Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : That's it! I'm cancelling my Hulk Preorder!

Thunderball
10-26-03, 10:54 PM
I had this wonderfully amazing film ordered from Buy.com, and then, WHAM! I had to cancel it today.

I was reading on another forum how there are UNSKIPPABLE previews on this disc.!!!!!11one

Unbelievable!

They won't get my money! No sir!

demonio
10-26-03, 10:57 PM
you tell em dude!!

speedy1961
10-26-03, 11:05 PM
You da man dude!

cruzness
10-26-03, 11:13 PM
You Rock

BJacks
10-26-03, 11:17 PM
http://web2.lemoyne.edu/~schollrj/specialed.jpg
"yaaaay!"

The Cow
10-26-03, 11:17 PM
I heard he is now all CGI also, and not a real actor!

bigjim25
10-26-03, 11:19 PM
People actually are paying full price. I thought everyone was getting them from Kraft. ;)

Rammsteinfan
10-26-03, 11:31 PM
I canceled my preorder becuase I remember how horrible this film was...

tinlunlau
10-26-03, 11:50 PM
i ended up buying the pirated copy only cuz of the ad's. at least, i can skip all the ad's.

those Sunny D ad's got annoying.

SunMonkey
10-26-03, 11:52 PM
Sorry dude. You don't think you can cancel pre-orders at Buy.com. ;)

TheNetwork
10-27-03, 12:09 AM
it is the best movie i ever saw

greatjedi
10-27-03, 01:03 AM
I'm also extremely annoyed by Universal's recent trend of placing unskippable previews before movies on DVD. Sure, you can fast forward through them, but why did they have to disable the skip function? When I go to watch a DVD, I want to watch the movie above all else. If I wanted to fast forward through a bunch of previews before the movie, I would have kept my VCR.:mad:

I'm much more likely to watch trailers if they're included on the DVD as extras. Heck, I like to see what's coming out. I like to watch trailers. But I like to watch them on my terms when I want too. If Universal tries to force me to watch them, it's only natural for me to resist.

edytwinky
10-27-03, 01:05 AM
That's why you start the movie, go to the bathroom and come back

Gerry P.
10-27-03, 03:13 AM
Must... Control... ANGER!...

mzupeman2
10-27-03, 04:32 AM
I hit the fast forward button a few times and it will fast forward through those suckers in a heartbeat, stop beeing such a weenie.

JM1
10-27-03, 04:34 AM
Y'know, I respect the idea that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and it's not my intention to crap all over everyone - but this is a bit of a no brainer for me.

If it's just a question of spending 15 seconds fast forwarding through a couple of trailers (and that's how long it took me - I have the DVD already), then it's a no brainer.

My point is this - if I can fast forward through them, then as far as I am concerned I am not being forced to watch those trailers.

It would not inconcievable to me to cancel my order for something so trivial.

OK, if you want to make a stand, make your point etc, then do it if you wish. But it would take something a but more serious than this to make me think twice about buying an otherwise desired disc.

To me , this is right up there with no booklets and inserts -I mean, I look at the damn things once if i'm lucky. And if I want to know the chapters, I use the scene selection on the menus.

mzupeman2
10-27-03, 04:42 AM
Exactly, what I wanted to say JM1, but too lazy since i just woke up and have to head to work soon.

I only care about the feature itself. If there are previews tagged on to the beginning of the film, it's really no big deal. I wouldn't even consider not buying a movie, just because of previews even if they weren't fast forward-able. I'd be pretty upset, but from then on I'd just do a scene selection and start from chapter one of the movie itself (I assume that would work?).

Kinyo
10-27-03, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by edytwinky

Thats exactly what I was gonna say.

JM1
10-27-03, 06:13 AM
You cannot get to the scene selection to do that, actually. The only thing you can do is fast forward. Tried everything else.

Steps
10-27-03, 06:18 AM
Go get 'em Thunderball.

I think a lot of these posts are missing the point. If we allow a social injustice to occur simply because we figured out how to navigate around it... we'll find ourselves in a position in which we have a hell of a lot (more) of social injustices to navigate around. Stop the insanity now!!!

"The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval. All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

marty888
10-27-03, 06:40 AM
Hmmm ... didn't they also have unskippable previews when it was shown in theaters?

Giantrobo
10-27-03, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by marty888
Hmmm ... didn't they also have unskippable previews when it was shown in theaters?

yes, I guess having them on the dvd brings you one step closer to the "real thing".

LightTrinity
10-27-03, 07:30 AM
Soo ... I guess VHS tapes had forced trailers all the time!?
Did anyone compain then?

You could fastforward past VHS tape movie trailers. So what's the big deal? Yes, I would prefer, with the new technology benefits, to be able to skip, however, fastforward is what we have been doing for decades with VHS, so why complain?

matome
10-27-03, 08:01 AM
So what happens when they decide to disable the fast forward function? You know that's the next step.

