Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Warning: Carina AV80Z A/V rack

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

We just bought and put together 2 Carina units purchased from OfficeMax. One, the office cabinet with 9 cubbies for paper, is great so far. Easy to put together, all the pieces there, understandable instructions.
We also bought the AV80Z audio video rack. Nice dark cherry wood, easy to put together, glass shelves, etc. And rather affordable too [this one was 70 bucks, the one above, 50.]

BUT: On the box the dimensions are labeled 36" high, 21" across, and 18" deep. Not so. Even accounting for some loss of usable space due to the legs/supports, the measurements I came up with were 36" high [okay], and no more than 18" wide and 15.5" deep. I could deal with something like 20.5" wide by 17.75" deep, and call it rounding, but their measurements aren't even close to accurate. My DVD player, of course, is 17"x17", counting the inch or so for the cables in the back. My HT receiver, of course, is 17.25"x17", counting the inch for the cables.

I honestly had forgotten to add in the inch for the connectors, so that's my bad, but the measurements on the box are NOT what the product actually measures [unless I happened to get a fluke, mutated, shrunken version.] So, it's back to OfficeMax for me, and they get to get a put-together A/V rack, since I'm not going to waste my time taking it apart.

So: anybody have any suggestions for an A/V rack? I have the DVD player and HT reciever as listed above; getting a cable box with DVR, not sure of the dimensions on it; and maybe putting a subwoofer that's 12x16 on the bottom. So 4 shelves, including the top, would be fine. Would love to find something with some doors, but that's not a high priority. Oh yeah, and would like to spend 'as little as possible' [the next thing on my list is the Bush Eclipse, I think it's called, but that sucker is *big*. And over twice what this one I'm returning cost.]