Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Trinity start driving backwards on the freeway?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I watched Reloaded a couple more times since I bought the DVD. I noticed something I never noticed in theatres. When Trinity and Morpheus are driving with the key master they are constantly moving in one direction. Assuming they are trying to get to a phone. Then the 3 of them have to ditch their vehicle and Trinity and the Key master get on a motorcycle. They start moving real fast on the motorbike heading in one direction but then they turn around and head in the opposite direction. And they just keep going in the opposite way of where they were supposed to be heading? Explanation please? I understand they only built a little over a mile of freeway so why not have Trinity just turnaround without giving the audience a reason why she did is totally LAME!
Old 10-28-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Agents were chasing them I'm guessing it was an attempt to lose the Agents. Make them crash etc...
Old 10-28-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Why does Trinity start driving backwards on the freeway?

Originally posted by lesterlong
And they just keep going in the opposite way of where they were supposed to be heading? Explanation please?
of course I'm sure the "real life" reason was they had limited highway to work with and and it made for a better shot for the film.. heh.. but still, the directions were correct as far as the goal..

errrr not sure if this would a spoiler but it might be to some if they never have seen the film.. just a heads up.. anyways..

Lets say the goal was north.... they start out going that way... That off ramp curves left, back over the road (west).. She stops the car front pointed north.. They go to the back of the car(south) and get to the truck going south.. being you can see the off ramp they pullled off of in the shot in front of them... also she looks "back" to the over ramp after a few min, you can see the turn off they took.. so she is going south at this point.. As they race along, they pass all the wrecks they made in the "north bound" lanes.. (now on their left, being she is going south)

Then when "issues" show up and she turns around and goes against traffic, at this point she going the correct way of the goal.. as in north..

Spoiler:
Then you have a hand off of the key master to morph going south on a truck.... errrr ok at this point they are going the wrong way.. but she is still heading the right way (north) and that is why she is the first to get out. She reached the goal..
Old 10-28-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The limited highway really wouldn't have much bearing on the script. With 2 and a half miles (I think it was more than just one mile) but even with one you'd have more than enough freeway to go in one direction forever. Unless you wanted a 10 minute uncut shot, editing takes care of that.

The turn around was simply due to agents appearing in front of trinity. She flips around, drives into traffic. Morpheus grabs the Keymaster as he goes into traffic, hurls him on the truck and they're going the original direction again.
Old 10-29-03, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a problem with trinity going the opposite way. But I find it redicules that the agents are able to keep up with her. That bike could loose the cop car in a heartbeat. Sure she's in traffic for a bit, but when she is on the shoulder there is plenty of time to gun it. Its just silly that in most movies all vehicles are the same speed.
Old 10-29-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So they can show Trinity make a cool turn with her bike.

Seriously, I think they mentioned that Trinity take the wrong direction before she turns away somewhere in the extra features. I'm not really sure though...
Old 10-29-03, 07:56 AM

What were they going to do with the key maker when they reached a phone?
Old 10-29-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe as an homage to "to live and die in la"?
Old 10-29-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Its really a simple question..she drops off the keymaker and the agents don't know that, so she diverts them for a few moments by turning the opposite direction.
Old 10-29-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"redicules"?

Either way, the scene ruled.
Old 10-29-03, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by drunkrob
What were they going to do with the key maker when they reached a phone?
That is what I am just now wondering. He is a renegade program, so a phone line isn't gonna do anything for him...and he is the one the agents are after...
Old 10-29-03, 11:59 AM
Banned

Why were they on a freeway in the first place? Oh yeah, for the same reason as everything else that happens in these movies.

Because it looks cool!

The fact that anyone trys to find reason behind anything in these films makes me laugh. Coolness is like gravity in The Matrix films. In real life you don't ask why we stick to the ground and not fly off into space. It's just understood that we don't. In the Matrix it's simply understood that everything happens in order to look cool. It's like a poseur universe

Last edited by Pants; 10-29-03 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why were they on the freeway? Of course cause it looks cool, but within the story it was the quickest route to a phone line. Why a phone line if they had the keymaker? Well, it does seem that they end up in some safety area where they have meetings, which very well might be in the matrix. Nonetheless, I'd imagine they could transfer him, the program, around to a different place, but not in the real world.