Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

RIP Rod Roddy

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP Rod Roddy

Associated Press
LOS ANGELES – Rod Roddy, the flashy-dressed announcer on The Price is Right whose booming, jovial voice invited lucky audience members to "Come on down!" for nearly 20 years, died Monday. He was believed to be 66.
Roddy, who suffered from colon and breast cancer, died at Century City Hospital, according to his longtime agent, Don Pitts. He had been hospitalized for two months.
"He had such a strong spirit. He just wouldn't give up," Pitts said Monday.
Roddy had been ill for more than two years but continued to work as much as possible and for as long as he could, said Bob Barker, host of The Price is Right. Roddy had been with the game show for 17 years.
"We all admired his courage," Barker said last week. "He was always upbeat and hopeful."
Barker recounted a recent visit to his friend: "I went to the hospital and sat on the edge of his bed and we laughed the whole time we were talking. He was still having fun."
Roddy's announcing stints included Love Connection (1981-85) and Press Your Luck (1983-86), but The Price is Right earned him his greatest fame. The Price is Right remains one of the most television's most popular game shows, and Roddy, with his flamboyant sport coats and booming voice, was a big part of the success.
"He started wearing those jackets when he joined the show," Barker said. "He was quite a character. He was important to the success of the show. He had the spirit of 'The Price Is Right.' It's a fun show. We did it with the hope people will forget their problems for awhile."
Roddy, whose real name was Robert Ray Roddy, was born Sept. 18, 1937, in Fort Worth, Pitts said. According to CBS, his birth year was 1936, which would make him 67.
He was a graduate of Texas Christian University and a popular disc jockey in Texas when he decided to expand his career in Hollywood, his agent recalled.
Roddy's versatility made him a popular voice-over artist for commercials in Los Angeles, Pitts said. He got his big break in television with the 1977-81 satire Soap.
Disc jockey Casey Kasem, who was the first announcer on the risque series, decided he did not want to stay with it and asked Pitts if he knew someone who could take over.
"I said, 'I've got a guy who's terrific,"' Pitts said. "Rod started with 'Soap' and then his career took off."
Roddy, who taped his last show about two months ago, had colon cancer surgery on Sept. 11, 2001, and his left breast removed last March.
The diseases appeared under control following chemotherapy but flared up again, Pitts said. The two cancers, which Roddy had said were unconnected, prompted him to become a spokesman for early detection.
"I could have prevented all this with a colonoscopy and, of course, that's the campaign I've been on since I had the first surgery," he said in a recent interview on a CBS Web site.
Breast cancer, although typically associated with women, is diagnosed in about 1,500 American men a year, Roddy said in the CBS interview: "To everybody out there, 'Get a mammogram!' It can happen to men, too."
Roddy was single. The only family member he talked about his mother, who died several years ago, Pitts said.
Funeral plans were not immediately announced.

www.dallasnews.com
Old 10-27-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COME ON DOWN!!!
Old 10-27-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad news. I knew about the 2 cancers he had, but thought he was doing good, considering. Guess not. Price is Right isn't the same without him.
Old 10-27-03, 09:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew

COME ON DOWN!!!
::
I'm going to hell for laughing at that, but damn.

For a second I read the headline as "RIP - Rowdy Roddy". Anyway, the show won't be the same without him.
Old 10-28-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tuned in a good few months back, and it wasn't him doing the announching.

And yeah, I'm going to hell too.

Colon AND breast cancer? that's got to suck. That'd be about when I give up.
Old 10-28-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BrainStew, that is so wrong, and it's still so wrong five minutes later as I'm still laughing.

Too bad about Roddy. He was one of those guys that makes you smile when you think about him.

Honk!
Old 10-28-03, 01:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
god what a scare, for a while there i thought it was Rowdy Roddy Piper who died!

I don't know this Rod Roddy so don't really care
Old 10-28-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OMG I'm going to hell. I cracked up when I saw that.
Old 10-28-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Original Desmond
I don't know this Rod Roddy so don't really care
The announcer on the Price is Right for nearly the last 20 years. Nice of you to not care about someone's death just because you don't know who they are.
Old 10-28-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

His voice is a permanent part of my memories. RIP, dude.
Old 10-28-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott27
Nice of you to not care about someone's death just because you don't know who they are.
Why should he? People die every day and I really don't care about 99.999999999999999% of those deaths.