Clemson656
10-27-03, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by LightTrinity
Soo ... I guess VHS tapes had forced trailers all the time!?
Did anyone compain then?

You could fastforward past VHS tape movie trailers. So what's the big deal? Yes, I would prefer, with the new technology benefits, to be able to skip, however, fastforward is what we have been doing for decades with VHS, so why complain?

When it's VHS, the technology did not allow us to easily skip the trailers. So, the only way we could skip is to us the fastforward function. Studios could say that they did not force us to watch the trailers. They just put them there. If any viewers do not want to watch, they may skip by using fastforward.

However, when the studio disables the skip function when the technology does allow, it clearly shows the intention for the "attempt" to force viewers to watch. Yes, viewers can skip by using fastforward, but it's inconvenient. The studio sure has thought about this and know that they could force "some viewers" to watch.

Well, even if they do not intend to do this amd the function is disable my mistake, it's still their fault to correct.

Anyway, it's individual's right not to purchase the DVD. I, of course not, do not like how the studio does this. But I don't care that much and will eventually purchase this movie.

Originally posted by matome
So what happens when they decide to disable the fast forward function? You know that's the next step.

As I said earlier in this post, I do not like the idea of that studio disables the skip function. But I can still live with that. If whenever studios decide to disable the fastforward function, I will join the strike and will not purchase the DVD's in this feature.

TomOpus
10-27-03, 08:32 AM
One of the great things about laserdisc being such a niche market.... no previews or ads. Sounds odd to say, but too bad DVD got to be so big.

(yeah, I know laserdiscs were more expensive... but still...) :)

matome
10-27-03, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by TomOpus
One of the great things about laserdisc being such a niche market.... no previews or ads. Sounds odd to say, but too bad DVD got to be so big.

(yeah, I know laserdiscs were more expensive... but still...) :)

...or copy-protection :D. Sure there were side breaks, but it was nice when the movie began playing as soon as you hit the Play button. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PixyJunket
10-27-03, 09:31 AM
I wasn't buying Hulk in the first place.. but this is my #1 pet peeve with the DVD format. None of the other pet peeves even come close to this abomination.

GuessWho
10-27-03, 09:45 AM
I'm boycotting movie theaters... they show previews before the movie! Bastards!

And TV? That's shit too, they actually STOP the program to show commercials. Boycott!!!

:p

folgersnyourcup
10-27-03, 09:51 AM
Some posters that are glossing over these issues are missing the point here. These forced trailers are DIFFERENT from the ones that are present on some titles when you hit play. With those you can simply go into scene selections and select the first scene to bypass them. These do not work that way. My DVD player does not fast forward very quickly and on my Babe DVD it took me about a minute to fast forward through terrible looking, non-anamorphic trailers that I know that I will have to sit through fast-forwarding every time I watch the film no matter what. Just saying to get up and go to the bathroom while these trailers run is ridiculous.

How about the people that decided the first station bugs weren't a big deal? Now we have ridiculous ones such as with Spike TV.... This is a ridiculous decision by Universal. I already have zero respect for them due to their seemingly endless parade of defective discs but the forced trailers are absurd. I read a newspaper article recently about how movie studios were toying with the idea of having ads for products like toothpaste, etc. forced before films. Is everyone fine with this??? I personally find having to sit through non-anamorphic trailers for The Cat In The Hat and Johnny English among others just as bad.

This is crap. Plain and simple. I don't understand how any of you are just accepting this as the way dvd's are progressing and moving on. Call Universal! Send them e-mails! Anything! We should not have to put up with this.

Rypro 525
10-27-03, 10:01 AM
I remeber a report from imdb a few months ago that these forced trailers are there because studies have shown people like to watch these.

nrose101
10-27-03, 10:27 AM
well personally I wouldn't order this disc cause it was the worst movie of the year so who cares.

PixyJunket
10-27-03, 10:29 AM
See, I don't care about station bugs or commercials, because (well not counting cable) I'm not paying to watch the program. When I pay $15-$20 for a movie I do NOT want to sit through adverts.

Gyno Rhino
10-27-03, 10:30 AM
I'm with folgersnyourcup.

This is ridiculous.

If they want to put them at the beginning of the disk, okay... But let us hit the menu button and skip over it! Those that WANT to watch that crap can sit there and watch it.

sracer
10-27-03, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Clemson656

Anyway, it's individual's right not to purchase the DVD. I, of course not, do not like how the studio does this. But I don't care that much and will eventually purchase this movie.

As I said earlier in this post, I do not like the idea of that studio disables the skip function. But I can still live with that. If whenever studios decide to disable the fastforward function, I will join the strike and will not purchase the DVD's in this feature.

The issue is, "should we allow disc producers to deliberately lock out functions for THEIR benefit?" and not, "what particular discomfort level do we find acceptable?"

nrose101
10-27-03, 11:01 AM
Well Universal seems to always do it that way. Disney has the right idea and lets you use your menu button. It has been that way for years I don't see why anyone would complain now.

