Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

CELEBRATION OF THE LIZARD by The Doors

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-26-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that the "studio" version of this song became available for the first time when they released The Doors Box Set, and later released on the Absolute Best of the Doors collection...but I also remember the backstory to this: it sucked.

Back in 1968, they they were trying to lay down the tracks to their third studio album, their intention for Waiting For The Sun was to have the first side of the record be Celebration of the Lizard, but Jim Morrison couldn't keep it together. He'd be too drunk, or he'd not be in the serious frame of mind and kept f-ing it up, whatever. The Doors couldn't do it, and instead recorded a portion of the epic: Not To Touch The Earth.

So now the entire thing is on CD. Has anyone listened to this? Is it in the same order as the "Live" version:

+Lions In The Street
+Wake Up
+A Little Game
+The Hill Dwellers
+Not To Touch The Earth
+Names of the Kingdom
+The Palace of Exile

Lastly, are Jim Morrison's vocals an embarrassment, and should this studio take have been left on the production studio floor?

I, for one, would have loved to have seen Celebration of the Lizard take up the whole side of Waiting For The Sun, but The Doors felt it wasn't up to snuff...so what's changed?

P.S. In regards to Waiting For The Sun, you can tell Jim was drunk during the recording of Wintertime Love - he was completely out of key. Ironically, a cassette tape that had 2-on-1 studio albums of The Doors and Waiting For The Sun had an excellent take on Wintertime Love, and I never understood why they didn't use the perfect cut in place of the out of tune cut.