RIP Rod.
Old 10-28-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rod was awesome. I wish had his fashion sense.
Old 10-28-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

R.I.P. Rod Roddy

'Price Is Right' Announcer Rod Roddy Dies
Tue Oct 28, 8:32 AM ET

By RYAN PEARSON, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Rod Roddy, the flamboyantly dressed announcer on "The Price is Right" whose booming, jovial voice invited lucky audience members to "Come on down!" for nearly 20 years, has died. He was 66.

Roddy, who suffered from colon and breast cancer (news - web sites), died Monday at Century City Hospital, according to his longtime agent, Don Pitts. He had been hospitalized for two months.

"He had such a strong spirit. He just wouldn't give up," Pitts said Monday.

Roddy had been ill for more than two years but tried to work as long as he could, said Bob Barker, host of "The Price is Right." Roddy had been with the game show for 17 years.

"The courage he showed during those difficult times was an inspiration to us all," Barker said in a statement Monday.

Barker recounted a recent visit to his friend: "I went to the hospital and sat on the edge of his bed and we laughed the whole time we were talking. He was still having fun."

Roddy's announcing stints included "Love Connection" (1981-85) and "Press Your Luck" (1983-86), but "The Price is Right" earned him his greatest fame. "The Price is Right" remains one of television's most popular game shows, and Roddy, with his flashy sport coats and booming voice, was a big part of the success.

"He started wearing those jackets when he joined the show," Barker said. "He was quite a character. He was important to the success of the show. He had the spirit of `The Price Is Right.' It's a fun show. We did it with the hope people will forget their problems for awhile."

Roddy, whose real name was Robert Ray Roddy, was born Sept. 18, 1937, in Fort Worth, Texas, Pitts said.

He was a graduate of Texas Christian University and a popular disc jockey in Texas when he decided to expand his career in Hollywood, his agent recalled.

Roddy's versatility made him a popular voice-over artist for commercials in Los Angeles, Pitts said. He got his big break in television with the 1977-81 satire "Soap."

Disc jockey Casey Kasem, who was the first announcer on the risque series, decided he did not want to stay with it and asked Pitts if he knew someone who could take over.

"I said, 'I've got a guy who's terrific,'" Pitts said. "Rod started with 'Soap' and then his career took off."

Roddy, who taped his last show about two months ago, had colon cancer surgery on Sept. 11, 2001, and his left breast removed last March.

The diseases appeared under control following chemotherapy but flared up again, Pitts said. The two cancers, which Roddy had said were unconnected, prompted him to become a spokesman for early detection.

"I could have prevented all this with a colonoscopy and, of course, that's the campaign I've been on since I had the first surgery," he said in a recent interview on a CBS Web site.

Breast cancer, although typically associated with women, is diagnosed in about 1,500 American men a year, Roddy said in the CBS interview: "To everybody out there, 'Get a mammogram!' It can happen to men, too."

Roddy was single. The only family member he talked about was his mother, who died several years ago, Pitts said.

Private funeral services will be held in Texas, with a memorial service planned in Los Angeles in several weeks, CBS said.

___

Associated Press writers Jeff Wilson and Lynn Elber in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
Old 10-28-03, 11:07 AM

I just noticed the other thread on this, sorry. Delete this one.
Old 10-28-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I almost cried. i thought it said Rowdy Roddy
Old 10-28-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
"Rod started with 'Soap' and then his career took off."

I totally forgot that he narrated Soap.
Old 10-28-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DaveNinja
I almost cried. i thought it said Rowdy Roddy
I know, that scared the crap out of me for some reason. Then I wondered why it wasn't in the Sports Talk Forum. Whew!
Old 10-28-03, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Was Rod Roddy gay?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 10-28-03, 02:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Anyone know who his replacement will be?

Anyone watch PRICE IS RIGHT recently? Who's been making the announcements?
Old 10-28-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew

COME ON DOWN!!!
one more for the hell express cause that was damn_funny.
Old 10-28-03, 10:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
Why should he? People die every day and I really don't care about 99.999999999999999% of those deaths.

RIP Rod.
yeah damm right!

I worry only about people who die who mean something to me

It's like me saying that John Fallen, a old man who lived 2 doors down from me 5 years ago kicked the bucket

would you care >?
Old 10-28-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone watch PRICE IS RIGHT recently? Who's been making the announcements?
When I watched a few months ago it was some fruity sounding guy. He was trying to be Rod, but alas, he lacked the booming voice.