Clemson656
10-27-03, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by sracer
The issue is, "should we allow disc producers to deliberately lock out functions for THEIR benefit?" and not, "what particular discomfort level do we find acceptable?"

And how my post disagrees with yours? Please read all of my post, don't simply quote only part of them.

Mr. Salty
10-27-03, 12:47 PM
1. The argument that there are "forced" previews when you see a movie in the theater is invalid. Every time you go to the theater the trailers are different. Every time you put a DVD in the player, the trailers will be the same. When you play "The Hulk" in 10 years, you'll still have to fast forward through the same 10 minutes of trailers, for movies that will probably be long forgotten.

2. Movie studios disabling a function on my DVD player is never a good thing. It's my equipment, my time and my choice. Let me hit the menu button. Paramount's latest releases have the right idea of how to present trailers.

3. If "The Hulk" works like other recent Universal releases, there is a work-around for this. During the copyright warning when you first insert the disc, press the stop button and then the menu button. You should be taken right to the menu. If you wait until the copyright warning is over though, you're screwed.

vice86
10-27-03, 12:58 PM
thats why backups are great...only the movie on the disc and nothing else.

Banky
10-27-03, 03:10 PM
http://members.aol.com/IXHITMAN/downwiththat.jpg

Josh H
10-27-03, 03:12 PM
Forced previews are awful. No reason to make someone sit/fast forward through the SAME previews everytime you watch the movie.

I actually like having trailers for other movies on the disc, but put them in the special features section. Don't force us to watch them.

calhoun07
10-27-03, 04:02 PM
I don't understand why (most) everybody in this thread is on the side of the studio on this one. I remember when Sixth Sense came out and this place was alive with the sound of bitching at the "forced trailers" on that realease (tho you could hit the menu button on there). "Forced trailers" are a minor annoynace when you can hit the menu button, but when that action is even not an option, it's time to 1) not buy the DVD at all or 2) if you own a region free player, import you another region's copy that does not have the forced trailers. That's what I plan on doing with Hulk, now that I have found this out.

With each passing thing forced upon us by advertisers and studios, the less and less resistant people are to it. Granted, one person cancelling their order on the movie will not hurt Universal, I know, but hopefully enough will do this and Universal will know their forced trailer DVDs are not selling as well.

Now, does anybody here know if the forced trailers are also on the DVD in other regions?

bigdogkt2003
10-27-03, 04:36 PM
And the movie SUCKED!

Jericho
10-27-03, 05:05 PM
Hey if you guys want to boycott that's fine, but I don't really see how it would change anything. I'd rather just get what I want and deal with it. Obviously not everything that is made is made as I want it.

Alan Smithee
10-27-03, 05:17 PM
I haven't seen this movie but was thinking of getting it, but since it's got forced trailers I won't bother. This just shows contempt for your audience.
For those who keep saying "it's no big deal", I think it's ironic you'd take the time to complain about someone complaining.

Apone26
10-27-03, 05:27 PM
While I agree that its not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but having a DVD player that only has a skip button makes this more troublesome than not. In order for me to fast forward I have to press and hold the skip button for a few seconds to get to 2X then again for 4x.. I think it goes up to 32x..
I'll buy the movie and watch it.. I'll just be annoyed that I don't get the menu screen right off the bat like I want it to and live with it. -I do watch trailiers that are on the disc to see whats coming out or remind myself why I wanted to bu a certain movie.

My 2 bits

TomOpus
10-27-03, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by calhoun07
Granted, one person cancelling their order on the movie will not hurt Universal, I know, but hopefully enough will do this and Universal will know their forced trailer DVDs are not selling as well. I understand what you're saying (and I feel your annoyance) but the problem is you have to get ~100,000 people that would've bought it to not buy it and each person to write to Universal to tell them why. Hit 'em hard in the pocketbook.

Unless you can do this, it's not going to change anything. The next best thing would be to have a couple major consumer publications writing articles about the public becoming annoyed with the situation. Somehow you have to get the studio's attention.

But I dunno... any other ideas?

Alan Smithee
10-27-03, 05:39 PM
http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/

jough
10-27-03, 06:40 PM
If you feel strongly about this, it's not enough that you don't buy it - you have to write to them and tell them that this is the REASON you're not buying it.

And I don't know what it is about my four year old Sony player, but nothing is ever forced on it - I can always skip anything. It may be a defect, but it's one to my advantage.

Anyway, I don't blame Universal for forced trailers - I blame the hardware manufacturers for taking away capabilities from their players - you should ALWAYS be able to skip trailers, skip right to the menu, etc.

JACOB
10-27-03, 06:53 PM
email:
universalstudios&dreamworks@leemarketing.com

JACOB

Apone26
10-27-03, 06:57 PM
Universal apparently has been having problems making disc that aren't messed up in some way. I just mailed off my Monty Python's Meaning of Life DVD to get a replacement from the compresion issues.. I emaield them twice regarding it and never got a reply. I finally found an 800 number to call regarding it..

