Ed -- "the Offer" 10.28.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Offer

Ed and Carol visit Manhattan, where she gets a writing assignment and an exciting offer; a new student (Noah Fleiss) learns how to interact with classmates. Mark: Michael Genadry. Keith Kessler: Jonathan Togo. Amanda Williams: Julia Murney. Dr. Jerome: Marvin Chatinover. Kate Jerome: Melissa Miller.
wow.

i'm guessing someone that works for the show reads DVD Talk. let's see we had
  • a $10 bet
  • Dr. Jerome
  • More Cheswick
  • No Eli
  • No pies
hmm...

anyways, i'm wondering...could this whole NY thing be a red herring? or maybe setting it up for this to be the final season [given the spectacular way ORIGINAL TV show are treated nowadays]...? I don't think the show would succeed with just Ed & Carol and their "misadventures in NYC".
Old 10-29-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not to sound rude or anything, but of course its a red herring. i can't believe that there would be any way that they could ditch the basis of the entire show just to throw in a different angle. that being said, the big shocker they have coming i have yet to figure out. the obvious thing would be ed proposing but that is too obvious so i am still wondering.
Old 10-29-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by kevin75
not to sound rude or anything, but of course its a red herring. i can't believe that there would be any way that they could ditch the basis of the entire show just to throw in a different angle.
Doesn't sound rude at all...and while it might not make sense to ditch the basis of the show to "reboot", if Letterman/Burnett/Worldwide Pants sense the end is near, I would hope they'd wrap things up. Not that I want them to end it, i've just come to expect having my favorite shows cancelled. Hell, I had just started watching Boomtown this season and look what they did with it after three eps...
Old 10-29-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i can see them wanting to wrap things up, but IIRC, ed is scheduled for the entire season and i would think that this would be a little premature.
Old 10-30-03, 12:32 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
10$ bet
No Eli
No Jennifer and her stupid pies
Human Box Vs Ninja
Old 10-30-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The $10 bet wasn't as great as some of the previous ones but still good.

Human Box vs Ninja Reminds me of the Peanuts cartoon with Pigpen in a dirty sack.
Old 10-30-03, 03:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by dek
10$ bet
No Eli
No Jennifer and her stupid pies
Human Box Vs Ninja
Old 10-30-03, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this episode was very, very weak.

The entire New York experience struck me as unrealistic, and not in a good way. Nobody involved with that story line had anything close to actual human motivations.

I haven't seen the show since last season, though. Maybe I'm like a lobster jumping into boiling water on this one. Then again, the water is boiling.
Old 10-30-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I figured a lot of people in this forum would be happy after last night's episode. $10 bets, Dr. Jerome, no pies, etc. For me it was an OK episode. I too would really like to know where they're going with the whole New York thing since this show doesn't need a reboot. It's way too early in the season to start wrapping up storylines.

The Human Box vs. Ninja thing was pretty funny but overall it wasn't a great ep. I actually like Eli though I can't say I missed the pie theme.

Overall it was ok.
Old 10-30-03, 06:51 AM

I thought it was probably the best or second-best ep of the season. The reason i watch Ed is to see a little bit of every character, not just carol and ed. Funny side storylines make it worth watching.

Carol will either go to NY without ed, or they're going to stay and get engaged.
Old 10-30-03, 07:43 AM

Remember the show is Ed. Not Stuckeyville USA. granted the writers transplanting the show would be beyond shark jumping but I believe it gives the writers a several episode story arc to try different things.
Old 10-30-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Offer"

Yes, a $10 bet! And then we get Dr. Jerome as well, and more Mark and Cheswick "schooling" the new kid on "cool kids hatin'" that blows up in their face. Dr. Jerome "schools" Mike in a psych experiment.

Carol gets an offer to move to NYC to write for a start-up magazine. She vacillates, tells Ed she wants to stay in Stuckeyville with their friends, and then changes her mind at the last minute because she couldn't stomach teaching "The House of Seven Gables" for the millioneth time in class.

So next week, we'll get the upheaval of Ed and Carol's life as they embrace Carol's decision (though I don't really think they will go through with the move after everything is said and done).
Old 10-30-03, 10:42 AM

Here are the episode teasers for the next three weeks if your interested. (From The Futon Critic)

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 5

ED - (8-9 p.m. ET)
"407"

Spoiler:

WILL CAROL AND ED MOVE ON TO TAKE A BITE OF THE BIG APPLE -- TOGETHER? -- A stressed-out Carol (Julie Bowen) must decide whether to accept an exciting writing job in New York City -- a choice that could separate her from Ed (Tom Cavanagh) and have severe repercussions on everyone in Stuckeyville if he sells the bowling alley and follows her to the Big Apple. Elsewhere, Molly (Lesley Boone) can't help being drawn closer to an exciting and handsome daredevil (guest star Reg Rogers) just when her current boyfriend Sean (guest star Tom Wilson) asks her a big question. Worried about Ed's possible departure, Mike (Josh Randall) seeks new local buddies as standby replacements while Eli (Daryl "Chill" Mitchell) also frets about losing his boss. JanaMarie Hupp, Michael Ian Black, Rachel Cronin and Justin Long also star.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 12

ED - (8-9 p.m. ET)
"408"

Spoiler:

