Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any plans to make more Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any more Tom Clancy Movies?

Are there plans to adapt any more of his books to the Silver Acreen? I'm a big fan of Jack Ryan. If so, what is scheduled next, and who is suppose to play Ryan?
Old 10-27-03, 04:51 PM

I think Affleck is supposed to continue the role. I think Red Rabbit is the next one I believe, at least I think thats what Clancy had indicated in the commentary on Sum of All Fears (which was an excellent commentary track I thought).

I don't think we can expect to see Executive Orders due to its subject material.

I would absolutely love to see Rainbow 6 made into a movie or a pair of movies with Willem Dafoe continuing the role as John Clark. That would make a nice action movie.
Old 10-27-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is Red Rabbit the next Clancy novel to movie?

Thread: Ben Affleck canned from Red Rabbit?

Wow, that button is neat!
Old 10-27-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
URL=http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=325438&highlight=jack+ryan]Is Red Rabbit the next Clancy novel to movie?[/URL]

Thread: Ben Affleck canned from Red Rabbit?

Wow, that button is neat!
As is his girlfriend.
Old 12-10-06, 02:03 PM
Banned

Are there any plans to make any more Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movies? Yeah sure the last one, The Sum of All Fears, was flawed and no where near as good as the first three, but it is still a guilty pleasure of mine. I had read rumors a long time ago that they were going to do Red Rabbit next, but I haven't heard anything about that for a couple years now.
Old 12-10-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if they make a movie about a war with japan or china they won't be able to do location shoots

personally i think clancy's books are best as a miniseries like Rome since they are too big to fit in a 2 hour movie
Old 12-10-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
I haven't heard of any new Jack Ryan films but I did hear a rumor about Rainbow Six, though that was about a year ago so I'm not sure where that ended up.
Old 12-10-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
personally i think clancy's books are best as a miniseries like Rome since they are too big to fit in a 2 hour movie
I'd love to see HBO turn one into a mini-series or a series.
Old 12-10-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
In addition to Rainbow Six I once saw a rumour about Without Remorse being made into a movie as well. Sadly, much like his next book, nothing substantial has surfaced as of late.
Old 12-11-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Always wondered why they skipped Cardinal of the Kremlin when the films were being made on a somewhat regular basis.
Old 12-11-06, 10:16 AM

This is one series where I think they should have just stopped after the 3 Ford movies. Just feels especially disjointed to switch actors and jump around in time.
Old 12-11-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
This is one series where I think they should have just stopped after the 3 Ford movies. Just feels especially disjointed to switch actors and jump around in time.
There were only two Ford movies weren't there? Alec Baldwin was Jack Ryan in October. I don't mind the actor switch that much but the time jump was a bit disjointed. I don't remember if Ford didn't want to do any more Ryan films or if the studio just had this need to go younger. Couldn't they have gotten Baldwin back for a bit of consistency?
Old 12-11-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by lisadoris
I don't remember if Ford didn't want to do any more Ryan films or if the studio just had this need to go younger.
If memory serves, Ford wasn't interested in the story they were doing. He had some problems with a bomb going off in the US.
Old 12-11-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If memory serves, Ford wasn't interested in the story they were doing. He had some problems with a bomb going off in the US.
I'm glad he passed, allowing himself to make Hollywood Homicide.
Old 12-11-06, 01:41 PM
Banned

There were rumors about Paramount wanting to start the Jack Ryan movies over again, and not in a Ben Affleck/The Sum of All Fears kind of way. I assume that means starting the books all over again.

As for Harrison Ford, supposedly he had objections to the bomb going off in The Sum of All Fears. He also supposedly wanted Jack Ryan to be promoted to a position that wouldn't make sense for him to run around like a field agent, yet still run around like a field agent.

There were also rumors about Without Remorse being made with John Singleton and Joaquin Phoenix, but nothing came of that.

FYI, Savoy Pictures (the production company that brought you Lightning Jack, No Escape and Exit to Eden before they went bankrupt) was going to make Without Remorse with Gary Sinise, but it never got off the ground.
Old 12-13-06, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In addition to Rainbow Six I once saw a rumour about Without Remorse being made into a movie as well. Sadly, much like his next book, nothing substantial has surfaced as of late.
I heard the same thing once about Without Remorse and the rumor had Gary Sinise playing the lead roll.
Old 12-13-06, 10:51 AM

Oh my bad, there were just two Ford movies.

In any case, I say write something new and don't risk shadding on the franchise.
Old 09-20-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Any plans to make more Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movies?

Michael B. Jordan to Play Tom Clancy Character John Clark in New Film Series (EXCLUSIVE)

Another Tom Clancy character is headed to Hollywood.

Paramount Pictures has tapped Michael B. Jordan to play Clancy hero John Clark in a new film series, Variety has learned.

Sources tell Variety that Paramount is developing two pics based on the Clancy books “Rainbow Six” and “Without Remorse,” both novels in which Clark is the main star. “Without Remorse” will be the first film of the two, serving as an origin story for the character.

Akiva Goldsman, who’s heading the new “Transformers” universe, will also be spearheading this endeavor as the film’s main producer with Jordan, Josh Appelbaum, and Andre Nemec also producing. Paramount is currently meeting with writers and directors for “Without Remorse.”

The news comes after Amazon and Paramount TV recently released a rebooted “Jack Ryan” series on its streaming platform, starring John Krasinski, to positive reviews.

Clark, a.k.a. John Terrence Kelly, is an ex-Navy Seal-turned-operations officer for the CIA and would go on to appear in 17 novels starting with 1988’s “The Cardinal of the Kremlin.” Though mainly seen as a secondary character who helps CIA analysis Jack Ryan with more of the physical elements of any mission, Clark finally stepped into the spotlight with “Without Remorse,” which tells his backstory on how he came to work for the CIA.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...es-1202896241/
Old 09-20-18, 01:37 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I don't have any plans to do this, no. Anyone else? Well, if you do, let me know how I can help.
Old 09-20-18, 01:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

To not had two threads going, I am locking this. Discuss here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...ews-rumor.html