RyoHazuki
10-27-03, 07:00 PM
In 1881 Tesla went to Budapest as an engineer for a telephone company and a year later took up a similar position in Paris. He went to the United States in 1884 and worked for American inventor Thomas Edison for a year before setting up his own workshop. For much of his time in the United States, Tesla worked with American industrialist George Westinghouse, who bought and successfully developed Tesla's patents, leading to the introduction of alternating current for power transmission. Tesla became a United States citizen in 1889. After his motherís death in 1892, he became increasingly withdrawn and eccentric. In 1912 both he and Edison were proposed for the Nobel Prize in physics, but Tesla refused to be associated with Edison, who he believed had conducted an unscrupulous campaign for the adoption of direct current. Neither inventor received the prize. Tesla neglected to patent many of his discoveries and made little profit from them. He lived his last years as a recluse and died in New York.

Mr. Salty
10-27-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
In 1881 Tesla went to Budapest as an engineer for a telephone company and a year later took up a similar position in Paris. He went to the United States in 1884 and worked for American inventor Thomas Edison for a year before setting up his own workshop. For much of his time in the United States, Tesla worked with American industrialist George Westinghouse, who bought and successfully developed Tesla's patents, leading to the introduction of alternating current for power transmission. Tesla became a United States citizen in 1889. After his motherís death in 1892, he became increasingly withdrawn and eccentric. In 1912 both he and Edison were proposed for the Nobel Prize in physics, but Tesla refused to be associated with Edison, who he believed had conducted an unscrupulous campaign for the adoption of direct current. Neither inventor received the prize. Tesla neglected to patent many of his discoveries and made little profit from them. He lived his last years as a recluse and died in New York.

OK.

dougshartzer
10-27-03, 07:21 PM
What a sad day for DVD consumers. -ohbfrank-

I feel that apathy is not the solution here. It's not about having to sit through 3 minutes of previews I would watch anyway. It's about choice and Universal taking it from you. Consumers losing the right to use a product the way they deem fit can't be cool.

I sent in my Kraft UPCs to get this practically free, but I'm writing a letter anyway. As a company trying to maximize profits, Universal will try to get away with as much as they can, unless consumers express their displeasure. I encourage everyone to take 5 minutes out of their day and give Universal their feelings on it's decision.

Doug

calhoun07
10-27-03, 07:30 PM
Another thing is that even if you watch the trailers in the bonus section on the DVD, and use that as a reason to not have a problem with this, you do not watch those trailers in the bonus section EVERY TIME you watch the DVD, do you? Not that I would probably make the Hulk one of my most watched DVDs, but still...

gutwrencher
10-27-03, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I canceled my preorder becuase I remember how horrible this film was...

I never went as far as to actually pre-order this mess.:p:D

talemyn
10-27-03, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by StevenSpielberg Originally posted by edytwinky
Thats exactly what I was gonna say. Replace "go to the bathroom" with "pop the popcorn and pour the drinks" and you had my sentiments exactly.

talemyn
10-27-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Steps
If we allow a social injustice to occur simply because we figured out how to navigate around it...Did you just refer to a technological inconvenience as a "social injustice"? Wow . . . boy do we need to find a new issue on which to redirect your indignation . . . maybe world hunger, child labor exploitation, depletion of natural resources . . . Let me know your pick and I'll send you more information.

zyzzle
10-27-03, 08:21 PM
This just is terrible. It's the principle. The studios are gaining control through ever so subtle manipulation of the consumer such as this. Yes, it is a "minor inconvenience" but imagine in 5 years when all movies will have it if we sit idly by and let this continue. Apathy is not the answer. Let's get those letters to Universal coming, folks! Here is one that I just wrote which can act as a springboard for you more lazy types:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentlemen:

Today is a sad day in the world of the DVD consumer.

I have just been informed that your DVD release of THE HULK contains unskippable previews that the viewer must watch prior to the film itself.

Although I have no interest in acquiring this title, I feel that this action is very alarming for several reasons:

1. Watching our favorite movies should be about CHOICE. Should we want to watch the previews, we should have that choice. But it is quite another story for you to FORCE us to watch them.

2. The previews take away valuable space that could be used to MUCH greater advantage by making the quality of the movie presentation better. The amount of compression needed for the main feature is increased because these "advertisements" take up valuable space in the finite digital capacity of the DVD disc.

3. You set a very bad precident and example. In ten years if this action continues, you will have us consumers paying $20 for 30 minutes of advertisements as a "bonus" accompanyment to our beloved movies.

So for now, I am very glad that I have a hacked player the has P-OPs disabled and I will be able to skip your forced advertisements. I will also speak with my wallet and refuse to purchase any future titles that contain unskippable advertisements. I will also encourage all of my friends in the industry to do the same.