ED IS NOT IN A NEW YORK STATE OF MIND AS HE FINDS COUNSEL TO RECONCILE CAROL'S MOVE -- Troubled by his awkward relationship with a now New-York-based Carol (Julie Bowen), Ed (Tom Cavanagh) seeks professional counseling and ends up with peculiar Dr. Soper (guest star Bruce Altman) as he tries to sort out how their newfound love hit a pothole once she took her new job -- and he receives a startling revelation from the doc. Likewise, a perplexed Eli (Daryl Mitchell) finds solace with his wise physical therapist (guest star Raphael Nash Thompson) as he dissects his simmering romance with "pie lady" Jennifer (Marcy Harriell). Not to be left out of the kissing conundrum, Molly (Lesley Boone) seeks Nancy's (JanaMarie Hupp) advice when she is attracted to the most unlikely of Stuckeyville's males. Josh Randall, Rachel Cronin and Michael Ian Black also star.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 19

ED - (8-9 p.m. ET)
"409"

Spoiler:

ED IS THANKFUL FOR CAROL AT THANKSGIVING -- BUT HOW TO SHOW IT? BURT REYNOLDS AND BLAIR BROWN GUEST-STAR -- When Carol (Julie Bowen) arrives back from New York for Thanksgiving, an overwhelmed Ed (Tom Cavanagh) seizes the moment to express his love by quietly -- and rapidly -- assembling a pastiche of her favorite memories as a tribute while Mike (Josh Randall) shudders at the thought of entertaining his visiting parents (Burt Reynold, "Deliverance," and Blair Brown, "The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd"). As Mike tries to tolerate his domineering dad and his curious way of deep-frying "the bird," a lovestruck Eli (Daryl Mitchell) creatively enlists Jenny's (Marcy Harriell) aid in whomping up a holiday dinner for the needy in Stuckeybowl. JanaMarie Hupp, Lesley Boone and Michael Ian Black also star.
Old 10-30-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked this episode, including the subplot with the nerds realizing that perhaps they were the ones unfairly judging the jocks in order to feel superior. Lots and lots of funny this week.

das
Old 10-30-03, 11:45 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Cit-tay, it sounds cooler if you say it Cit-tay.
Old 10-30-03, 01:09 PM

I think that this show is actually better and funnier when it is more of a "Stuckyville, OH" than when it's just Ed. All of the subplots work out so well when they're not all focusing on Ed and his adventures (ie the Chadsworth subplot).

Best episode of the season I'd say.
Old 10-30-03, 02:10 PM

Good episode. Here are my random thoughts:
The school kid thing seemed a little forced, as did the whole NYC part (Ed came across as an idiot, IMO), but Mike is great. Would a show called "Mike" do better then "Ed"?

Did everyone see the David Letterman tie-in coming from a mile away? As soon as I heard, "we're going to NY," I knew they would either go to the Letterman show or see him or some variation. But when you are the producer, why not?

The "America's Greatest Love Story" thing makes me chuckle.

I, too, think this is a set-up to end the show. Ed goes to NYC, they hate it, they move back, get married, everyone hugs, and the sunsets on "Ed". I'd hate for it to happen, but unless a lot more people start watching, who knows.
Old 10-30-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Ed -- "the Offer" 10.28.2003

Originally posted by Rogue588
  • a $10 bet
  • Dr. Jerome
  • More Cheswick
  • No Eli
  • No pies
Sweet!

Good episode, with Dr. Mike "only following orders" and being likened to a Nazi officer with his enthusiastic abuse of Jerome's granddaughter. "I am the sun, I am the moon, you are dirt."

The David Letterman tie-in with Rupert = *YAWN*

Honk!
Old 10-30-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So what is this BIG SURPRISE the voiceover man keeps inundating us with during the promos?
Old 10-30-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
So what is this BIG SURPRISE the voiceover man keeps inundating us with during the promos?
NBC promos SUCK. I don't even pay attention to them anymore, they're so misleading.

Honk!
Old 10-30-03, 05:00 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Its got something to do with the Cit-tay, the Cit-tay.
Old 10-30-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Well my guess (not reading the episode teasers posted above) is that Carol goes to NY, without Ed. But she'll be back... they ALWAYS come back
Old 10-30-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mordred
Well my guess (not reading the episode teasers posted above) is that Carol goes to NY, without Ed. But she'll be back... they ALWAYS come back
You mean leaving your current profession to hook up with a new, pseudo-hip, dime-a-dozen New York City magazine isn't a good career move? Well, shave my poodle!

Honk!
Old 10-30-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome back Dr. Jerome! I thought it was an excellent episode, for all the reasons everyone stated. I didn't think any of the stories were weak either, unlike a lot of episodes where there's one that just isn't working.

I thought this was one of the best high-school plots they've ever done with the new kid splitting time in two cliques. I can't say they've got me worried about them moving the show to NYC because I'm always fully aware when sweeps month is coming up. There isn't a whole lot of suspense in it for me, but I watch Ed more for the laughs anyway. I think the magazine job could be a good temporary distraction even if I feel certain it's going to end fairly quick. Who knows, maybe they will come up with a surprise. I just don't think they can leave Stuckeyville completely unless Mike visits every week
Old 10-30-03, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
NBC promos SUCK. I don't even pay attention to them anymore, they're so misleading.
They're not nearly as bad as the WB's though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.