Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good prices on Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" RPTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 02:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Wal-Mart has the highly regarded Pioneer SD-533HD5 53-inch widescreen HDTV for $1,686, instore and online.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3996%3A4561

I also read that some of the CompUSA stores that have been converted to also carry consumer electronics have it for $1499.

These are excellent prices for a very good set.
Old 10-27-03, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Good prices on Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" RPTV

Wal-Mart has the highly regarded Pioneer SD-533HD5 53-inch widescreen HDTV for $1,686, instore and online.
Or, you can spend another $300 and get it's big brother, the 643, at Costco for $1999. It's all about the size!

I paid $2599 in Feb at Costco. Tons of feedback on this TV at Home Theater SPOT in both the RPTV and Pioneer forums.

When I started doing my research last December or so, this was being called by many the best RPTV bargain available, and it was being sold for $2799 at that time.

If you don't have the room for the 64", I'd definitely look into the 53" though...
Old 10-27-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Not sure what it cost, but at 210 lbs this might be worth it...

Premier TV Delivery Service
Your new TV will be brought into your home or office and placed in the room of your choice. It will be unpacked, and the empty box and packing materials will be removed.

You'll want to measure your doors, entryways and corners to make sure that your new TV will fit through or around them. Delivery includes moving the TV up or down 2 flights of stairs and 15 minutes of unpacking and assembly time. 15 minutes should be enough time if you have cleared the setup area in advance.

Pilot Air Freight will call you to set up a 4-hour "window" for delivery Monday through Friday between 8 am and 5 pm.
Old 10-28-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can vouch for this set as we recently purchased it from walmart.com, and it rocks. We paid 1886 for it, but walmart refunded us the difference without any hassle and it's been over 30 days since the order.

Delivery service was great, all I did was plug in the cables!

Shipping was $93 bucks fyi.

I can't say enough good things about this set, highly recommend it.
Old 11-05-03, 11:35 AM

This set is awesome. I got mine for $2250 shipped last Sept. If I was shopping for a new set today I would probably set my sights on DLP, but if you want the best set for under $2K to tide you over until LCOS, this is the set for you. For what is essentially last year's model (actually, last last year's model) it's on par with a lot of the newer sets.

BTW, for HD enthusiasts, the SD doesn't have DVI but it does have a 15 pin RGB jack and a separate progressive scan component input.

Last edited by Hanson; 11-05-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-05-03, 06:12 PM

if you want the best set for under $2K to tide you over until LCOS, this is the set for you.
Even when you can buy the 64" version of the same TV for under $2K?
Old 11-06-03, 09:23 AM

Oh, go for the 64" if you have the room, absolutely. Everything was saying applies in general about the entire SD line.
Old 11-06-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where can I get more info on the 64"? I went to the HTS link
above but their search function was under construction. Which
stores carry this model?

Thanks

Jason

Last edited by jasonbird; 11-06-03 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

X - how would the Panasonic PT-47WX53 being discussed here compare to the Pioneer SD-533HD5?

Would the pioneer come out on top?
Old 11-11-03, 10:39 PM

Where can I get more info on the 64"? I went to the HTS link above but their search function was under construction.
I just tried it w/o any issues. There's tons of feedback in the Pioneer forum, but quite a bit in the RPTV forum as well. I know I started doing research last Nov or Dec, and there was all kids of chatter even back then.

Which stores carry this model?
Costco had it for $1999 the last I saw, although they've had 2 $200 price drops in the last few months. I paid $2599 back in Feb, and it was selling for $2799 just a month before that.

Outside of Costco, you'll have to do some research. I've read recommendations of contacting Pioneer. I doubt you'll find another store that's selling it nearly that cheap though. I checked with a Pioneer dealer locally when I was buying mine, and they were selling it for $3699.
Old 11-11-03, 10:53 PM

X - how would the Panasonic PT-47WX53 being discussed here compare to the Pioneer SD-533HD5?

Would the pioneer come out on top?
DISCLAIMER - I'm biased!

I read and read and read for about 3 months before I bought my Pioneer 643 (64" version of the 533). My second choice was Mitsu, with Toshiba and Hitachi the highest options behind that. Based on complaints, I did not consider Sony, Panny, etc.

The thing that stood out to me in general after weeks of reading was that I really did not read much negative about Pioneer. Now, for every TV out there, if you read enough, you'll find both people that love it, and people that hate it. You have to just accept that going in. But, the only brand that I read virtually no negative comments about was Pioneer (and I've never been a Pioneer purchaser in the past). That's something that weighed highly into my choice.

Mitsu had lots of complaints about SD picture quality and stretch modes (a concern of mine, since I watch probably 50% digital cable). They have reportedly greatly improved with this year's models. Hitachi and Toshiba also have their followings, and are reported to have good SD and stretch modes.

IMHO, if you simply want the best, go with Pioneer Elite. If you want the best deal, go with the Pioneer non-Elites (533/643). If you have the space, I don't see any TV comparing to the bargain of the 64" 643 for $1999. When I was researching, this was being called the best bargain available at $2799.

I did most of my research at: Home Theater Spot.