Regards,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darkside
10-27-03, 08:33 PM
Universal sucks, what else is new.

fumanstan
10-27-03, 08:35 PM
Wow, talk about overreacting. My god, its a few minutes of stupid trailers. There are worse things in the world to complain about then a few ads on a dvd.

talemyn
10-27-03, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by zyzzle
This just is terrible. It's the principle. The studios are gaining control through ever so subtle manipulation of the consumer such as this. Yes, it is a "minor inconvenience" but imagine in 5 years when all movies will have it if we sit idly by and let this continue. Apathy is not the answer. Let's get those letters to Universal coming, folks!Yes . . . principles are important.

Yes . . . apathy is bad.

However . . . choosing what principles you are going to support and choosing when you are not going to be apathetic are essential, too. I've got far more important things in my life to get up in arms about than waiting a few extra minutes before seeing a movie. I'll stick with those. Once I have helped all of the kids in my youth group develop stable relationships with their parents and navigate there way through the minefield that is teenage life, I'll get back to you as to whether or not I can help you with your concerns about "unskippable trailers".

jough
10-27-03, 10:52 PM
It really doesn't take much time to draft a quick letter expressing your disapproval when a company does something you don't like. Vote with your wallet AND a letter to back it up. Yes, it really DOES make a difference.

Of course, writing a letter for every cheapened release (no insert, poor transfer, bad packaging, etc.) could be a full-time job.

DVDProfessor
10-27-03, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Thunderball
wonderfully amazing film

That's questionable (this was the worst movie I've ever seen!)

Plus the fact that you canceled a movie you want because of 10 minutes of previews is sad

talemyn
10-27-03, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by jough
Of course, writing a letter for every cheapened release (no insert, poor transfer, bad packaging, etc.) could be a full-time job. What you said here was the bulk of my point, jough.

DataZak
10-27-03, 11:02 PM
And here I thought Thunderball was just being sarcastic.

jough
10-27-03, 11:12 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has to choose their battles. And if this guy wants to get all pissed off over forced trailers, so be it.

I'll dash off a letter to Universal, because I'm building up a bank of form letters for each DVD-related offense:

No insert.
Forced trailers.
Shoddy packaging.
Poor transfer.
Too few chapter stops.
Menus that will not end.
Audio out of synch.
Etc.

zyzzle
10-27-03, 11:55 PM
Of course there are more important things to concern ourselves with in this fine world. This I certainly realize.

Normally I'm not one to get worked up over things like this, but the issue at hand, "forced trailers". really hits a nerve. It infringes upon my hobby and it really is needlessly greedy.

Which brings me to the point that the trend in business in the US these days seems to be more and more about greed and less and less about what the consumer wants. There are "interests" to be served and it seems those interests often do not favor the consumer. The forced-trailer issue is just another manifestation of that trend that I am seeing.

Now back to more important matters like thanking the valient efforts of the firemen who are working around the clock to quell these terrible fires in CA.

El-Kabong
10-28-03, 12:31 AM
Are forced trailers "No Big Deal"? No, not really.

Are they annoying as hell, but easy to deal with? Yeah - I think my remote can handle a couple of extra button pushes.

Should people complain? Hell yeah. Much like the TV bugs years ago when USA first introduced them, nobody complained. "It's a small thing - nothing to get worked up about" they said. Now look at TV today - bugs everywhere, squished programs on TNN, noise and animation. TV Bugs are no longer "just a small thing not important enough to get worked up over."

Say something now or forever hold your peace.

(Me - I got my Hulk thru Kraft, so I'm willing to put up with a little hassle. 3 bucks for a disc is a deal no matter how you slice it)

Thunderball
10-28-03, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by El-Kabong

(Me - I got my Hulk thru Kraft, so I'm willing to put up with a little hassle. 3 bucks for a disc is a deal no matter how you slice it)

I DISAGREE U R SUPPORTING THEM. U R ENCOURAGING THEM 2 DO THIS MORE OFTEN!!!!111

Mr. Salty
10-28-03, 12:52 AM
OK, I'll write this again for those who may have missed it:

During the copyright warning at the beginning of the disc, press Stop. Then press Menu.

You've skipped the forced trailers.

And while we're talking about skipping things, for those of you who want to come in here and bitch about the things other people find annoying, I wish you'd just skip the thread. DVD Talk exists so people can air their complaints and concerns. What bothers one person may not bother someone else. If this thread isn't your issue, move along to one that is.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago Disney started putting forced trailers on DVDs and people were almost unanimous in their hatred of the practice. Consumer complaints put an end to the practice. I hope that will be the case here.

Thunderball
10-28-03, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
OK, I'll write this again for those who may have missed it:

During the copyright warning at the beginning of the disc, press Stop. Then press Menu.

You've skipped the forced trailers.

And while we're talking about skipping things, for those of you who want to come in here and bitch about the things other people find annoying, I wish you'd just skip the thread. DVD Talk exists so people can air their complaints and concerns. What bothers one person may not bother someone else. If this thread isn't your issue, move along to one that is.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago Disney started putting forced trailers on DVDs and people were almost unanimous in their hatred of the practice. Consumer complaints put an end to the practice. I hope that will be the case here.

