodo and Sam and let them go
Old 10-31-03, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by talemyn

The fact that two of my close female friends, who 1) don't tend to like sci-fi and fantasy, 2) don't like violent and/or freightening movies and 3) know nothing about the books (not even The Hobbit), have gotten completely sucked into the movies, only solidifies my belief that PJ is doing what needs to be done to get this movie done the right way.
introduce them to the books and i bet they get just as sucked into them. not saying PJ isn't doing a good job, just that the original works are better
Old 10-31-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytrip
introduce them to the books and i bet they get just as sucked into them. not saying PJ isn't doing a good job, just that the original works are better
Funny you should say that . . . I am hoping to get them into the books once they're completely hooked on the movies (not sure it would be possible with these two the other way around).
Old 10-31-03, 10:43 AM

some people just don't like to read........poor bastards
Old 10-31-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always wondered why if Galdalf was such a great wizard, why not shoot the ring into space or at least into the middle of the ocean? They wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting it then.
Old 10-31-03, 11:11 AM

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. For two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, the ring ensnared another bearer.

that didn't seem to work well..........the ring is evil it will find it's way back

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.