OMG DUDE! U R SO WRONG.

I shouldn't have 2 hit 2 buttons just to get thru teh previews.1 button should b enough!!!!

dcprules
10-28-03, 01:21 AM
I really have no problem with forced trailers as they are always at least skipable by simply fast forwarding. Granted, I like how Paramount lets us consumers choose if we want to watch the trailers or not, but I don't see the reason why people want to protest a release because there are previews. It's like people walking out of movie theaters because there are five minutes of ads before the previews. Hit the fast forward button at 20X for a total of about ten seconds (just did it with Babe) and you are done. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Now if people really want to get mad at Universal or other DVD companies, get mad at them for the lack of DVD inserts and having only promotional material for DVD notes or for stickers stating that there are security devices all over the box. At least that takes more than ten seconds to bypass through. That kind of irks me, but forced trailers, they have been forced for years and years and... most people like them.

jough
10-28-03, 01:45 AM
Thunderball, I admit to being suckered-in by your initial post. You got me. Bravo.

I'll add my 133t-5p34|< word to this:

F0rc3d tr4i|_3r5 5ux the coq!!!!!

talemyn
10-28-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
And while we're talking about skipping things, for those of you who want to come in here and bitch about the things other people find annoying, I wish you'd just skip the thread. DVD Talk exists so people can air their complaints and concerns. What bothers one person may not bother someone else. If this thread isn't your issue, move along to one that is.Funny . . . I always thought that discussion forums were for discussion.

I believed that the proposed response to the issue (an en masse email/letter campaign) was disproportionate to the severity of the issue. I expressed my view by using an exagarated comparison in response, to bring perspective into the discussion. This is a common debate tactic used for legitimate discussion . . . hardly "bitching".

For a more clear view of my opinion on the thread topic, I am going to agree with one of the points brought up by a member who has taken a position that has, in general, been contrary to mine:Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has to choose their battles. And if this guy wants to get all pissed off over forced trailers, so be it.My addition to this point I think that choosing your battles not only includes choosing which ones are worth fighting for, but, also, chosing which ones for which fighting may actually hurt your overall position. In this case, I believe that if the studios keep getting complaints about relatively minor issues (which, in my opinion, this is), then they may very well start viewing complaints as merely whining and bitching which could lessen the impact of future complaints and protests regarding more objectionable issues.

One last clarification . . . would I like to be able to skip past trailers? Yes. Is it a major concern of mine? No. Is it worth me fighting? Not in my opinion. However, if they ever start adding unskippable commercials during the movies, come back and see me. I'll even draft a form letter for us all to use.

Goldberg74
10-28-03, 09:53 AM
... and everyone thought I was nuts for boycotting "Cast Away" because of the use of the font Sand in the menus...

Just go and get your drink and your popcorn while the previews are running.

Roto
10-28-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by vice86
thats why backups are great...only the movie on the disc and nothing else.

Exactly. Go spend $100 for a DVD burner and learn how to make a backup that only has the movie on it. You don't have to deal with trailers, menus, FBI warnings or any of that crap. It's very handy and it keeps your collection in excellent condition for those of you that care about that.

markdclark43016
10-28-03, 10:58 AM
I was on the fence about whether or not to buy this disc. The unskippable trailers decided it for me. I have scratched it off my list.

Buford T Pusser
10-28-03, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunderball
OMG DUDE! U R SO WRONG.

I shouldn't have 2 hit 2 buttons just to get thru teh previews.1 button should b enough!!!!

:lol:

That salty dude has way too much energy with those buttons.

Buford T Pusser
10-28-03, 09:57 PM
I blame White Trash for forced trailers and no inserts!

Yellowbeard
10-28-03, 10:13 PM
You have all heard that you can't get something for nothing.

How do you thing the studio subsidized a promotion like the $3 Kraft/Hulk DVD?

What make it unfortunate is that everyone who pays full price must now bear the burden of unskipable previews for the few individuals who got the $3 deal.

I can understand those making this DVD a blind buy. However, the ones I really feel sorry for is the ones who saw the movie and are still compelled to buy the DVD.

fumanstan
10-28-03, 10:25 PM
Oh and what a burden it was. Took me about 20 seconds to fastforward the previews and watch the movie. I feel so robbed by Universal its ridiculous.

I mean seriously, trailers are in front of movies, were in front of VHS... it just seems ridiculous to make a few trailers a reason to not buy the dvd. Are they annoying? Sure... but its not some great injustice to consumerism. I can understand being upset, and taking a couple minutes to draft a letter of complaint if it matters to you. Little things can go a long way... but this just seems so trivial.

Thunderball
10-29-03, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by fumanstan
Oh and what a burden it was. Took me about 20 seconds to fastforward the previews and watch the movie. I feel so robbed by Universal its ridiculous.

I mean seriously, trailers are in front of movies, were in front of VHS... it just seems ridiculous to make a few trailers a reason to not buy the dvd. Are they annoying? Sure... but its not some great injustice to consumerism. I can understand being upset, and taking a couple minutes to draft a letter of complaint if it matters to you. Little things can go a long way... but this just seems so trivial.

:rolleyes:

You just don't understand!

JACOB
10-29-03, 01:04 AM
it didn' take me that long to fast forward through the previews either. just because there are forced trailers in front of the movie.. doesn;t mean that you must boycott the dvd.. its not going to work.

JACOB

darkside
10-29-03, 01:17 AM
Disney received complaints about the trailers and made it easier to skip them. It won't hurt to send off an email to Universal and complain. Considering how out of touch they are they probably don't realize it bugs anybody.

steebo777
10-29-03, 08:54 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't have any forced trailers on my Hulk DVD. I played it last night, saw the Universal logo come up and was ready to hit fast-forward, but no trailers came up. Anyone else experience this?

folgersnyourcup
10-29-03, 02:22 PM

Good for you. I am glad that your dvd player fast forwards quickly. Unfortunately, my dvd player, and many other's do not have fast forward features that are able to skip the previews that quickly. As I said earlier, I have to hold down fast forward for a little over a minute on my player. On Playstation 2 which has a VERY slow fast forward speed I would believe it if someone told me they had to fast forward for maybe a minute and a half to get past the trailers.... There should always be a choice, particularly in this day and age. I refuse to accept your argument that it just doesn't matter. Perhaps if enough people complain they will at the very least just re-enable the menu button again during the trailers. I am perfectly fine with that.

fumanstan
10-29-03, 02:31 PM
And i refuse to accept your argument that 1 to 2 minutes of time before a movie is that serious of an issue. I don't see how this day and age matters as well. I can be stopped in traffic for a minute starring at the same billboard. That doesn't mean i'm going to write a letter complaining that the billboard didn't appeal to me.

jarofclay73
10-29-03, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Yellowbeard
I can understand those making this DVD a blind buy. However, the ones I really feel sorry for is the ones who saw the movie and are still compelled to buy the DVD.

Dude, just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean you can just belittle those who did like it.

Yellowbeard
10-29-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jarofclay73
Dude, just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean you can just belittle those who did like it.

I never said I didn't like it. I just can't bring myself to purchase a copy.

folgersnyourcup
10-29-03, 06:08 PM
And i refuse to accept your argument that 1 to 2 minutes of time before a movie is that serious of an issue. I don't see how this day and age matters as well. I can be stopped in traffic for a minute starring at the same billboard. That doesn't mean i'm going to write a letter complaining that the billboard didn't appeal to me.

I said this day and age because we are past the abomination of a format which was pan and scan VHS. You specifically mentioned having trailers in front of VHS movies, which is why I brought that up. When you see films in the theatre, you don't see the same trailers every time. Even if you see the same film twice, chances are you will see different trailers. With these dvd's with unskippable trailers you will see the same garbage non-anamorphic trailers that you do now ten years from now. I'm glad you enjoy them but I do not. What if it were 45 minutes of unskippable trailers? Would you still be fine fast forwarding through them? How about if the fast forward function were disabled and 10 minutes of trailers were included on the DVD of one of your favorite films? Would you still just say "Oh what a burden it was. All I had to do was sit still and not move for 10 minutes and the trailers were over. Just like mommy makes me do when I misbehave!"

Universal could very easily disable the fast-forward function in the future if nobody writes letters expressing their disappointment in Universal's decision to have forced trailers at the start of their DVD's. Would you be perfectly fine with that? Can you honestly say that you would rather have these forced trailers at the beginning of the DVD than nothing? If not, then why mock us for finding e-mail adresses and phone numbers to take 30 seconds and let Universal know that we don't appreciate their decision?

Great, it doesn't bother you. You're obviously a better person than me.

JACOB
10-29-03, 06:36 PM
anyone have the intro button on the remote.. its the last button on my cyberhome dvd player. I click that and then hit title on it.. then I can skip the trailers.

JACOB

jough
10-29-03, 08:56 PM
I have an old Sony that will obediently go to the main menu whenever I push the menu button twice. It's nice.

I don't care *so* much about the forced previews, but if it was a title I'd be playing a lot it could get really annoying to have to skip past them EACH TIME, like on the Lion King disc. Shudder.

So I'm with you. They're a pain. I spent my ten minutes writing a snail mail letter to UHV, and hope that enough people do so that they get the message that this isn't something that people like.

dunstan
10-29-03, 09:07 PM
Yes... let's not bother ol' Universal with this. Let's just...accept this. Let's...just trust them to...know what's best for us. After all, I'm sure they...know things we don't...know. And I've even...heard that they have...evidence of weapons of mass destruction...

(frankly, my copy goes back tommorrow.)

calhoun07
10-31-03, 07:24 PM
Here is what I wrote to them. I hope it helps them get the message!
----- Original Message -----
To: universalstudios&dreamworks@leemarketing.com
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 7:21 PM
Subject: Hulk DVD and forced trailers

To whom it may concern:

This letter is to inform you that inspite of how much I enjoyed the movie, I cannot and will not bring myself to buy the current version of the movie Hulk on DVD due to the fact that the DVD has trailers for movie that come up as soon as you put the DVD in that cannot be skipped by hitting the "MENU" or skip chapter buttons. I find this sort of advertisement on DVDs to be unacceptable and will not support such product with my hard earned money.

If you cannot understand why this would be such an issue for a consumer to make them not buy a DVD they otherwise would have purchased, imagine if you were watching TV and commercials came on, however the network devised a method to make your remote control inoperative during the commercial breaks, so you could not turn to other channels to see what was on. Imagine your outrage at the networks for forcing you to either watch the commercials or making your private entertainment time at home terribly incovenient. That outrage is shared by me and many others (I assure you there are many others. For every one of us who write you, there are many more who just leave the DVD on the shelf. Don't believe me? Visit some DVD message boards in your spare time and see what I am talking about, and wake up to reality of consumer reaction to this type of product) and it's things like this that you put on the DVDs that will make consumers less likely to buy product from you in the future. I know I will never buy one of your DVDs blind, knowing you may put forced trailers on them, and will research the title first. And in the interim time, if I find something else from another studio to buy, you're just out my money.

I would also like to add that it's things like this that insult your audience. You either assume we will just accept this because that's the way trailers were on VHS tapes, or you just assume we won't be exposed to those movies other wise. I guarantee you that consumers do not want their DVD products to be like VHS tapes, especially in terms of having forced trailers at the beginning. I also promise you that if the movie you present is enjoyable and the viewer likes what they see, they will check out the bonus features, popular on all DVDs that have them, and will, in their own time and at their own free will, will take a look at any trailers you put in the bonus section of the DVD.

I hope you reconsider your stance on forced trailers on DVDs, and I hope you reissue Hulk without the forced trailers. You're losing money by not doing so, I assure you.

tacomantt
10-31-03, 09:18 PM
... imagine if you were watching TV and commercials came on, however the network devised a method to make your remote control inoperative during the commercial breaks, so you could not turn to other channels to see what was on...

No new ideas please. Who knows what can be done with the future digital TV and all the meta-data comming across the streams.

darkside
11-01-03, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by calhoun07
Here is what I wrote to them. I hope it helps them get the message!

I sent a similar email. I didn't buy the Hulk because I didn't like the movie, but I don't want this to become a trend. A few years ago emailing Disney eventually helped to get them to make their previews easier to skip. Hopefully Universal will get the message as well.

El Gordo
11-01-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by steebo777
I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't have any forced trailers on my Hulk DVD. I played it last night, saw the Universal logo come up and was ready to hit fast-forward, but no trailers came up. Anyone else experience this?

Same here. Went right into the movie. Nice.

RobCA
11-01-03, 11:04 AM
When I watched mine, a trailer came up. I think it was for 2 Fast, 2 Furious. :rolleyes: Fortunately, my DVD player fast-forwards at up to 64x, so it was just a blur. :D

Rob

Rypro 525
11-01-03, 05:38 PM
re lion king, on my player, all I had to do was hit the "next" button once to go straight to the main menu. (skipping the 1.5 min of cgi animation.)

jough
11-02-03, 02:13 PM
Rypro: evidently the Hulk DVD disables pressing the "Next" button, thus making the trailers "forced".

Another poster said to push "Stop" as soon as you see the first Warning screen, then push "Menu". That seems to work.

Still, it's a pain in the neck.

As Sam Peckinpah said:

"If you accept a first compromise, be assured that you will be brought, in spite of yourself, very often, to compromise again."

So if you accept these ads, eventually they'll turn everything to crap.

And eventually they'll do something you don't like, but it will already be too late.

Regardless of how big a deal some trailers are, they're a cheapening of DVD, and should be eliminated.

ben12
11-02-03, 03:56 PM
I'm skeptical. Everyone said the new Lion King DVD has an unskippable CGI intro with that bird, but I skipped right past that using the "next chapter" button. No FFing required. I bet it's the same with the Hulk.

matome
11-02-03, 04:01 PM
No, it's not (at least on any of my five players).

calhoun07
11-02-03, 05:32 PM
I can add to the testimony that it certainly does not have tailers you can skip past. No, I did not buy a copy, but somebody at work did and there was a DVD player there, so I put it in out of sheer curiosity, and sure enough, the trailers could not be skipped. I didn't try to do the "stop" then "menu" option, but I don't see why peoole should have to do that. The last time I had to do that with a DVD, it was because there was something wrong with my player that wouldn't allow the DVD to just come up to the menu by itself. In other words, if you have to do that, something is wrong, and the wrong clearly lies on the side of Universal here.